Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

I think this Forum needs a sticky's or how to or FAQ Threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this Forum needs a sticky's or how to or FAQ Threads

Hey guys Ive been on various forums for 6 years now and lots of other forums have done this to cut down on the day to day of people asking the same questions. It seems every day that peope are asking about will 35's fit or my Edge only reads 39psi or this or that, you guys know what I mean.

I think by having a place that answers all of these question would help out alot, Ive seen it done on Pirate4x4 and it woks really well for the constant varage of the same questions.

One of the negitive things that will happen over here will be the lack of people willing to answer common questions because they can be found by using Search. Suddenly one day there will be no replies from some of the people who are in the know or the people that know how to work on these trucks and all they will get is no replies.

Maybe someone could draw up a simple FAQ section that people will have to get use to instead of posting about I can I get HID's, or how can I find an Edge J/A? Come on guys try using the Search feature or Google. Do you actually think you're the first person in the community to wonder about this.

So what do you guys think?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a kind of FAQ section, it is called "tech facts". There is some common stuff described in there, BHAF part numbers, stuff people used to ask at least once a week.

Not to Hijack, but..........
Can anyone tell me, what is a silencer ring and how do I remove it?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:29 PM

do a search
Old 10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i see a post about something thats been awnsered 20 times i just ignore it and go on about my buisness instead of getting all worked up.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Actually, this is something I was thinking about the other day...Site Admins...have you guys ever considering adding a wiki to DTR? I think that would give a great and easy way for knowledgable members to create articles and have the not so smart ones (like me) search them.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

I offered to do a FAQ quite a while back but the response was just like the current FAQ, non-existant.

I don't see why a single post at the top of each forum would be a problem, but it's not my site.

I will say that in my experience, FAQ's will do more good than you think. Sometimes people get on the Internet and don't sign up for an account on a site, they just want to search for info. A FAQ will help those members that are new or just don't know, but it will also help people that aren't even going to take the time to register. And isn't helping people what technical forums are all about? Come on guys, where's the love?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 PM

newbie to DTR and CTD here...

have been working up a storm searching and reading. gathering up basics.

IMHO a faq would help newbies like me and the same dumb questions posted again and again.

went to look at a 2003 CTD and wanted to know the gotha's. posted a question with little response. probably because it had been asked a jillion times.

spent 3+ hours last night digging with search. finanally did find what I was looking for.

I'm just glad DTR with it's huge database of information is available to all. an FAQ sections with links, would make the wealth of information here on DTR easier to find.

thanks again for hosting this excellent site!!!

Originally Posted by P.J
There is a kind of FAQ section, it is called "tech facts". There is some common stuff described in there, BHAF part numbers, stuff people used to ask at least once a week.

Not to Hijack, but..........
Can anyone tell me, what is a silencer ring and how do I remove it?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Banned

Here is a link to Pirate4X4 Toyota FAQ. The Pirate board is a very large hardcore 4x4 site. It has tons of avaiable info that covers pretty much all kinds off 4x4 and then has sub-catagories for Newbie and Harcore.

4wheeling and rockcrawling would not be what it is today if it wernt for this site. They also have detailed tech writeups and detailed part reviews.

Link of the "MUST READ TOY FAQ" all newbies check in and read.
Link removed by Admin- Do not post links to sites containing profanity

I know this would help out this site alot and im willing to help contribute.

Dan
Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Chapter President

Just look in the 1st gen section we have our own stickies, Maybe you should ask in the site news and questions section.

HTH
Old 10-12-2006, 08:27 AM

The "tech facts" section for the 3rd gen is "fuel filter change" and that's IT! WE can DO BETTER THAN THAT!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 AM

BigDan,

I think it's a great idea! It seems like everyday its the same questions...
Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 AM

I agree with BigDan.... we need stickys with tech info instead of just vendor info. (don't get me wrong I love having vendors on the site)
Every other forum I am a member of has stickys for useful tech info.

I think another thing that should be stickyed is blockheater cord info for 3rd gen trucks. I think I saw 3 threads this week about block heater cord's

ON A SIDE NOTE
I wish our vendors would hold "group buys" on stuff to give us even better discounts, I have had great experiences with GB's on other forums and would love to see them here.

My .02
Old 10-12-2006, 10:00 AM

TDR has really good luck with its group buys. It really helps us out.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We are always looking for additions to the Tech Facts section, as you can see we recently added the write up by Horsehauler on the oil change. If you have something you wish to submit, send it to me.

On the group buys issue, we do not allow group buys on DTR. As stated before we have no control over that stuff and do not wish to become liable when somebody doesn't get what they paid for.

Those things often end up like the EBAY sales that go sour and we don't want that to happen here.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If any of you want to set up a sticky for your favorite board like I made in the 1st gen forum, just send it to me as a PM and I'll post it, stick it, and lock it.

Quick Reply: I think this Forum needs a sticky's or how to or FAQ Threads