Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Why not a list of "members to call" for help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not a list of "members to call" for help...

I just returned from a trip to Ft. Collins, Co. and had no trouble with "ole whiteee", but it would be handy and stress relieving if there was a list that could be printed off and taken with you when you go on the road!

I know there is a poster in Greeley, Co. and one in Carbondale, Ks. and probably a couple of hands full in between that would have helped me (if I knew how to reach them).

I just read the post of the guy in Breckenridge with a fuel pump that quit. I wasn't too far away (until friday afternoon) and have a campaign pump in the box under my back seat, and a box of tools, and tired of visiting for 3 days!!!!

Maybe the name and home address could be listed and when someone was leaving and wanted further info. they could PM the folks in their path and get a cell number or some way to contact? Or maybe the list already exist and I'm unaware of it.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

That same question was posted last week.
From what i understand there are too many legal issues involved for that.
But here is a link to a map on Frappr.com that has a DTR members locations.
hope it helps.
http://www.frappr.com/dieseltruckresource
Old 11-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd just do a "shout out" post before you make a road trip. I know that's what i'm going to do this spring when I haul the race rig up to South Dakota (via I-15 through Utah, I-80 across Wyo, Rawlins to Casper up and over to Gillette, across I-90 to central SoDak HINT HINT!!!)
Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe we could have a "shout out" forum...
Old 11-25-2006, 08:19 PM

This thread belongs in the site Suggestions and Questions forum. I continually search the help forums for those in need that I may help. So far I have helped several people find what they needed within 45 minutes of posting in the help forums.

Next time you have a problem on the road post here first and you'll be amazed who lives in the area that you are stuck, who may be able to get you out of a jam within minutes of you posting on the help forum.

Happy to help out any time!

Rick
Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Muted User

What happens if you have no means of posting while on the road? What do you do then? I mean you can always find people who are along the travel route before hand, but what if you have trouble in the middle of nowhere and yeah... enough of this I dont need to get into an argument over this. Just wanted to add my thoughts.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 PM

This is America - I thought we all had GSM/EDGE phones bluetoothed to our laptops....
Old 11-25-2006, 08:59 PM

Or just take a members phone number with you and they can post up in the 911 section for ya...
Old 11-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is something we thought of when the state chapters got started and there is even a place on the application that asks if you would like to participate in something like this. However, it never really got off the ground, but it would be a great thing to get started. The TDR group has this feature and sends out a quarterly booklet with those that want to participate. In our VADTR chapter #7, I send out a member list to all the chapter members every so often that lists names, handles, addresses and phone numbers which is only to be used for our chapter functions. This is done voluntarily and I always keep a copy in the truck. In order for this to be done on a nation wide basis, it would need to be done the same way I think.
Then you need to take into consideration the folks that aren't crazy about giving that info out to just anyone. I've been on the TDR list for 7 years and never got a crank call or solicited in any way because of it. If I remember correctly, it is listed by state, city, Handle (website name), and phone. No address or actual name is listed. Beside each listing is a code that relates to if you want to be available for "emergency assistance" and/or "meet and greet". There are also codes for how much assistance you can volunteer, like tools, garage, knowledge, parts sources, etc.

I'm going to move this to Site suggestions and maybe we can come up with something that would not be too hard to put together.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:44 PM

Gerry, That reminds me of the number of guys that have called me out of the blue while awaiting a Tow!!

Rick
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have an issue with it. I think it would be good, especially for those of you who do a lot of travelling. Might be good to keep in your glove box just in case. You never know when you might need it. Pay it forward so to speak.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:22 PM

I think it's a great idea!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:30 PM

I frequent a BB for those interested in Antique Caterpillars. A few years ago someone started a post listing city, state, occupation and handle . Soon it was several pages long. I discovered there were three guys on there that lived within 20 miles of my house.

I also met a guy from New York who's son lived in a suburb of Kansas City who he visited at least yearly. He also went down to SE Kansas to help a friend with wheat harvest for a few weeks each summer. I invited him to stop in and when he did we went all over the country side looking at equipment I was aware of. He stayed 2 days. Then... 2 years latter I went to New York with my brother to pick up a car he purchased. I contacted Orrin in NY and we went up and spend 3 days getting a full tour of an area we weren't familiar with.

The friendships become more valuable then the help!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:51 PM

J BODY where abouts in central South Dakota you headin to? I live in south central South Dakota. I wouldnt mind meetin another cummins fan!!

Personally I think this would be a great idea to help fellow cummins owners. I would be glad to help anyone out anytime.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM

my02CTD,
Now see, when I head up to Sioux Falls you couldn't be too far out of the way!

Quick Reply: Why not a list of "members to call" for help...