Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

And yet another SMARTY question (w/EDGE COMP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And yet another SMARTY question (w/EDGE COMP)

Ok, I need to get a quick answer on this as I just sent my Edge Comp off to Edge cause something is wrong with it. The problem is that I told them to do the Drag update to it when they get it as well. I am about to order a SMARTY right now but have been reading for the last hour to find my answer and I am still not positive...
Is the Drag update not needed if you have the Smarty? I understand that the Smarty will eliminate the defuel like the Drag update does but does that mean that the Smarty will be pulling to (or past) redline and the Comp will stop at 2700? Or will the Smarty make it so the Comp doesn't stop fueling at 2700 anymore like the Drag update does?
I need to know so I can call Edge and cancel the Drag update and just have them fix the problem with the box if the Smarty does it.
Thanks!!!
I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:30 PM

Sorry I'm not able to answer your question, but here's a bump back to the top!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=94302
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 PM

Yup, I read through that one too but wasn't sure if it answered my question. I ordered the Smarty from you this evening Bob. Should I call Edge and tell them nevernind then on the DRAG? I think the answer is yes but I would like to be 100% positive.
Thanks all!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:56 AM

I don't know much, but I ask a lot of questions I'm told that the drag comp just adds a tremendous amount of fuel on the top end- basically it adds more than the ecm normally takes away above 2700. So my thinking is that the added top end fueling from the drag comp along with the lack of defueling from the smarty would result in a *lot* of fuel being dumped in on the top end. So imho you don't need the drag upgrade, but I haven't heard any drag comp/ smarty stackers complaining.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 AM

The way I understand it, the Drag Comp (or similar device) doesn’t actually eliminate defueling, it masks it. When you reach that magic 2700 RPM, the ECM still defuels but the Drag Comp (or similar) sends more fuel (above what it is already sending) to compensate for the amount being held back by the ECM. My question is does the Drag Comp monitor RPM’s or does it monitor the ECM signal to determine when it is supposed to “not defuel”? If it was based solely on RPM, you could encounter a situation where you had an unbelievable amount of fuel on the top end... which might be a pretty sweet deal especially if you were sled pulling. If it was based on the ECM signal, the Drag Comp may never get to a point where it thinks it needs to add that extra fuel, i.e., since the ECM defuels much later(3550), that fuel signal never shows a decrease so the Drag Comp doesn’t think it needs to add additional fuel.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:37 AM

I was going to get the drag upgrade for my comp but since getting the Smarty, I don't think I need it anymore. The Smarty doesn't defuel at 2700 anymore and fuels all the way to 3550 as you are probably aware. Now I'll say this, I've got a stock turbo and can't burn the fuel I have now, so if the Drag upgrade would fuel harder to 3550 than the Smarty/regular Comp allows now, I don't know. I just don't think I'll need anything that fuels any harder than my truck does now to 3550. You'd think if the Comp cuts off at 2700 and only the Smarty fuels to 3550 that I'd notice the Comp cutting off. This could be the limitations of my stock HX-35 or maybe since the Smarty modifies the ecm, that the ecm doesn't tell the Comp to stop fueling. Anyway, mine seems to fuel doggone hard to redline regardless of the gear.

We are having a local chapter get together for dyno and drag runs in April so I'm hoping someone will have a drag comp for an 01.5-02 that I can swap into my truck and see if makes a difference in either the 1/4 mile or on the dyno. I know one guy that has a 00 and has a drag comp, but I'm pretty sure it won't work for my truck.

Hope this helps some anyway. Sorry for an incomplete answer. I think the Smarty is still a little new to have all the answers yet.

Good luck, Matt
Old 03-03-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drag Comp will add nothing that is not already provided by the Smarty/Comp!

RJ
Old 03-03-2006, 01:35 PM

Cool

Perfect, thanks for the input. I called Edge to ask them to NOT do the Drag update. I also confirmed with them that the Edge module gets it's signal from the ECM, NOT the RPM's so doing the Drag update would do nothing for me if the Smarty eliminates the 2700rpm defueling signal from the ECM.
Man, it would be great if it did get it from RPM's cause I was having fantasys about setting my water/meth injection to come on hard at 2700 and just having CRAZY power with more fuel, lots of air and water/meth all hitting at 2700. What a ride that would be!