Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Definition Pop Up on words

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definition Pop Up on words

Hi guys,
Someone posted a link to www.dieselstop.com and I noticed a pretty neat feature they have on their boards (not to say these boards here aren't neat too ). Anyway, what they have is a feature/module of some sort that when you hover your cursor over certain words, a small definition appears above the word (see first post of this page ). I know our site has a glossary of terms, it would be great to cross reference the glossary with the keyword module so if someone is reading a post that has "CP3" or "CR" or "HPCR", when they hover over the word the definition will appear.

I thought it was kinda cool anyway, that was the first time I had seen something like that used for internal use and not just for ads.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:41 PM

Actually that is really cool. I would settle for a simple spell check function though.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
Actually that is really cool. I would settle for a simple spell check function though.
Spell check? We don't need no stinkin' spell check!!! Most folks on here would spend more time clicking the "change" button than they would typing!

How would we use words like fixin', ain't, gonna, and IMO?

That glossary feature would be great for a dude like me that don't know all those fancy terms! I love the "headbanger" and the "Git-R-Done" dude! We need import them!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:58 PM

something else those other sites have is hidden spam engines. You so much as drag your mouse across one a word that is underlined in the threads like that, and it acts as a search engine where it pops up different sites for that product. Not necessarily pop up, but will shw it for like 15 secs, and you have to wait for that to go down before you can finish reading a post.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HappyGA
..... but will shw it for like 15 secs......
Apparently HappyGA missed the post about "spell check"!!!

Sorry man, couldn't help it!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
Actually what I've told my users (I run a small forum for my family), is to install the Google toolbar, that has a spellcheck function built in.

Originally Posted by HappyGA
something else those other sites have is hidden spam engines. You so much as drag your mouse across one a word that is underlined in the threads like that, and it acts as a search engine where it pops up different sites for that product. Not necessarily pop up, but will shw it for like 15 secs, and you have to wait for that to go down before you can finish reading a post.
Right, that's what I've seen before too, that's why I thought it was so neat for it to be used for the powers of good and not evil.