Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might be onto sumthin with the 02's. Mine surges with my BullyDog box also. (sorry quad, I got it cheap 2 years ago) Would be nice to see someone come up with a fix if possible. You'd be 1 step ahead of the competition then.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quad already is one step ahead of the competition. He'll just be further down the road then what he already is....
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 PM

Quad already is one step ahead of the competition. He'll just be further down the road then what he already is....
Well said. My bad!!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla

Also, I want to make sure I get this right. level 3 1400-1600 at a steady throttle but, when an incline or something makes the load increase on the motor? If you give it throttle or let out it is fine? This all happens with low boost but, I am assuming that boost starts to rise as the load increases slightly?
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have 4.10 gears and mine does it around 1750 RPM. If I give it throttle or let out it's fine, yes.

Is the converter locked during this? Does it do it in any gear? Like when you take off from a stop sign and run 30 mph or something and hold a steady throttle will it do this? Or is it only at highway speeds?

Also do you have a manual or automatic? I am guessing I wil figure this out from some of my other questions.
Wasn't paying attention to see if the converter was locked. Yes, it does it in any gear. It is MOST noticable say on a rural road where your trying to cruise at 30-35 MPH. The faster I go (progressing to highway speeds) the less harsh it is, but it's still definitely there. When I first downloaded the stock agressive tune, I towed locally that day 30-40 MPH. It was horrible. That's when I (prematurely) panicked because I was towing from Jersey to Georgia and back a week or so later. I wasn't able to get a hold of you in time, so I went south with the same tune. At between 65-75 MPH for most of the trip it was tollerable.

Mudman,

Do you have an auto or a manual?

Also want you to send me your email address.

I will send you something that will not surge but, it may lack some power. I just want to make sure I tune the right thing. Once I know I fixed it we will add back to it until the problem shows back up.

Here is my guess.......The trucks are automatics? For some reason when you are crusing at a steady throttle there is near 0 boost. As load increases slightly we fuel pretty good and there is not enough air to burn the fuel and that cause the bucking or surging.

I think this has to do with how hard we fuel down low. I mean they fuel right now and if you provide the right circumstances they fuel all the VP44 is capable of fueling without tapping the wire. If you have low boost it will not burn it but, this is the worse case I have heard of this.

Lets start with Plan A and then we will proceed down the line until we get it solved nd you are happy. I doubt it takes more than a couple of tries.

If any of my info or guesses is wrong please let me know.

Quad
Yes, it's an auto tranny. E-mail is: Squrl366@msn.com
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Its an auto thing which turns it into a boost thing!

I hate doing any mapped based boost because it is so lazy and so slow but, I will add a couple of safety catches to make sure you have some boost before you get all the fuel!!

I will get an update out ASAP.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Qzilla i opened up a thread posting this question but ifigure you be checking this mainly and may miss that thread.

Can you plug the xzt+ into a cammander and have the cammander control it instead of the switch?

Thanks Rob
Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to see an off position for running completely stock. A half (mild) timing increase only position. And a combined t & fuel but mild off the bottom like stock with a ramp up after say 1/3 throttle.

I have not been able to obtain these settings from the 650.00 programmer I bought (and dont have much confidence in the MFGs promises since they seem more interested in seeing 7000lb trucks going 150 mph than addressing these repeated requests for improved drivability) If someone else can supply what ice been asking for, they will probably acquire my business also.

I do have a question.. Since my current Blue Chip APB box already has a map sensor connection, how would I go about adding the new Map sensor wiring?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM

quad,,mudmans description is spot on for mine as well.....it does it when the convertor is locked(if it did do it unlocked,i doubt you could feel it thru the sloppy con anyways)...your explanation makes good sense,so we`ll see............artcindy@bellsouth.net............. ..thanks,bama
Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 PM

qzilla..murf here from Indiana

Qzilla...newbie here to the diesel scene and have got some issues it looks like your trying to resolve. my turck..01 dodge ram quad cab 4x4 automatic turbo diesel...mods..VP44 hot rod pump, jammer 3's, k&n Intake,5" mbrp exhuast, FASS fuel delivery system.

My issues are similar to the others here it seems like. My truck surges pretty badly at 1200-1600 rpm when cruising the back roads...and when I let off to come to a stop it seems to lobe really bad until I am almost stopped and then settles to a normal idle. I am in the process of adding a box or something for more power and to help with the tuning I hope. Let me know if you think the XZT+ will help out..thanks a ton man..MURF
Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM

another quick question...

Qzilla...any chance of a download that would be a good low end smoker with the hotrod pump tune? Just a thought. thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 PM

i know youve been busy quad,so i havent bothered you with this lately.ive been chasing the bucking thing,and cant seem to pin it down.ive been on several forums reading on others problems with this with all kinds of boxes from various dealers.seems most are 02`s,with some other models having it,but not near the numbers it seems......anyways,mine seems to get a slight bucking even on the timing setting now.oddly though,i towed around 7k lbs with it this weekend,and it didnt do it at all.i think it was because i kept boost up or throttle position was higher.....so i checked my map output,before your box,1.1 idle,2.9 wot.nice smooth increase between the extremes,no spiking or anything.at 1.3 to 1.6 is where i get the bucking.i can even be going downhill and hold it at this position and can faintly feel it.i also checked it after the box at harness going back to the stock harness heading to the computer,same numbers,all good,smooth transition,with the only difference being the 2.3 cap on high end boost number.so nothing seems off with my map....i also checked the apps thinking it may be wigging out.set it dead on the .483 idle as per the sticker on it,nice,smooth transition all the way to 3.5 wot.no spikes or flat spots seen at all.i checked this at the harness on the computer as to rule out anything in the loom also.....so that seems all good... i cleaned my iat sensor,but havent checked the resistances on it yet to make sure its doing correctly.but i will in the next few days...ive had a few folks recommend getting the computer reflashed to rule it out,but havent done that yet....i dug out my puck from diablo and tried it on it,and it had the same bucking,just not nearly as bad.it didnt used to have any of this with it before,but does now.........i know the possibilities go on and on,but im hoping the more info you have on this,maybe you can think of something.the vp and lift pump were replaced a year ago also.........i dont want anyone to think im knocking quads product here,i think its something in my particular truck,and im just trying to get any ideas i can from him or you all,,,thanks,,bama
Old 09-24-2007, 11:24 PM

Hmmmmmm. I think I see what the deal is.

Most MAP voltages should be around .54v at idle.

We had a customer call in the other day with a 120hp box. Said it runs great but, he kept getting a miss at idle. Well he worked very well with us and said he was getting 1.2v at idle!!! I have an 02 truck and I rechecked it and it was at .55v??

So long story short we wrote a new tune for it and it cleared it right up.

What I think is that if we remap the fueling based on the 1.1 idle we can solve it easily. Glad to know that you found that out.

The next question is do 2002 trucks have more than 1 available MAP sensor? I mean I know the MAP sensors on these trucks are notorious for being bad but, are the replacements different? I will have to investigate that.

The reason we buck more than the Diablo is that we fuel a good bit harder than they do, especially down low.

Let me see what I can come up with. I have your email address so look for an email from me.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM

quad,,im not sure on more than one available map,but i dont think so......i do know that when you buy a map for an 02 from cummins,you have to also buy the adapter harness seperately.so that would lead me to believe its actually for the earlier models,and may carry a slightly different voltage range......thanks alot,bama
Old 09-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Well, I was wrong. I was thinking about a 98 truck and not the 2002 trucks? I don't know I should stop posting stuff off the top of my head.

My charts show that 1.09v is idle for a 2002 truck, so you are very close. I show that 1.3v is around 3psi and 1.6v is around 9 psi.

Let me fix some stuff that would fall into that range and go from there.

Quad
Old 09-29-2007, 10:51 PM

hey quad,,i dont know if youve seen this thread running over on tdr or not,,check it out and see what you think,,its under second gen section,miss only with edge on,fixed......bama

Quick Reply: XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live