Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Someone tried to steal my truck today while I was out of town. :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone tried to steal my truck today while I was out of town. :(

I have absolutely zero use for thieves, I hope every single one of them meets a suffering fate.

The one week I am out of town (I live in Maryland, I'm in Tampa, FL right now) some lowlife piece of trash tries to steal my truck out of my own driveway. Who wants a 312K mile 13 year old truck? Seriously?

I'm so mad I don't even know what to do, and feel (am) 100% helpless so far away.

My wife called me when she got home from work (with our almost 1-year old daughter in the back of her car), that my truck had rolled down the driveway and up against the phone pole in the front yard. It didn't make sense to me, since it's been sitting there in the driveway for a month or so with the parking brake on, and in gear.

She brought our daughter inside, then went back out and went to open the door and look inside. She found that the ignition is all busted up. Not sure what the heck is going on. I don't know if that's the end of story, if they are coming back for it, or what the heck is going on now. I'm worried they are going to come back. Wife, poor thing, is home alone and scared out of her mind now.

I'm at a total loss right now. Police are there, tried to pull prints, "might" have something, she's going to turn it in anyways.

This is absurd. Live here 3 years and get broken into when I am out of town.

Why go after a 13 year old 312K mile truck? There's a shiny Firebird sitting right next to it?!?

Fortunately, I never fixed my fuel shutoff solenoid (12V), so it will HOLD up to stay running, but I have to manually push it up myself. So, no matter how long they sat there cranking if they got it to crank, it wasn't gonna fire. Broken solenoid might have saved my butt.

In a weird sort of way, I kind of wish that it had actually been stolen, I was going to sell it anyways. Instead, now I get to deal with trying to fix this steering column, ignition, and deal with lowball buyers. I hope I can use the same ignition, otherwise I will have 2 sets of keys, or, have to buy all new locks/ignition.

I hate thieves. "I never thought it would happen to me."...always happens. One day that "other person" might be you. I've been meaning to install video surveillance for a long time time now...I sure wish that I had!!! Stop putting things off, get out there and do it before you wish you had!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM

sorry to hear that, on a brighter note at least they broke into your truck and not your house..

someone broke into my car before and took my ashtray that had change in it and an open pack of ciggs that had 1 left and my lighter in it.... part that baffles me is that i had a brand new alpine head unit sittin in the pass. seat on top of a brand new pioneer amp, a brand new pack of ciggs and they keys were in the ignition yet they didnt touch anything else... they make you wonder sometimes...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the video surveillance $ and Get your wife a gun for starters if she don't already have one. Sorry to hear about the truck. Complete crap!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Loaded SA XD9 and a Benelli Nova H2O are ready to go...and she's very well versed in how to use them.

It does make you wonder *** these people are thinking. Like, there was a couple dollars in cash and a $400 head unit that they didn't touch?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Loaded SA XD9 and a Benelli Nova H2O are ready to go...and she's very well versed in how to use them.

It does make you wonder *** these people are thinking. Like, there was a couple dollars in cash and a $400 head unit that they didn't touch?
That's what I'm talkin' about!

There's some stoooopid people out there for sure. Had my company truck stolen in Arizona when we lived down there. Can't understand why they didn't take my wife's Ram....much nicer truck (not the 07) and parked next to the work truck.
Anyway, cleaned out all the tools, my personal stuff (was loaded up to head out of town for work in the AM, duffle bag, boots, laptop, CDs, etc), head unit. Anyway, they dumped or unloaded the tools and hardware, even the stuff useless to anyone but me. Rodded the p!ss out of the truck, pumped about 80gal of diesel out onto the ground where they left it, vandalized it.
But they didn't steal the $1200 worth of new E rated tires, $500 tool box, transfer tank or the most expensive concrete form hardware that was in the truck.
I mean if you're gonna do it, do it right for cripes sakes and with the risk of getting caught, why not make the most of it and strip out all the easy valuables. (They had all night with it, coulda got the wheels, box, tank, etc too.)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 PM

They definitely only wanted the truck, nothing more. CB, CD/MP3 deck, cash, license plates sitting in the truck weren't touched.

Sucks. I have no idea how to go about fixing this or how much it will cost.

It's an uneasy feeling.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 AM

I hate thieves, been hit twice in 30 years. First, 84 chevy crew cab,454,4spd, great puller, would pass anything but a gas station. Second, fully street rodded 57 chevy, 2 door , 454, 5 speed, just finished 6 months before it went south. Hope who ever has it is enjoying it.....
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Those pictures anger me. There is no reason for that.

I'm about 50/50 for catching people breaking into my cars. Nobody has tried to steal one yet fortunately. Once my car was broken into and they stole my collection of illegally burned DVDs- oh the irony and justice. They left my laptop and wallet fortunately.