Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th wheel to gooseneck adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel to gooseneck adapter?

Anybody know about swapping the 5th wheel to a gooseneck? My dad inlaw did his with a cody adapter, seems ok but looks like it is not made out of heavy duty materials like a hitch should be.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:13 PM

Re:5th wheel to gooseneck adapter?

Hay I just bought an adapter for my 5th wheel rails from hideahitch you remove your 5th wheel an install this right on the same rails fits pretty nice I used it to pull a 53 foot trailer in from Ohio last week. But now I'm changing over the goose neck to a 5th wheel pin so all my trailers are the same. So I have a goose neck adapter for sale now.<br> it did work good I just want all the trailers the same<br> Bob
Old 05-04-2003, 09:24 PM

I do not have first hand experience, but, from what I have heard that is a BIG problem area that you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to look into. There have been numerous posts about the frame for the pin box just ain't heavy enough for a gooseneck adapter.<br>Tom
Old 05-05-2003, 08:42 AM

I would definately ask your trailer manufacturer about it. I am no engineer but from what I have heard it really changes the forces and loads on your trailer. <br> I asked my trailer manufacturer about it and they steared me away from it.<br> I must admit though if it will work in your case it would be great not to have to deal with a fifth wheel hitch in the truck bed when not towing.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:40 AM

Definitely not recommended, since it absolutely does change the loading on the kingpin mounting bracket that is part of your 5th wheel trailer. As far as the hitch goes, my hitch is removable from the truck when not towing, as it pins into hitch rails in the truck bed; all I have to do is pull the four pins and remove the hitch, leaving only the hitch rails in the truck bed when not towing.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

w4xtc,<br> If you are considering something like one of these; <br><br>I would strongly advise against it. Most trailer companies will void your warranty due to the stress it puts on the frame and in my opinion,,,,,,, It will eventually twist your camper into pieces! This topic has been talked about before on here as well as the other RV websites and the majority of opinions is DON'T USE ONE!<br>
Old 05-05-2003, 11:53 AM

hay the adapter I was talking about is not to change the trailer from a 5th wheel to a gooseneck but to change your hitch in the bed to a gooseneck ball. Like Grandpasram my 5er hitch is in on rails an comes out very easy this adapter that I bought is for a gooseneck that fits in on the same rails as my 5er hitch. I thought that is what was being talked about here sorry for the confusion I gave myself.<br> NO I would NOT ever change a 5th wheel trailer over to a gooseneck the mounting points are totaly differant an can not be safe. Now going the other way a gooseneck to a 5th wheel I think would be fine because the way the hitch part of the frame is built to start with on a gooseneck there tuff.<br> Bob
Old 05-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=Deezilla link=board=11;threadid=14348;start=0#135074 date=1052153619]<br> hay the adapter I was talking about is not to change the trailer from a 5th wheel to a gooseneck but to change your hitch in the bed to a gooseneck ball. Like Grandpasram my 5er hitch is in on rails an comes out very easy this adapter that I bought is for a gooseneck that fits in on the same rails as my 5er hitch. I thought that is what was being talked about here sorry for the confusion I gave myself.<br> NO I would NOT ever change a 5th wheel trailer over to a gooseneck the mounting points are totaly differant an can not be safe. Now going the other way a gooseneck to a 5th wheel I think would be fine because the way the hitch part of the frame is built to start with on a gooseneck there tuff.<br> Bob<br>[/quote]<br>Deeziilla,<br> I figured you were talking about something different, that's why I posted asking if that is what w4xtc was referring to. I've got a RBW 5th wheel hitch and I'm going to install a Draw-Tite GN hitch in the bed. The way my RBW mounts, still gives me room to mount the GN hitch. <br><br>
Old 05-05-2003, 03:45 PM

Deezilla I know somebody that wants an adaptor like what you re talking about. It is a 14k 5thwheel hitch and he wants to pull a 20ft gn drag to florida to pick up a bush hoge he bought it is a 15' batwing. He only really is going to use it once but it would be nice to have around in case he needs it. He wants to use my truck Nobody I mean NOBODY drives my truck when pulling. Heck Mark Got_smoke? Is the only guy other than me that has driven my truck sense turned up.<br>DM01
Old 05-07-2003, 07:22 AM

[quote author=RATTLINRAM link=board=11;threadid=14348;start=0#135032 date=1052147716]<br>w4xtc,<br> If you are considering something like one of these; <br><br>I would strongly advise against it. Most trailer companies will void your warranty due to the stress it puts on the frame and in my opinion,,,,,,, It will eventually twist your camper into pieces! This topic has been talked about before on here as well as the other RV websites and the majority of opinions is DON'T USE ONE!<br> <br>[/quote]<br>Hey, I never seen one of those before and I might have been a buyer for one...THANKS for the advice!!! You guys are GREAT!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:23 AM

DM01,<br> Check with your local RV dealer or hitch dealer for the drop in plate for the hitch rails. Mine is a Valley GN ball plate that pins into the rails that I remove the 5er hitch from. 4 pins and that is all there is to it. The ball plate cost me $175 new from the dealer, but I'm sure you could shop around and find it a little cheaper somewhere. I use mine when helping my youngest son move his farm equipment from one place to another.