Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

And you guys say the 180 pump is inferior (PULL VIDEO!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you guys say the 180 pump is inferior (PULL VIDEO!)

Hooked last night with the new 35 spline Detroit locker and Yukon axles.
Just Rolled into the throttle nicely to avoid any more axle/driveshaft/ring & pinion/ and what ever else wants to let loose carnage.
They made us unhook the traction bars.. I didn't rub any more paint of the fenders this time though.
Click here to see Video (Video by my GF Le Rae)
Do you think I have enough fuel yet?

Pulled 281.78 feet.. 1st place was 307 feet, a Duramax.

I am considering pulling the plate back a hair to see if that may help a bit.. does it look like I'm putting out the fire? This pull was in 2nd gear & 3700RPM.. with 4.10s & 35" tires..
The pump is a stock 180 pump with AFC and other modifications, but with no tuning done at a pump shop. Pro Street 66/14 charger from HTT. I make about 51PSI on the street.

I appreciate any input!

BTW did you guys notice the nice dent in the box at the end.. Courtesy of a drunk at Tampico Saturday night after IRP.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW!!!! NICE!!!!
can you tell me whats been done to that pump? you say no work at a pump shop? what DVS?

never seen a 180 smoke that much!!!! not even with a hx35! how are egts?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
WOW!!!! NICE!!!!
can you tell me whats been done to that pump? you say no work at a pump shop? what DVS?

never seen a 180 smoke that much!!!! not even with a hx35! how are egts?
Laser Cut DVs by Scheids and some rack travel modifications.

EGTs were 1400-1500 at the end of the pull.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know Jeff Garmon would agree with you about the 180 pump.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:24 AM

Did you have the rear blocked.. it looked pretty stiff... What bars did they make you unhook??? Or are they just tied up??
Looking good...
Old 08-19-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
Did you have the rear blocked.. it looked pretty stiff... What bars did they make you unhook??? Or are they just tied up??
Looking good...
Thanks!

The rear has Timbrens on it.. They are coming off because when I do boosted launches they create a bounce.
I'm making some solid stops for Scheids!

The traction bars are unhooks by the frame, and ratchet strapped up.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bobcat698
Hooked last night with the new 35 spline Detroit locker and Yukon axles.
Just Rolled into the throttle nicely to avoid any more axle/driveshaft/ring & pinion/ and what ever else wants to let loose carnage.
They made us unhook the traction bars.. I didn't rub any more paint of the fenders this time though.
Click here to see Video (Video by my GF Le Rae)
Do you think I have enough fuel yet?

Pulled 281.78 feet.. 1st place was 307 feet, a Duramax.

I am considering pulling the plate back a hair to see if that may help a bit.. does it look like I'm putting out the fire? This pull was in 2nd gear & 3700RPM.. with 4.10s & 35" tires..
The pump is a stock 180 pump with AFC and other modifications, but with no tuning done at a pump shop. Pro Street 66/14 charger from HTT. I make about 51PSI on the street.

I appreciate any input!

BTW did you guys notice the nice dent in the box at the end.. Courtesy of a drunk at Tampico Saturday night after IRP.
What kind of rpm's are you turning? Would stepping down in tire size help any.....just a thought as 35's seem like you might be a little over tired? BTW, don't take me too serious as I dont' really know what I'm talking about. I want to pull, but haven't yet. Just studying on it. Just an observation. I've got 35's on my truck, but was thinking about putting on my 285's to pull with to keep wheel speed up. 'Course looks like no more air than what's in your tires, you've got plenty of power to turn them.

BTW, Mike is right, Garmin has plenty of 180 pumped trucks running 12's in the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
What kind of rpm's are you turning? Would stepping down in tire size help any.....just a thought as 35's seem like you might be a little over tired? BTW, don't take me too serious as I dont' really know what I'm talking about. I want to pull, but haven't yet. Just studying on it. Just an observation. I've got 35's on my truck, but was thinking about putting on my 285's to pull with to keep wheel speed up. 'Course looks like no more air than what's in your tires, you've got plenty of power to turn them.

BTW, Mike is right, Garmin has plenty of 180 pumped trucks running 12's in the 1/4 mile.
Like what I said in my original post:
"I am considering pulling the plate back a hair to see if that may help a bit.. does it look like I'm putting out the fire? This pull was in 2nd gear & 3700RPM.. with 4.10s & 35" tires.."

3700RPM

I'm thinking of trying my 33's.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bobcat698
Like what I said in my original post:
"I am considering pulling the plate back a hair to see if that may help a bit.. does it look like I'm putting out the fire? This pull was in 2nd gear & 3700RPM.. with 4.10s & 35" tires.."

3700RPM

I'm thinking of trying my 33's.
Dang, missed that 3700 rpm thing. I knew you said 35's. I'd think the 33's would help.....especially if you could TRY a set. As far as putting out the flame, can't answer that on a 12 valve...heck I can answer it on a 24v as I think maybe I am with M6's, HRVP, and TST.....I think I may have too much fuel for the BD twins....dunno.

I'll say this, judging by how black your smoke is all the way down the track, you've got plenty of fuel. You can always experiment with it. Try pulling the plate back and see how she runs so you can run the 35's. If not leave it like it is and see if running the 33's will push more air via higher rpms by the change in gearing because of the tire change.

Good luck, Matt

Wish I could make it to Scheid's to see you and my buddy Robert run. Hope you can get it dialed in.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the way your truck runs/sounds...you were still spinning tires when the sled stopped you, so I thing there's likely more to be had from the chassis before you start fussing with the engine tune. Of course, I'm not up to date on rules and whatnot, but getting a little weight transfer to those front meats might have gotten you some more traction...either some hanging weights, or lose the front spacers to bring the front end down. It seems all the bad-**** pulling trucks sit real low in the front, but by the time the sled stops them, they're level. This is all stuff you prolly know, just thought I'd put my observation in Oh, are you locked up front?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:50 PM

This is my very uneducated Opinion, but I almost think Laser Cut DV's, and big injectors are too much for a single turbo. I think you ought to try some 191's with the same setup you have as far as everything else, and just see how it goes. The truck pulls great, and I may not have a clue what im talking about, but it seems like the trucks that can somewhat clear the smoke usually pull pretty good. Let us know if you make any changes.

Eric
Old 08-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Garrett, after talking to you on the phone awhile ago, that's exactly the way I want my 97 to look. I checked out your sig, and will be making some adjustment's. I should be at Scheid's by Thursday night, I hope. See ya there, Gary
Old 08-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

dude, thats so cool!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:09 PM

what gives you that heavy top end fueling? Is it the D/V's? I have a 175 pump with a 3K + 191's rest of setup is similar to yours same injectors and my PS 62/12 cleans it up good above 20 lbs of boost. (toasty, but cleans it up good)
Old 08-19-2006, 09:21 PM

my truck smokes like that, however it dosent get hot extremely fast. dont get me wrong 3rd gear launches holding it at 3800 while the tires spin off and it'll try to break the peg off of 1500 but running through the gears shifting at 3500 it's passing 1200 in the middle 0f 4th but not to bad for the amount of fuel. it seems rpms really heat these truck up. i think if somone put 4k's in a stock truck it would get hot. these ddp4's really add alot of fuel though and in my 215 with full cuts and bench tuning it's way more than a 66mm charger needs but the timing really helps it. 2500-3500= hold on cause it's a serious rocket. im thinking it'ss definately dyno mid 500's

Quick Reply: And you guys say the 180 pump is inferior (PULL VIDEO!)