Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Yet another LP question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another LP question

How do you get to it? Take the starter off and reach it from underneath? I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna install my big line pusher system, and I climbed in, on, under, and around the engine trying to see if I could reach the LP. Can get one hand on it, sort of. Actually, can get one hand TO it. Is there a trick to it, or do you remove something else to get to it?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got an extra hand? (and a drop light) I unbolted the three bolts & harness and left the quick connect on, then go underneath and finish up from down there.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:46 PM
P.J
Banned

Standing on a 5 gallon bucket (with weight in it!) helps. Or kneeling on the battery/core support works too.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I remove the fuel filter to access the stock LP. I have to stand on an old milk case.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks yall.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a word of caution. While I was replacing my first lift pump I accidentally bumped the dipstick as I was leaning over the fender and I broke the handle off. Feeling like a total idiot for not pulling the dipstick in the first place, I went to the dealer to get a replacement. Well the replacements are just different enough that you also have to buy a new dipstick tube so it will all work.

The lesson learned...make sure you move anything that can be moved and broken so you don't have to replace it.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:13 PM

Well I installed my vulcan big line pusher pump system today, with my high dollar OEM carter pump. Man, what a difference! It's running just over 14.5 psi at idle, and I've been trying hard to get it down to 12.0 at WOT but unsuccessful. I have to admit I'm kinda proud of myself, I just took my time and didn't get mad with anything. The instructions were great, and everything made good sense. Bled the injectors and she fired right up. I got me a Corona and a cigar, checked for leaks, then strutted around in the driveway taking turns leaning on the truck and striking Hulk Hogan poses. Great kit. Solved my LP problems, saved some $$$, and I can really stand on it now without sweating the fuel pressure gauge. Gonna rip the pintle ring right off my trailer tomorrow!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:38 PM
P.J
Banned

I just took my time and didn't get mad with anything.
Good for you. The Vulcan kit is cool, serves the purpose and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm learning to do that more and more the older I get. It makes it so much more pleasant in the long haul. I've bent, broken and cursed at more things in haste and anger than I care to admit.

Nothing like the feeling of satisfaction you get by a job well done.

My wife watches me from a distance and shakes her head in disbelief sometimes.........
Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 PM

I installed my Vulcan about 3 weeks ago (got the last of the old style kits). I love it, 16.5 psi at idle can't pull it below 13 at wot.

I just reached around from the top and took my time like you stated.

I just upgraded to the 90 fittings for the fuel filter to VP. Working with Eric right now on the kit as we experienced interference with the PS pump cap and such.

Vulcan= great pressure without pressuring the bank account.
Can't say enough good things about the kit or the customer service.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:06 AM

Can't add much- vulcan kit works good and is easy to install with minimal cost and good customer service.
Originally Posted by P.J
Nothing like the feeling of satisfaction you get by a job well done.
In my case that only lasted until I noticed how badly I had scratched my truck up. Since then I've been calling Doug and Tim so I can did stuff done right without causing any damage-refer to sig