Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Just curious ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious ...

... does anyone else notice how much people are starting to use the little symbols (*@#$%^) to bypass the "potty mouth" sensor on the DTR lately ??? It is really starting to get bad and makes those who are doing it look really illiterate and verbally challenged.

I have nothing against cussing ... hey, I'm a sailor and we perfected it ... but there is a time and a place for everything like when you slam yourself in the head with a slipped wrench, now THAT is a great time to let a string of your best ones fly !!! Not on a site where we like to have our wives and kids come to read a few good jokes and see some nice trucks.

Everyone usually polices (sensors) themselves to keep things agreeable and to comply with the operating orders of the DTR. If you wouldn't say it to your sweet, innocent granny ... don't say it here please.

PISTOL
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 AM

Agreed, although I am one of the guilty ones.. sometimes it just slips out
Scott
Old 08-16-2005, 01:19 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the forum rules included useing symbols to denote profanity???
If not maybe that should be added?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Slipped Out???
How can it slip out when all you have to do is use the Backspace key?
and UN-say it?
Just my feelings. Jim.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:34 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Please make yourself aware of the rules you agreed to when registering at DTR, specifically regarding profanity. "You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, racially based or biased, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you and you show proof of ownership or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material and you can show proof of consent. In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums."

Just copied and pasted that from a thread that got censored.... sure looks like the symbols arent kosher to me...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Jim Lane
Slipped Out???
How can it slip out when all you have to do is use the Backspace key?
and UN-say it?
Just my feelings. Jim.

Exactly ..... excuses don't cut it. Think before you type or just log off and come back after you get the taste of DIAL out of your mouth .

PISTOL
Old 08-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by PistolWhipt
Exactly ..... excuses don't cut it. Think before you type or just log off and come back after you get the taste of DIAL out of your mouth .

PISTOL
Thank You... P/W
A good squirt of dishwashing detergent in your mouth last a long time.
Jim
Old 08-16-2005, 08:23 AM

I use a different term

**** (self edit) or (insert favorite word here)... dont hurt no one and it allows u to use ur imagination....

Tx
Old 08-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Just curious ...

Originally posted by PistolWhipt
If you wouldn't say it to your sweet, innocent granny ... don't say it here please.

PISTOL
And even if you WOULD say it to your sweet, innocent granny...it still might not be appropriate here!!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:31 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisreyn
I thought the forum rules included useing symbols to denote profanity???
If not maybe that should be added?
Yes, it is against the rules that everyone agreed to when they registered here. The problem is that 99.9% of people who register here don't bother to read them. Unfortunately, that's why we have this problem. We try and police it as much as possible, but it's tough to have human eyes on every post.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by TxDiesel007
I use a different term

**** (self edit) or (insert favorite word here)... dont hurt no one and it allows u to use ur imagination....

Tx
READ our rules. Nuff Said.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We usually replace symbols/words that violate the site rules with "[EDIT]" when we see them. We dont always catch them all and some occurances get past us.

But they are the site rules that we all agreed to when we joined.

Rich.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:27 PM

I can't say that I am completely innocent in this regard ... I have filled in the blanks on a couple of my posts too. Not every other post though .

It shouldn't be up to Jack, the moderators or administrators to constantly be on the watch for something like this. I'd rather they spent their time watching the threads that take a turn for the worse (politics, religion, racism, etc ...).

Most of us are big kids that should be able to handle it using our own manners and morals as a guide. We got quite a few young un's (14 or 15 y/o) on this site these days that should be learning about their trucks instead of how to skirt the rules.

Not trying to ruffle feathers... just callin' em how I see's em. Thanks for listening.
PISTOL
Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
READ our rules. Nuff Said.
Yessir..

Primary reason ive tried to slow down my own words that slip out....:

Tx
Old 08-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I wonder if Jack could rework the software so you have to use the "preview post" option before submitting.

This would give everyone a chance to read their own posts and fix problems before hand.

It's not as bad as it used to be when they first annointed me a Moderator, but I still edit a couple language problems every day.

phox

Quick Reply: Just curious ...