Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

? for you built auto guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke both factory shafts on my old 99 3500 with just a edge comp. Of course the deere 550 dozer on the trailer didnt help. Or being in 4low on a muddy pine thicket road on about a 12% or so grade. I just allways belive in overkill when rebuilding. If your gonna go half way might as well go full bore. JMO

Originally Posted by RowJ
Pros & cons of billet intermediate. Very few factory imtermediates break. Also, lots of disagreement on keeping factory input. I would not (and did not). My DTT has held perfectly for 5 yrs and 150,000 miles so I'm partial to them.
My top three choices would be DTT, HTS and Goerand. JMO

RJ
Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sodbuster03
.... I just allways belive in overkill when rebuilding. JMO
Total agree! The debate is which will take more abuse... stronger, but more rigid and more brittle, billet intermediate or the non billet (more willing to twist a bit) factory??
I'm not sure there is a definative answer either way but factory shaft seems to hold pretty well.... and saves $600-700.00.

RJ
Old 11-28-2008, 06:53 PM

Where is ddt located I am in Il and if I am going to have sombody install it I want it to be reasonably close to me.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 PM
The Guru

Good kill on the shafts sodbuster. That must have been some load. These engines sure can dish out the torque.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Banned

I try Dozer & trailer add up to around 23k. Not counting the 250 gal offroad fuel tank that was on the flatbed also. Think what the major factor in the breakage was the deep muddy ruts then found traction on a rock "ka boom" Should've unloaded the dozer & walked it in. but was allmost 5 miles in there to where we were gonna log. Besides tranny was cheaper to fix than the extra wear on the undercarriage of the deere.

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Good kill on the shafts sodbuster. That must have been some load. These engines sure can dish out the torque.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mviverit
Where is ddt located I am in Il and if I am going to have sombody install it I want it to be reasonably close to me.
Check HERE They have approved installers all over!

RJ
Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 AM

Thanks guys really appriciate all the imput. I cant wait to start this build up.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Well, for whatever reason ATS has gotten a bad rap here, but I love mine. Mine has the upgraded valve body, upgraded clutch packs, billet input shaft and 5 star viscuss clutch T/C. Unless you are doing hard launches I don't see you needing a billet flexplate. I would also consider the location of the shop you will be buying from. Closer to home is better in case you have issues.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM

DTT all the way!!! This is my 2nd DTT in my 12v. 1st was in a 98.5 I traded in. Got it built by Bill himself and shipped to me. Great tranny with tons of improvement. Plus I got a 48RE VB in my 47RE trans and what a diifer it makes.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to find a local guy, The ATS are good, I am partial to Dave G being one of his dealers/installers. Check warranties, Dave has the best. I cannot comment on HTS, never been into one. You can have the DTT Kondolay attitude, not for me!!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM

I had DTT once. won't happen again.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
The Guru

My first built tranny smoked the OD clutches and I lost 4ft gear. Just about threw me threw the window. It just kicked down out off fourth at 80mph. Stocker I blew out the TC lock-up clutch. The third was an billet intermedate shaft. Its impossible to build a bullet proof tranny for these monsters based on the RE47/48 design. I wonder how the new RE68 is doing. You could always go with the manual if you want bomb proof
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM

I have A HTS auto trans and it is the best choice I could have made,I put this tranny through hell pulling heavy loads(gooseneck loaded with block) 35,000 lbs + and it doesn't miss a beat. not to mention that dusty himself drives these trucks he has a 2nd and 3rd gen so he uses his own stuff i doubt the other guy's do that, the service is outstanding and he does the work himself not some medial paid worker that is just there for the pay check just slapping mass quantaties of trannies out the door. so if you want true and genuine service go with HTS.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
.... You can have the DTT Kondolay attitude, not for me!!
I agree that Bill, like many owners, should be locked in the shop and, as a general rule, kept away from customers........ but I bgt the Tranny, not the Man.
And I bgt the experience and reputation of my local installer in Dallas, TX.

RJ
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 AM
The Guru

I found them to be decent business people. They always want to get things in writting, but other than that mine was pretty easy. They must have their reasons. I just had dodge rebuild my hubs and upper and lower ball joints. They did an alignment, my truck pulled to the right and wandered. I asked for an alignment spec but they lost the sheet and didn't save the data. I took my truck to a different shop, they found that they put my front together wrong. Now is dialed in good. So stuff happens all over the place. Dodge, told me that they don't want my business any more. After that the DTT is pretty decent good people, they came thru for me. I just wish that they where closer to my town so I can get the regular DTT service.

Quick Reply: ? for you built auto guys