Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is doing the exact same thing as bama's. I noticed in your sig, you have a stock 02', just like me. Mine did it on the stock tune, but no where near as harsh as the stock aggressive tune and it doesn't do it at all on the timing only tune. I have yet to try the HRVP tune yet. Just like you, I love their products and am willing to go as far and wait as long as it takes to figure it out. After using this product, there's NO WAY I'm going back to stock .
Old 09-09-2007, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
I am pretty certain that the same thing that cures the VP will cure the problem for the big lines. It is a little tough to say exactly because I don't have a truck with them and I cannot mod the truck 2000 different ways to test it.

If you end up with a USB updatable box I will give it a fair effort to make it work within your 30 day money back period if that helps any??

Can you give me some info on when it does this. Like RPM, Boost and actaully if you have a scan tool Load% would be nice to know. Also, TP would be needed. If I have these I am certain I can make it go away.
I do have a Snap On Solus, but I have not hooked it up to see any specific parameters while it is loping. One thing I did get some amusement out of - when doing a cylinder kill test, it did not change the lopey idle. It sounds nasty whether it is idling on all six, or any combination of five cylinders.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:22 AM

looks like there are some issues to work out of the XZT+ box...for me this product is a good choice, but I'm hesitant until the lopey idle and surging/bucking (whatever ya'll wanna call it) is fixed. Looking for a no hassle solution & I like the stock, Timing (fuel saver mode), and the Fuel + timing (power/custom mode) options...but I'm not really a tinkerer so I doubt I'll be swapping and downloading & messing with it once it's in the truck...just want something that's easy and hassle free and gives me my fuel saver for daily driving and one additional mode for power/towing/fun etc...all smooth, dependable, and flawless. Quad I thin ya can do it bud, keep up the good work and keep us posted
Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Well, first you have to realize that the XZT+ box does NOT have a lopey idle. What these guys are talking about is their trucks already have a lopey idle and I think I can build them a tune to fix something that was already there.

The surging is prevelant on the aggressive tune, not the normal tunes. The problem is that the aggressive tune is just so good that everyone wants it. Right now there may be a few little downsides to it on some trucks but, as we get a few people to give some real feedback we will be able to solve the issue there as well. IT just fuels so hard it causes some surging.

I would say that the normal XZT+ like it comes from us is very good with little to no issues especially on stock trucks. It is when you start throwing in a ton of other mods that some of these things show up.

Also, I know you may not like to tinker but, if you ever try our USB setup it is so easy and fast you will use it. It is very handy and very simple!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunir
looks like there are some issues to work out of the XZT+ box...for me this product is a good choice, but I'm hesitant until the lopey idle and surging/bucking (whatever ya'll wanna call it) is fixed. Looking for a no hassle solution & I like the stock, Timing (fuel saver mode), and the Fuel + timing (power/custom mode) options...but I'm not really a tinkerer so I doubt I'll be swapping and downloading & messing with it once it's in the truck...just want something that's easy and hassle free and gives me my fuel saver for daily driving and one additional mode for power/towing/fun etc...all smooth, dependable, and flawless. Quad I thin ya can do it bud, keep up the good work and keep us posted
Sunir.......... I'll agree with what Quad has to say. When running the XZT+ with the supplied program, there are no adverse issues. Every single truck who has this "surging" issue has a modified motor and then only with the most aggressive tune Quadzilla has to offer. I have larger than stock injectors, so while running the aggressive tune, I do get a bit of a surge at light throttle, low rpm situations. Of course as soon as I throttle up, it will go away. I have found that the HRVP aggressive tune is the smoothest aggressive tune for MY truck. But the power is down a bit. But it still is more aggressive than the factory tune from Quadzilla. As for the lupey idle issue. People have had that BEFORE they even bought, much less installed the XZT+. Some trucks have it, some don't. The thing about it is, NOBODY knows why it happens or even know who toi fix it yet. Heck, my truck does it every now and then. But I've been adding 2-stroke oil to every 2nd or 3rd tank of fuel and my lupey idle has since dissappeared.......... You just gotta remember, the "surging" issue and the "lupey" issue are two completely different issues.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 PM

jpr,,,me and the other fellow have stock trucks.im not sure right now what the cause of our bucking is....both of ours does it on any of the fueling settings,neither does it on the timing only settings.thet do it on the stock program and worse on the aggressive setting...they both are 02 model trucks,if that has anything to do with it.my previous 02 also always had a surging with pucks,ez`s,and fueling boxes,but was alot more modded so i just took it as it was..................now,you know how your truck surges at light throttle,lower rpm situations,,,thats what mine does under the same circumstances,except it starts bucking there instead of surging.if i give it a little throttle,or let off the throttle a little,it smooths right out..i dont know if its a dirty map signal,or maybe a dirty apps signal,or just something screwy in the programming.i was hoping forsome insight on this from quad.i know hes not here,and cant magically tell me whats wrong,but since its his programming,and he knows what all he looks at to determine what he does with the fueling,i bet he has a pretty good guess at it........an 05 i had acted the same way with an xzt of his,and he flashed it and got it fixed up the first time..................i chased this same thing with my other 02,checking apps outputs and trying maps and didnt ever get it to quit.i always did wonder about the battery disconnect thing seemingly fixing it,for a day or so,then coming right back.i dont know what all that could be resetting when doing that..........we`ll get it worked out though im sure this time............bama
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Try the HRVP44 download on the web. It relies more heavily on TPS input and takes just a little more pedal to get the fuel going.

This may completely solve your issue?

Just because some of these tunes have a "name" on them does not mean you cannot use them. Any of the files will work fine on any truck. LIke the LG injector file works fine on a stock truck but, it is slightly lazy off the line compared to normal.

The interesting thing is that both of these are 2002's. I am really curious if the differences are more in the TPS instead of the pump?

Try that HRVP44 file and report back to us. You should know if it fixed it really soon. If that does fix it maybe we can split the difference in it and the aggressive tune and see what happens?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Hey Quad, I'm just intrested in trying some more of those tunes you have mentioned in the past. Just curious as to when you think some more will be up on the site? Also, I hate bugging you, but have you guys gotten any more of those raised decals? James (JPR Ram)
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by bama
jpr,,,me and the other fellow have stock trucks.im not sure right now what the cause of our bucking is....both of ours does it on any of the fueling settings,neither does it on the timing only settings.thet do it on the stock program and worse on the aggressive setting...they both are 02 model trucks,if that has anything to do with it.my previous 02 also always had a surging with pucks,ez`s,and fueling boxes,but was alot more modded so i just took it as it was..................now,you know how your truck surges at light throttle,lower rpm situations,,,thats what mine does under the same circumstances,except it starts bucking there instead of surging.if i give it a little throttle,or let off the throttle a little,it smooths right out..i dont know if its a dirty map signal,or maybe a dirty apps signal,or just something screwy in the programming.i was hoping forsome insight on this from quad.i know hes not here,and cant magically tell me whats wrong,but since its his programming,and he knows what all he looks at to determine what he does with the fueling,i bet he has a pretty good guess at it........an 05 i had acted the same way with an xzt of his,and he flashed it and got it fixed up the first time..................i chased this same thing with my other 02,checking apps outputs and trying maps and didnt ever get it to quit.i always did wonder about the battery disconnect thing seemingly fixing it,for a day or so,then coming right back.i dont know what all that could be resetting when doing that..........we`ll get it worked out though im sure this time............bama

Sunir,

Whatever is wrong, it seems it has something to do with 02' trucks and I'm sure it can be fixed. When bama describes his symptoms, I swear he stole my truck for a joy ride . I hope I didn't come across the wrong way. I'm not complaining. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I had another truck. I think this product is amazing, it's just new and the whole point of beta testing is to work out the bugs.
I'm towing again at the end of the week and I'll try out the HRVP tune and report back.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Hey Quad, I'm just intrested in trying some more of those tunes you have mentioned in the past. Just curious as to when you think some more will be up on the site? Also, I hate bugging you, but have you guys gotten any more of those raised decals? James (JPR Ram)
WE have them ready but, the problem is we have so many to put up that the website is starting to get cluttered! And in case you did not know we have been pretty dang busy around here with all sorts of stuff!

I have a new web developer startin on Monday and one of his first jobs is to get us a USB site that is easier to navigate and less cluttered with a good format.

So maybe next week we will get them up? I am not sure how long that should take but, it should not be long.

Mudman,

We will get it solved one way or another. That is the awesome thing about the USB. When needed we can literally tune on them until our fingers fall off and just email it to you if needed.

Really please report back after running the HRVP44 file. It has been the killer tune for a lot of guys so far.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Quad, did you get my Email?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM

I have no idea?????

You can pm me your name or email address or something so I can look!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
WE have them ready but, the problem is we have so many to put up that the website is starting to get cluttered! And in case you did not know we have been pretty dang busy around here with all sorts of stuff!

I have a new web developer startin on Monday and one of his first jobs is to get us a USB site that is easier to navigate and less cluttered with a good format.

So maybe next week we will get them up? I am not sure how long that should take but, it should not be long.
I know, you've been very busy for quite sometime now. I think you guys ROCK 'cause of it. Besides, I've already found the two I really like. I was just curious.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 PM

i tried the hrvp tune today,,,,,,,,slightly better,but still not good.1400 to 1600 bucking still there.tim ing only setting fine.....bama
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM

Shoot me your email address and I will send you an updated tune tomorrow.

Also, I want to make sure I get this right. level 3 1400-1600 at a steady throttle but, when an incline or something makes the load increase on the motor? If you give it throttle or let out it is fine? This all happens with low boost but, I am assuming that boost starts to rise as the load increases slightly?

Is the converter locked during this? Does it do it in any gear? Like when you take off from a stop sign and run 30 mph or something and hold a steady throttle will it do this? Or is it only at highway speeds?

Also do you have a manual or automatic? I am guessing I wil figure this out from some of my other questions.

Mudman,

Do you have an auto or a manual?

Also want you to send me your email address.

I will send you something that will not surge but, it may lack some power. I just want to make sure I tune the right thing. Once I know I fixed it we will add back to it until the problem shows back up.

Here is my guess.......The trucks are automatics? For some reason when you are crusing at a steady throttle there is near 0 boost. As load increases slightly we fuel pretty good and there is not enough air to burn the fuel and that cause the bucking or surging.

I think this has to do with how hard we fuel down low. I mean they fuel right now and if you provide the right circumstances they fuel all the VP44 is capable of fueling without tapping the wire. If you have low boost it will not burn it but, this is the worse case I have heard of this.

Lets start with Plan A and then we will proceed down the line until we get it solved nd you are happy. I doubt it takes more than a couple of tries.

If any of my info or guesses is wrong please let me know.

Quad

Quick Reply: XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live