Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th Wheel hitches for a shortbed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two friends have the Superglide and would have anything else.

Casey
Old 10-15-2004, 11:28 PM

PULLRITE make an adaptor plate for the adaptor plate just for that situation.
I do not have one yet but I'm not worried yet. All it means is that they can't turn but can hook up and pullit out straight.
I love the Pullrite, people give me funny looks when I go to park my 5VR without getting out to set the slide or better yet, when someon else has to get out in the rain because they miscalculated the space and neede a sharp turn & all I do is just make the turn without even thinking about the trun radious.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:57 AM

Like you said the Pullrite is a little expensive but IMO worth every penny for the peace of mind when towing and parking 5er.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:56 PM

Call PULLRITE for the info or see your local dealer that you are getting the hitch from. I reccomend that you have the plate(the one that bolts to the pin box) welded to your pin box. There has been a few people that have had the adaptor plate come loose due to the bolts backing out.
As far as the Pullrite to normal plate I believe they run about $250-300. You could also probably buy a replacement pinbox for around the same price but it is alittle bukier to carry with you for emergencies.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:27 AM

I have a Reese slider. Got it for the first 5er. Only used the slide once, never seemed to need it. Traded up to a Kustom Koach Legacy,(same nose as a Titanium). Can come right around without moving the hitch. Now carrying the extra wt. of a slider for no reason.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:17 AM

SteveZ , I have the Draw Tite slider, pretty much the same as a Reese, with a Montana, Im wondering how often Ill have to slide it? With the Checy I had before the Ferd, I never needed to use the slide, plenty of clearance.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a SuperGlide 16k and love it. A few negatives to add, though (nothing's perfect):

1) EXTREMELY HEAVY!!!! Think about a hoist or other way of lifting that sucker out of your bed. I bought an electric hoist from Harbor Freight that works great. I remove the top section to make it easier to grab onto the rest of the hitch with my chains.

2) You have to be almost straight to hook up. The manual says 18 deg. But, I don't believe it. I tried just a slight angle and it would not latch. Also, I think it's harder to unhitch than my fixed Reese was. I find that I have to really back up the truck hard against the kingpin before I can pull the bar out.

3) $$$$

Other than those items, it is AWESOME!!! For someone like me who doesn't have an extended kingpin, there is NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE (except a long bed).
Old 10-21-2004, 11:00 AM

Reese Slider

I have the Reese slider in my short bed, and for the few times I have to use the slide, that extra $$$ and weight of the Pullrite were not worth it. Towing now for 6 years with no problems.
Ken
Old 10-21-2004, 11:30 AM

Flastro,
Only used the slider once with my previous 5er, was trying to back thru a gate around the side of the garage. By the time I hit an angle large enough to require sliding the hitch, I was trying to fit it into a place it wasn't meant to go. Hitch dealer actually tried to talk me out of a slider, said I'd probably never need it. The probably part worried me a bit, so I got one anyways. So, chances are you won't use it very much, but it's there if you need it. Pushing a pin at 90 degrees probably means you are trying to squeeze that big 35 footer into a spot it doesn't belong in. Also kinda hard on the trailer running gear.
Steve
Old 10-21-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by NJMurvin
I have a SuperGlide 16k and love it. A few negatives to add, though (nothing's perfect):
I have the 16K also and Love it

1) EXTREMELY HEAVY!!!! Think about a hoist or other way of lifting that sucker out of your bed. I bought an electric hoist from Harbor Freight that works great. I remove the top section to make it easier to grab onto the rest of the hitch with my chains.
I seperate mine into the Top plate, Hitch, and 2 rail pieces and can lift it out of the truck by myself if I need to.

2) You have to be almost straight to hook up. The manual says 18 deg. But, I don't believe it. I tried just a slight angle and it would not latch. Also, I think it's harder to unhitch than my fixed Reese was. I find that I have to really back up the truck hard against the kingpin before I can pull the bar out.
Hitching is easiest if you approach the trailer with a little trailer weight on the hitch. I have never had a problem un hitching.

3) $$$$
Most good things in life cost a little extra.

Other than those items, it is AWESOME!!! For someone like me who doesn't have an extended kingpin, there is NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE (except a long bed).
It is great to have my entire truck bed back when I pull out the hitch.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:18 PM

SteveZ, good point, now as long as the bed height is not too high I should be ok, Im going to install the hitch next week and hook up, the Ford allowed the Monty to sit level, and I know the bed height is somewhat taller on this one.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:16 PM

With the legacy hitched and sitting level, I've got 5-6in of rail clearance. Little tight when you hit a down ramp. Haven't hit it yet tho. Had a few winces and cringes.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:45 PM

Chaeck out my pics to see about what kind of clearance you will have
SuperGlide is worht the money and the lack of hassle when you really need it.