Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

1200 mile trip pulling 5er.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1200 mile trip pulling 5er.........

and the CTD preformed flawlessly ;D We pulled our fifth wheel to Myrtle Beach SC from SE Ohio through the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia and back. I run in overdrive most of the trip (65 to 80 MPH @ 2100-2500 RPM). Learned that I need to be running around 60 MPH before taking out of OD and still reving over 3G!

Got 8-10 MPG ??? Does this sound right? I estimate my GCWR to be somewhere around 10G to 14G. I gotta think this is pretty good for a totally stock 4WD running mostly WOT.

Also, was wondering from those who have done it what it's like to run a straight pipe? Does this increase mileage and/or preformance? Noisy?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:1200 mile trip pulling 5er.........

[quote author=dcwm link=board=5;threadid=18105;start=0#msg169478 date=1060272080]
and the CTD preformed flawlessly ;D We pulled our fifth wheel to Myrtle Beach SC from SE Ohio through the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia and back. I run in overdrive most of the trip (65 to 80 MPH @ 2100-2500 RPM). Learned that I need to be running around 60 MPH before taking out of OD and still reving over 3G!

Got 8-10 MPG ??? Does this sound right? I estimate my GCWR to be somewhere around 10G to 14G. I gotta think this is pretty good for a totally stock 4WD running mostly WOT.

Also, was wondering from those who have done it what it's like to run a straight pipe? Does this increase mileage and/or preformance? Noisy?

Thanks!
[/quote]
Sounds like you had a good time! You are probably closer to the 14k on the comb weight and with the 4.10 gear and knowing the terrain, your mileage doesn't sound too bad. It seems that the higher you run over 2000 rpm,,,,, the less fuel mileage you get. The last time I went that way on my way to WI pulling a 30' Cougar 5er,,, I averaged about 12-12.5 mpg,, but ran slower speeds through the mountains due to severe rain storms. I also have 2wd and 3.54 gear.
I have no definite data that the straight pipe increased mileage or performance, but I can't help but think that the motor performs better without the very restrictive stock muffler (mine weighed a ton). I do think my EGT's dropped a little and turbo spool-up seems a little quicker running straight piped.
Noisy?,,,,,,,,,, Define noise,,,,, : ,,,,, Put it this way,,, I like the way that mine sounds! ;D However, I don't run with the sliding back glass open for very long, but with the side wings open, I don't think it's too bad. She will sing-out pretty good under a load though. ;D At cruising speed, I hardly even notice it. It's been straight piped for over a year now, and I'm not thinking about putting a muff back on. My advice is try it and if you don't like it, you can always put a less restrictive straight-thru muffler back on. Just my $.02
Old 08-07-2003, 12:42 PM

I have pulled my 9,000 lb 5th wheel to Myrtle Beach and to Disney World (2 seperate trips) from SW Pennsylvania. I usually average about 70-75mph in OD with the A/C on. My average mileage for both trips was right around 10mpg. When I have taken other trips, towing with OD off at slower speeds, the mpg's improve somewhat. I think the wind resistance with the big 5th wheel back there makes a HUGE difference. My latest trip was the first with the Edge Ez and I wish I would have bought it sooner. Mileage was the same but the power difference was impressive. I highly recommend some type of fueling box if you are towing.
I was straight piped but added a flow through muffler before this last trip also, due to the noise level inside the cab. The truck still sounds good, egt's didn't seem to be affected and it is much quieter in the cab. The Wife and Kids are now happy.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:45 PM

I pulled our 12,500 5er from CA to IN with all my mods and got about 12mpg (avg.). The lowest mpg was 9-10 and that was through the MT's. I tried to keep the speed around 65 in OD when I was running on flat ground. Seems like the higher RPM's, the lower MPG. As far as stright piped...not sure if any performance gains were made but it did lower the EGT's, and it sounds great.
Big dawg
Old 08-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Hey thanks guys for the advice! I figure I'll look into some Mods one of these days.....and...I may just run stock, I was soooo impressed with how sweet this truck handled the weight. I was also impressed that the TC stayed locked even while running wide open up the long grades. I would let the speed drop to around 55-60 MPH before dropping out of OD. When it shifts I let up on the fuel then right back down again, kinda like driving a stick with two gears

I'll probably try the straight pipe when the muffler falls off. ;D

RATTLINRAM, good to see someone else running an RBW hitch.....I was starting to wonder If I was the only one. My wife even complained that I should have bought Reese (just because Reese seems to be all you see). RBW makes a good hitch in my opinion.

Cheers

Old 08-08-2003, 09:00 PM

I recently pulled my 26' fiver from NE Mn to Niagra Falls, On and back (put on 2275 mi) and the worst mileage I got was heading south on I75 in Mich with a headwind. My trailer is not a tall one, and it weighs about 8k.
BTW I also have a 15k RBW hitch and it performs great.
Tom
Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=dcwm link=board=11;threadid=18105;start=0#msg169934 date=1060355466]
I'll probably try the straight pipe when the muffler falls off. ;D[/quote]
I'll give ya a little hint,,,,, they fall off real good with the help of a Saws-all! : ;D

[quote author=dcwm link=board=11;threadid=18105;start=0#msg169934 date=1060355466]
RATTLINRAM, good to see someone else running an RBW hitch.....I was starting to wonder If I was the only one. My wife even complained that I should have bought Reese (just because Reese seems to be all you see). RBW makes a good hitch in my opinion.[/quote]

I've had the RBW Universal Hitch in two trucks and I think it has held up great. There have been times when I wish I had the side to side pivot like the Lil Rocker, but I do prefer the way the bed-rails mount on mine. I can always get just the pivoting head to replace mine with, but I haven't done that as of yet.
Click on pic to inlarge
[img width=333 height=213]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/yabbse/attachments/RBW-hitch.JPG[/img]

Old 08-09-2003, 01:03 PM

I'll give ya a little hint,,,,, they fall off real good with the help of a Saws-all! : ;D

What do I do when the wife finds out!! EEKKKK!!!

I've had the RBW Universal Hitch in two trucks and I think it has held up great. There have been times when I wish I had the side to side pivot like the Lil Rocker, but I do prefer the way the bed-rails mount on mine. I can always get just the pivoting head to replace mine with, but I haven't done that as of yet.
Click on pic to inlarge
[img width=333 height=213]https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/yabbse/attachments/RBW-hitch.JPG[/img]

I have the 16K hitch and it pivots but not very much. A guy told me that the stationary hitch is better because it helps prevent the trailer (camper) from striking the bed rails on un even ground. Seems to me if your on ground THAT uneven your gonna bend something.

One thing about towing with a fifth wheel is that if you have always towed tag a longs you learn real quick that the 5er cuts to the inside of the radius! I come inches from taking the front end off a new Ford F250 in a McDonalds parking lot the day I was bringing the new unit home. It was a learning experience to say the least. :-