Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Why was My Post Deleted

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why was My Post Deleted

I put in a post 'WARNING - [edited by admin] Oil Change' in the two forums on the evening of 11/12/04 and the post was deleted by next morning. This purpose of the post was to warn members of that this dealer uses non-diesel 10W-30 on all oil changes (incl. those of us with the Cummins). The post was put in two forums: 2nd & 3rd gen engine & drivettrain. The reason for both forums was because some members may read both posts.

Why were the posts deleted?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:19 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The rules specifically state that you cannot post specific dealer names on the website. Dodgeram.org has a dealer list though if you'd like to post to that.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Lawyers. We can't post the names of lousy dealerships 'cause we don't want them to sue Jack.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:33 AM
DTR Founder

It's not that I don't want you to post them. I know it sounds nuts, but I don't want to take the chance. I would rather not have to worry about dealers suing me like they have othe sites, and won.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:19 AM

Mark,

You could just make a "generic" post reminding everyone to check the places they get their oil changed to make sure they use diesel rated oil. I assume you could even include your own experience as long as you left the names out.

Jack,

Tell me if I am wrong.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It should go without saying that the "Fast Lubers" in the oil change industry don't have a clue as to what a CDT needs. I understand your frustration, but as always its "cavet emptor". (buyer beware)

I have had my share of stuff deleted too. Now you are offically a member!

Welcome to the deleted post club! We will be having a meeting at... [deleted by administrator]... to plan our revolt!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:57 AM
DTR Founder

Sorry guys. I know it can be frustrating. I'm just trying to maintain order and keep as many people happy as we possibly can, AND not violating the law or putting ourselves in jeopardy of some type of legal action. I know it's not perfect, and we cannot please everyone.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:16 AM

I don't blame you Jack. the world has gotten sue happy.
I got sued by a guy 5yrs ago for some work this guy never finished & had to hire someone else to complete the job. And the work was'nt even for me it was for my dad fixing his road to his house. My dad passed away & the guy saw it in the obits & came after me & won. It was easier to pay him $1200 out of the $2000 he was sueing for than to apeal the judges desision.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by amartinson
Mark,

You could just make a "generic" post reminding everyone to check the places they get their oil changed to make sure they use diesel rated oil. I assume you could even include your own experience as long as you left the names out.

Jack,

Tell me if I am wrong.
I should have read rules. The reason I wanted to indicate the specific dealer was so that other unsuspecting CTD customers would not make a grave mistake. I realize that I am preaching to the choir here, but there may be some trusting souls even on this site that would assume that the dealer knows what our truck need.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your intentions were in the right place Mark,
Please take the time to look at the Dealer Survey on the Dodgeram site. I always point folks over there to check out the ratings of dealerships in their area. You will even find comments from myself on two dealers in my area.
There is also nothing wrong with posting a bad experiance as long as you leave the names out. Then you can always include a "PM me or email me for more info" note on the post.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:18 PM

I understand the problems being addressed here. Forget badmouthing the 3rd rate shops. I would suggest adding a column titled Diesel Maintainece. People could go there to learn about proper maintenence and ask related questions. I am a firm believer in educating people so they understand what is going on so they don't get rooked by shysters and to help the do-it-yourselfers. I've managed fleets of vehicles and know first hand the importance of proper maintenence and the benefits you can gain. Another possibility would be to have a page describing an outline for generic maintenence and a Q&A that follows.
There are a lot of products out there that make some pretty fantastic claims and the unknowing will fall prey to the ads and cause serious damage. I know some things that work and a lot of things that don't work. So I try to use my experience to reccomend what is appropriate for the application. After 30+ years of this I can come pretty close to the mark.

Howard
Old 11-25-2004, 10:03 AM

Not that I want to stir the pot because its the same way here in canada there is no freedom of speech anymore. To me if you got screwed or get screwed then its your right to tell ppl about it. I don't want to come off as rude or anything but I have been taken a few times and not being able to warn others about them being taken is a hard thing for an honest person to swallow.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:08 AM
DTR Founder

Sorry, but unless you want to cover any lawsuits Jamie, it's not going to happen on this site. Who am I to determine whether any complaint it legitimate or not? That is something for the courts and the customer and dealer to work out, not me. I built a site for diesel trucks and fun. It's not fun for me when I'm having to go through a legal battle in court, or when I'm being threatened by big business. Why would it be worth it to me? I know that at least once Jamie, you have put out incorrect information because the incorrect information you put out was about me, on another site. That is a perfect example of this. What if someone has a problem with a dealer, but only gives out a skewed one sided story? I'm not going to be the one who's held responsible for such things. Free speech is alive and well in the US, but this site serves a purpose, and it's privately owned. You have no rights here. You have priviledges and you must abide by the rules. I will never waiver from this rule, ever.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:41 PM

Not that I am arguing with your point Jack which is very real and correct everyone weather be admitted or not is sue crazy these days. I am not implying that you yourself are censoring freedom of speech I should have been more specific, someone sueing you for some else's freedom of speech is just crazy. Thats like you calling me a liar or something and me turn around and sue you for defimation of charater its just a load of BS sometimes what ppl can get away with. I understand you can do nothing about it but avoid it I was more or less just saying that you can't say anything anywhere now without somone on you about it.