Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just took off the van aaken and installed the xzt+. It definitely smokes more on the higher setting than the va and I still don't think it has quite as much bottom end as the va. The xzt+ is very smooth while accelerating and pulls well throughout the rpm range. I did notice a bit of surge on the highest setting cruising at 55. The timing only setting drives perfect and has a nice little kick in the pants for acceleration. I'd really like to try the updates to see if they are any different. Quadzilla, can you get me that update for a mac?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 PM
GFB

Definitely try the aggressive tune. Surely you can find a normal computer (LOL sorry) and download it. 5 minutes well spent!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 PM

I'm just curious as well quad when you think the race box might be released? I'm hoping that the go pedal won't be a touchy as the smarty down low. I know it will be nice to get more control over our fuel mods instead of having to spend 40,000+ on a 3rd gen so we can get the cool stuff from Smarty
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GFB
Definitely try the aggressive tune. Surely you can find a normal computer (LOL sorry) and download it. 5 minutes well spent!!
That's the problem-- it won't work with normal computers
Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 AM

Well, I have been updating from a MAC but, I have parallels and run XP on it as well.

Most people I know with a MAC also have XP on it for some reason. Running the MAC in XP would be the fastest way I know of to get you an update. I talked to my engineers yesterday and to do a MAC update would take a pretty long while.

The first time you do the update it takes 5 minutes or less. After that it takes about 1 minute or less. If you have a neighbor, or friend, or a work PC that might the fastest way to get it updated?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM

I tried using my brother's computer last night and no luck, it keeps telling me it is unable to connect to the module. The application downloads and starts up fine but as soon as I hook up the box and say "get info from module" it does nothing for a while, then it splits into two programs, thinks for a while and says unable to connect...what's the deal? How can it work for everyone else...

By the way I took a 150 mile trip this morning with the box on timing only at 67 mph on the interstate and got 21.3 mpg hand calculated, pretty good.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02growler
I tried using my brother's computer last night and no luck, it keeps telling me it is unable to connect to the module. The application downloads and starts up fine but as soon as I hook up the box and say "get info from module" it does nothing for a while, then it splits into two programs, thinks for a while and says unable to connect...what's the deal? How can it work for everyone else...

By the way I took a 150 mile trip this morning with the box on timing only at 67 mph on the interstate and got 21.3 mpg hand calculated, pretty good.
I had the same problem. It was something to do with the drivers not being installed properlly under file system 32 or something. I don't remember. Call Quadzilla and ask for Will. He was a big help and walked me through it step by step.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Don't plug the module in yet. Hit "update module" first and then plug it in. It did the same for me. It couldn't find the module if I plugged it in first. If I plugged it in while it was updating, it found the module right away.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 02growler
I just took off the van aaken and installed the xzt+. It definitely smokes more on the higher setting than the va and I still don't think it has quite as much bottom end as the va. The xzt+ is very smooth while accelerating and pulls well throughout the rpm range. I did notice a bit of surge on the highest setting cruising at 55. The timing only setting drives perfect and has a nice little kick in the pants for acceleration. I'd really like to try the updates to see if they are any different. Quadzilla, can you get me that update for a mac?
When you get the chance get the aggressive tune loaded onto it. It is WAY stronger on the bottom.

The factory tune we sent works very well but, it is pretty mild. Not everyone likes a touchy throttle or a lot of smoke down low so we made the factory tune fairly mild although it works well.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:46 PM

The USB has a time out built into it.

The easiest thing to do is get everything where you want it, then plug the module into the USB connector and then hit update. AS long as you do it within a few seconds everything is fine. Just don't leave it hooked up to the USB forever and then hit the button.

You can also do as the others suggested and click the update or module info button and then plug the module in. Either way will work fine.

Also, if you get the module information and then want to update it you need to unplug and re-plug the module back in to reset the USB before you hit the update button.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Not to jump in here but, I have to say I love that quad is working on pushing these 2nd gens and seems to truly care. That said I've been a long time fan of Edge and have used their products on all of my trucks, there corprate office is just down the road and customer service is good, but like I said Quad seems to care a great deal and I will be switching to one of his products as soon as I get this truck sold and back into a 2nd gen where I belong! Thanks Quad for not leaving us sloppy 2nd's behind!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 AM

I think the what we have now and what lies ahead in the very near future will make a lot of guys really happy.

I personally enjoy the Vp44 trucks a lot. It is the last motor that really gave you that gut wrenching torque that you can feel in your chest. I love the noise and I love how easy they are to work on.

With some of the new technology that we use on the current trucks, I think these will be a lot more fun to tinker with for you guys here very quickly.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM

I ran into this issue. Here is what I did for the fix.

When the system is intiating the usb to serial converter driver install, make sure to allow windows to search for available updates. Don't try of force the location or you will most likely get a error indicating that the usb device could not be started.

If you got this error, you will need to go to your control panel -- systems -- device manager -- and delete the improperly installed device (COM4?) and start the hardware install again. (ie unplug the module, delete the bad install, plug the module back in).

Once I had a good install, I had a little trouble with the update. Ended up having to unplug the module, shut the update program down, restart the program, plug the module in, query the module, then update. That sequence and that sequence only has worked for me.

I found out the hardway that the bad usb install can shut the module down or at least not function properly (got a CEL). Once I was able to get a good update things worked as expected. This was my issue and not Quad's, tried to do this in a hurry and didn't pay strict attention to detail.

Quad, sorry about not getting this back to you in a timely manor. I was showing a filly last week at the MO State Fair and then started construction on a new horse shed for my pasture mares, .... Sometimes life gets in the way of fun.

Charlie
Old 08-19-2007, 09:56 PM

I have a problem I hope someone can help with. I recently downloaded the stock aggressive tune (my truck is bone stock) and used it today for the first time. The original level three tune that came with the box was supposed to be for guys with slightly larger injectors, so I attributed the light bucking at certain speeds and RPM's to that. I towed about 150 miles today on the stock agressive tune and I have a very noticable surge/jerking at all speeds and anything less than 3/4 throttle. At 60-65 & faster it's progressively less noticable, but still there.
Here's my problem. I'm leaving tomorrow for an 1800 mile road trip and won't have time to call Quadzilla before I leave. Has anyone else experience the same problem and has anyone else tried the different tunes on the site. I have to pick one to download before I leave. I love the fueling on the stock agressive tune, especially down low. If it weren't for the jerking, it would be perfect.

Hope someone can help. After using the XZT+, I really don't want to have to use the stock setting for such a long trip.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:43 PM
GFB

I have the same problem, but attributed it to my jammers. I really only use the fuel mode for playing anyway, so no big deal to me. Normally I drive on timing only (better fuel mileage) and rarely have the surging/bucking on that level. I have noticed that the bucking goes away when I use the cruise control, even with the full aggressive tune.

So, use the cruise and timing mode. You'll get better mpg anyway.

Quick Reply: XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live