Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

The "You have not posted in a while" problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question The "You have not posted in a while" problem

Starting about the same time as the last site software upgrade I started receiving the following "canned message" when I first enter the DTR site:

Hello Trebor it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Well since I'm more of a listener than a talker I haven't had any reason to post until now. Now today, starting this evening when I accessed the site I was no longer logged on and was viewing as a guest. It was working just fine earlier today. Yes cookies by default are enabled. So what has changed and how do I or we correct this?

Bob Sova
Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, got the same message after the upgrade. I chose to post a message at the point where it said "why don't you...." I guess it didn't put me into guest mode. Haven't gotten that message since. But now I wonder if there is a timer running that checks to see if you haven't posted for a bit. If so, I'd like to know what the time limit is. I tend to listen more also.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Its a vBulletin thing for sure. I have seen it on another forum. I think 2 weeks is its timer default setting but I don't know for sure.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 AM

It is now working just fine as it always has in the past since I have posted. I just wonder if there might be any other additional hidden steps such as an automatic deletion for a user account if you exceed another predetermined time parameter once the warning period starts? Establishing the procedural requirement to logon each time could have an annoying detrimental effect on retaining members.

Thank you for your responses,

Bob S
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 AM

Thumbs down Going in the wrong direction...

I just got that message too. I'm not knocking Jack or this forum, but I thought this forum was open to all regardless if they are a daily poster or a daily reader but only occasional poster (Like I am).

I've been on other forums that if you don't post often enough you end up getting locked out... I really hope this forum isn't going that route... It would go against everything its billed as being.

Please eliminate this feature.

Sincerely, Mike
Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Good lord. Seems like a vast right wing conspiracy or something!! Look guys, the feature is not going to lock you out, and it also encourages people to have more input. If you don't want to post, then don't post. Unfortunately, you'll have to keep watching those messages go by. In the end, it has helped us increase the input of our membership, which is a good thing.

The feature stays at this point.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Hey Jack,
So how much did my wife pay ya to put this message on my login or was it Top's idea?

"Hello RATTLINRAM, it appears that you posted on our forums yesterday, why not take a few moments to buy the wife a gift, help provide a solution to world peace or just engage in doing some work around the house and stop spending so much time on that silly computer!"

Just kidding,,,,,,,,
Old 07-26-2007, 06:33 PM

maybe this post will get rid of that annoying message for me
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM

i hope I'm back in too!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Bye, Bye Message!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebor
just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
not trying to start anything but isnt this the reason some threads have been locked in the past?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by clutch1
not trying to start anything but isnt this the reason some threads have been locked in the past?
No sir it has not. The reason some of them have been closed in the past is because they said nothing at all (just childish banter) in an effort to increase their post count numbers.

If you have something valid to say, then by all means do so.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
No sir it has not. The reason some of them have been closed in the past is because they said nothing at all (just childish banter) in an effort to increase their post count numbers.

If you have something valid to say, then by all means do so.
That and the three word stories.