Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I had some surging issues with the cruise control on also, back when I was running the Banks Ottomind. What I found was it was an issue with the vacuum/APPS/Banks fueling. I did this little trick I found here on this site. I got a piece of straw from a WD-40 can and inserted it into the vacuum tube right at the vacuum modulator. Works great.

So maybe this might some of your issue and not all a Quad thing.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
You know, I had some surging issues with the cruise control on also, back when I was running the Banks Ottomind. What I found was it was an issue with the vacuum/APPS/Banks fueling. I did this little trick I found here on this site. I got a piece of straw from a WD-40 can and inserted it into the vacuum tube right at the vacuum modulator. Works great.

So maybe this might some of your issue and not all a Quad thing.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
If I remember right, I only used about an inch of the red straw.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
By all means, try the HRVP44 tuning. It might be just what you need?

If not, shoot me your email address and tell me where you have the issue and what tunes you have tried. I know the one but, have your tried anymore? Also what RPMS are you turning?

I sent out some reduced timing files today and will know how those work soon I think.

I will find out if it is the timing or not and then I can work from there.

Also, how steady is your factory cruise control? If you turn the switch off does it run just as steady as a rock or does it surge there as well?
Quad,

My cruise is pretty much rock solid. I can set it and might drop a mph or two when climbing a hill but other than that, it's spot on. I'm getting my bucking in the low rpms (below 1800). One thing that I might need to mention is I tried to do an apps voltage reset a while back and didn't have any luck. Apps voltage should be .518V but it read 1.05V at the firewall. I adjusted it to 1.05V, did the reset and it threw codes and didn't run right so I put it back where it was. Maybe this is my problem??? Anyway, I downloaded the HRVP tune and will give it a try and see how I like it.

And Quad, you give customer service a new name. How many other manufactures are willing to come to an open forum and discuss issues with customers. This is the main reason I bought your product because I knew if I had problems, you or your staff would help anyway you can. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, the toggle switch is off-timing-timing and fuel. So, the middle is timing only. Some people swear they can feel it, I personally can't. I can hear it if I am under any load at all and flip the switch though and it does make roughly 25rwhp on the dyno.

I am working with a couple of guys on some reduced timing stuff to see if that stops some of the surging. I will keep you posted on that stuff.

On cruise control is should never surge. We do some special stuff there and if it is acting up with curise on then something else is wrong.
Your the designer so if you say timing is in the middle then it's in the middle. But, you might want to send out an APB on that because I have about 4 guys on another forum that were telling me that OFF is in the middle when I was on my quest to find out what position did what.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM

Well, I promise the middle is timing only.

If you want to make darn sure you are in timing only mode then take the switch off and it will default to timing only mode.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:06 PM

Now let me say Quad, your products are superior. You and your guys are the best when it comes to customer service. I plan to continue the use of your products for some time to come. But I have to disagree with you on this one item. A few weeks ago I was having some problems with mine (which BTW turns out had nothing to do with the XZT+), so I did some diagnostic checking. You told me that on the switch, one wire will always have 5 volts, with one of the others for the timing only or timing/fueling depending on the position. The off position will have the same wire at 5 volts and both the others with zero volts. My results:
The switch all the way to one side: red wire 5.01 volts, green wire 5.01 volts, white wire .03 volts.
Switch in the middle: red wire 5.01 volts, green wire .03 volts, white wire .03 volts.
Switch all the way to the other side: red 5.01 volts, green wire .03 volts, white wire 5.01 volts.

So judging from my above results, the middle position is off on mine. BUT I do have a beta box. I haven't turned it in for a production box. Maybe the production models are different.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Well, I put the HRVP tune and it still surges a little below 1800rpms even with the cruise on. I can live with it but will try all the new tunes coming out until I find just the right one.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:59 AM

I also have the bucking/surging. I will try some of tips given in the earlier posts. Obviously it is the signals from the engine on the auto trucks.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Now let me say Quad, your products are superior. You and your guys are the best when it comes to customer service. I plan to continue the use of your products for some time to come. But I have to disagree with you on this one item. A few weeks ago I was having some problems with mine (which BTW turns out had nothing to do with the XZT+), so I did some diagnostic checking. You told me that on the switch, one wire will always have 5 volts, with one of the others for the timing only or timing/fueling depending on the position. The off position will have the same wire at 5 volts and both the others with zero volts. My results:
The switch all the way to one side: red wire 5.01 volts, green wire 5.01 volts, white wire .03 volts.
Switch in the middle: red wire 5.01 volts, green wire .03 volts, white wire .03 volts.
Switch all the way to the other side: red 5.01 volts, green wire .03 volts, white wire 5.01 volts.

So judging from my above results, the middle position is off on mine. BUT I do have a beta box. I haven't turned it in for a production box. Maybe the production models are different.

In software I can make the switch being ZERO volts the high setting if I want to.

Trust me on this. The middle is timing only. Take the switch all the way off and it is timing only.

Put it on a dyno, if I am wrong, I will pay for the dyno time.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
Well, I put the HRVP tune and it still surges a little below 1800rpms even with the cruise on. I can live with it but will try all the new tunes coming out until I find just the right one.
Send me your email and I will send you some reduced timing files to see if that helps?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 AM

In software I can make the switch being ZERO volts the high setting if I want to.

Trust me on this. The middle is timing only. Take the switch all the way off and it is timing only.

Put it on a dyno, if I am wrong, I will pay for the dyno time.
No, no, I'll take you word for it. I was just basing my opinion on my above results. Besides, I know which position the performance level is on and that's where it's at 100% of the time.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Send me your email and I will send you some reduced timing files to see if that helps?
I'd like to try them too. I didn't bother with the HRVP file because Bama said it didn't help him and you were going to send us the reduced timing files.

Squrl366@msn.com
Old 10-03-2007, 12:41 PM
GFB

me three

adam.barten@gmail.com
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Quad I love your products and run your 120hp standard box and cant wait for the race box. But I am getting some surge with cruise control and a little when just driving w/o cruise. It doesn't matter with cruise on whether the box is on or not it does it either way. Dont know what to do. Do I just need to buy the XZT or wait for the race box?

Quick Reply: XZT+ Web Updates Page is Live