Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

? for you built auto guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? for you built auto guys

I plan on running around 450-500hp. I was looking at suncoast and ATS. ATS didnt have prices but suncoast was around $2700 for there tranny. besides a triple disc converted do I need anything else? Any other places that I can check out for around the same price? Any info would be helpful.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Do some searches on Goerend on here. The recommendations from site members is what made my decision. Dave Goerend is excellent to deal with and will build whatever your looking for. His transmissions can take whatever HP you throw at it. Good luck!
http://www.goerend.com/heavyduty.php
Old 11-26-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget HTS also. I love mine.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM

DTT very good
Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM

youll need at least a billet input shaft and an upgraded flywheel. goerend trans are awesome, great service
Old 11-26-2008, 04:06 PM
The Guru

Go for a full billet shaft and triple clutch set-up. Nobody tranny is indestructable, as I blow-up enough built tranny. My last one died from a broken intermediate shaft. All the names mentioned are top notch shops. If you use the truck and work it hard, do tranny oil changes and filter change out often. I do mine every second motor oil change. The tranny filter gets plugged up with debris and will start to limit you're line pressure (the pressure that applies force to the clutches)
Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 PM

mviverit,

is that the hp at the rear wheel or crank?

try Dave Goerend. He'll sell you what you need and not every thing on the shelf. I told him I wanted a tranny to hold 350 HP (crank). Got what he suggested, a modified front hub, VB and triple disk TQ. Has been in my truck 2.5 years now with no problems. I dyno'd at 377HP at the wheels (about 425 at the crank). I guess I got a little more power than planned.... But that tranny is working good.

good luck. let us know how you come along.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:38 AM

Thanks guys Il be sure to check them all out. I need a tranny soon before I start going for 500 at the rear wheels I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the imput.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 AM

Price shopping is not the best way to decide
When comparing prices make sure you are comparing apples to apples.The base transmissions are always much cheaper than the one that will hold what you need.
I have been using DTT for years and have been very satisfied the line up.

Bob
Old 11-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

Full Billet DTT all the way. 20K miles on mine with no problems alot of them towing from 8K up to 17K. And alot of non towing 20 psi boost launches
Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Yeah I am definalty wanting to add a triple disc converter, billet flexplate and billet imput shaft. No matter who I go with. Will I need anything else? Also Would installing all this be fairly easy to do with a couple buddies? I like HTS because there is no core charge and right now I am in afganistan and was wanting to do all the installing on my leave in January so I dont want to hafta hurry around to send my old tranny, valve body, and torque converter sent back.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:04 AM

DTT definitly
Old 11-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Banned

Havent researched much about HTS, I would go with Billet output & intermediate shafts. Since you are allready in there. Dont know about you doing the work yourself, pretty sure most trans have to be installed by auth shops in order for warranty to be in affect.
After looking at HTS's site. They seem a bit pricey. For a full billet trans $5329 without the converter & you installing. My DTT was just over 6K for everything & installed. No core either but my truck was down for about 2 & half weeks.

Originally Posted by mviverit
Yeah I am definalty wanting to add a triple disc converter, billet flexplate and billet imput shaft. No matter who I go with. Will I need anything else? Also Would installing all this be fairly easy to do with a couple buddies? I like HTS because there is no core charge and right now I am in afganistan and was wanting to do all the installing on my leave in January so I dont want to hafta hurry around to send my old tranny, valve body, and torque converter sent back.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sodbuster03
... I would go with Billet output & intermediate shafts.
Pros & cons of billet intermediate. Very few factory imtermediates break. Also, lots of disagreement on keeping factory input. I would not (and did not). My DTT has held perfectly for 5 yrs and 150,000 miles so I'm partial to them.
My top three choices would be DTT, HTS and Goerand. JMO

RJ
Old 11-28-2008, 09:45 AM
The Guru

I've broke an billet intermedate shaft right. If you can't live without you're truck find a shop that does exchange trannys and a decent warranty. If you got the exchange route, make sure you get the little parts like kick down linkages, brackets, as each year dodge changed stuff. Flush out the entire tranny coolers, heat exchanger. The next trick to get things to last is to adjust the kick down linkage, so it kick down right and not burn stuff out. Then go out and beat the heck out of it.

Quick Reply: ? for you built auto guys