Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Possible new feature to consider

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible new feature to consider

Jack,

I have been thinking if it would be helpful for the board to have a section of Tips that make working on these truck easier. There are endless little tips that are helpful but do not constitute an article and if included in the regular posts are basically lost after a few days.

I can give you two examples.... The troublesome petcock on the plastic radiator tank, grease it with white lube and it will go in and out easily and not tear up the O ring.

Another is a problem I ran into with the EGT probe. The fitting is 1/4 inch and goes in new just fine, but run it a while and getting it out is a real challange. I drilled mine out the the next fractional drill size, .015 larger and it goes in and out fine with no leakage.

Just something to consider if it is feasable....

Thanks for a great board.
Bill
Old 02-01-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
most Boards have a FAQ - freq asked Questions.

that becomes a source of knowledge that is vital to newbies, and the newbies can learn while still lurking. a big benefit of that is that the senior guys can post thier opinions, and the newbies can judge the value of different mods/oils/tires/tricks by all the more learned guys input.

Here's a sample:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/guides.htm
Old 02-01-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent idea Bill, I second the motion!! ...Norm
Old 02-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We have a Tech Fact section with this type of stuff in it. We are always looking for contributions in this area.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:42 PM

Haulin' that is a great idea.....the F.A.Q. section could have a LOT more info in there....
Old 02-05-2004, 11:07 PM

So how do you go about getting it started?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Top
We have a Tech Fact section with this type of stuff in it. We are always looking for contributions in this area.
I think HID is on to something as well. Maybe calling it an FAQ isn't entirely accurate; may something like "Tips and Hints".

I just looked at the FAQ page and it has nothing to do with our trucks but rather in the use of this site; here it is:

User Maintenance
Why should I register?
Does this board use cookies?
How do I clear my cookies?
How can I change the information in my profile?
What is the signature for?
Help! I lost my password!
How do I add a custom status to my profile?
How do I get a picture under my username?
What are the buddy and ignore lists?

General Board Usage
Can I search the board?
Can I send email to other members of this board?
What is Private Messaging?
How do I use the Member List?
How do I use the calendar?
What are announcements?
How do I rate a thread?
What are referrals?

Reading and Posting Messages
Are there any special codes/tags I can use to format my posts and messages?
What are smilies?
Code Buttons and Clickable Smilies
How do I create and vote in polls?
What Are Attachments?
What are message icons?
Can I edit my own posts?
What Are Moderators?
Why have some of the words in my post been blanked-out?
What is email notification?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Check the Tech Facts button in the header.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Admin Team Leader

Look at the top of the page, it is called Tech Facts, been there for years now

It needs more added to it, so feel free to contact me regarding your submission's
Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Top
Look at the top of the page, it is called Tech Facts, been there for years now

It needs more added to it, so feel free to contact me regarding your submission's
Yep its there - thanks for reminding me. I've seen it but it is pretty weak; I had totally forgotten about it. There's no focus to it. Worse, go look at the 3rd gen info. I got a kick out of the "Does Ford own Cummins" tech fact in the general.

What you should do to start is put all those buttons under the donation button together with those in the header in an organized fashion. Then, in the Tech Facts (I'd still rename it to something more appropriate) add some links to the Cummins FAQ pages, Cummins fuel pages, add AAM, Dana, and New Venture as a starter for major OEM's, and add a page for TSB's. You could add an "Urban Legend" button that would include the aforementioned Ford - Cummins Tech Fact question.

Top, its unfortunate, but since constructive criticism isn't accepted here, I won't even bother to think about submitting anything other than stuff in the forums. And I'm not referring to you, Ed or the other Mods.

Chris
Old 02-06-2004, 10:46 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Top, its unfortunate, but since constructive criticism isn't accepted here, I won't even bother to think about submitting anything other than stuff in the forums. And I'm not referring to you, Ed or the other Mods.

Chris [/B]
Hmmm, okay, now I'm lost. We accept constructive criticism here all the time. The key word is constructive. Much of what we get is not, with no ideas on how to fix a situation, just complaining with no solutions. I guess that is just the nature of most people.

The constructive criticism we do get, much of it has been implemented. Without it, we would still be where we were 3 years ago.

Again, I am lost here. I would appreciate an explanation since you seem to be indirectly singling me out in your post.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Admin Team Leader

Chris,
I don't know what your problem is, I said it needs work. The way to get things improved around here is to DO something rather than talk about it.

If you think it is lacking than why don't you try and help out rather than criticize. Members that contribute their time and effort to help make the place better, are always appreciated.

This stuff doesn't fall out of the sky, somebody actually has to care enough to share some information, Use that pent up energy of yours to make a contribution to the good of the site, I do as well as all the other people who work here.

Many of your observations bear weight, we already have a person working on putting together a TSB section. I also have a member who is doing a write up on the infamous 53 block.

We enjoy everybody posting their ideas here on how to make things better and we try to implement those that we can.

Everybody here has another Job, this is voluntary work by people who are committed to helping other people. If we don't work fast enough for you, then get off your duff and help out.

I can excuse your anger, I think it comes from wanting to see this place improve. I don't have a problem with that, and would be happy to work with you to achieve that goal.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:27 PM

Top/Jack, I'll address your concerns in a pm.

Bill and everyone else (Top and Jack too), you have my apologies for interjecting here. I had no intention of hijacking Bill's original thread or idea.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

v/r
Chris
Old 02-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Admin Team Leader

Chris,
Have a safe weekend !
Old 02-06-2004, 03:54 PM

Goodness Top, I probably spend as much time on here as anyone, but I have never noticed the "Tech Facts" heading. How dumb....

Quick Reply: Possible new feature to consider