Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

XZT+ Surging

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one noticed the only trucks that have the surge are the 01s on this tread. Mine is pre rear disc how about the rest of you?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 AM

Quad or anyone else.

Does anyone have a copy of the LARGE InJ tune they can post..the one from 10/01..this one worked best for me..the new tunes surge all the time..especially with the cruise on..please post the old one if you can or email it..thanks.
I have the tune. I sent you a PM
Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 PM

ya i kinda notice the surging the more i drive down the highway, around 1400-1600 rpm dont notice in town cause i am always geting in it alittle more lol , and it is only on the high power seting
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Update: I have not had the time to perform the APPS adjust / reset (too many honey-doos), but I had an issue the other day with my VP44. The truck bucked and died. Only code I have is p1691 which is fuel injection pump controller calibration failure. After sitting for a minute, it fired back up and ran fine. This pump only has 14K miles on it. I called MWFI and told my story. They are sending me a new pump under warranty. Joy, joy, I get to spend another afternoon swapping pumps. Anyway, could this be the reason for my XZT+ surging? When I swap the pump, I'll perform an APPS adjust / reset and then report back.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ldornak
Update: I have not had the time to perform the APPS adjust / reset (too many honey-doos), but I had an issue the other day with my VP44. The truck bucked and died. Only code I have is p1691 which is fuel injection pump controller calibration failure. After sitting for a minute, it fired back up and ran fine. This pump only has 14K miles on it. I called MWFI and told my story. They are sending me a new pump under warranty. Joy, joy, I get to spend another afternoon swapping pumps. Anyway, could this be the reason for my XZT+ surging? When I swap the pump, I'll perform an APPS adjust / reset and then report back.
Was wondering if the VP replacement took care of your surging problem. I have had the same problem with mine. I currently have the Beta tune loaded now and whenever I put the peddle clear to the floor from a dead stop the engine dies just before the or right after the boost builds. The truck always restarts after the key is turned off once. I also had the same 1691 code along with 0500 0177 and 1693.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM

The VP was not the problem even though the codes pointed to it. I was really ticked after installing the 2nd VP only to have the issue happen again. It was the xzt box. I sent the box back to quad and they sent me a new one. It's been a year and a half on the new xzt and I have not had the issue return.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ldornak
The VP was not the problem even though the codes pointed to it. I was really ticked after installing the 2nd VP only to have the issue happen again. It was the xzt box. I sent the box back to quad and they sent me a new one. It's been a year and a half on the new xzt and I have not had the issue return.
I'll have to talk to quad about it. I'm hopeing its not the VP.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
mine is doing the same thing and has been for quite some time. should get off my lazy butt and send it back.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 PM

I have the 3000 beta tune... loaded it probably 9-12 months ago and it reduced to almost nothing the surging I had on the 2004 (if I remember) tune I had previously.

So I'm just sticking with it.

I have an 01 as well.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 AM

Progrower, keep in mind that your symptoms are a little different than mine when I had an issue. At random times, my truck would (for no reason) rev up and die. Once cruising down the highway at 65. Once stopped at a stop light. And, once at around 15 MPH. My issue had nothing to do with boost. After my episodes, I always got the 1691 code.

As far as the surging, the new box continued to surge no matter which tune I used. Some tunes where better than others. Bigger injectors (rv275's) eliminated my surging or at least made it unnoticeable.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM

ldornak, just to be clear, are you saying the xzt+ box was causing your 1691?

You just described my problem to a T. Driving down he road, after pulling hard, slowed down, engine revved up and died, cycled key and restarted, threw a 1691.

That would be way better than a new IP!
Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM

That's correct. I have not had the issue since quad replaced my xzt+. Hopefully, yours is still under warranty.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks, I'll call on Monday.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM

ldornak,
Thanks for the help. While they dont appear to want to acknowldge this is a known issue they have agreed to test the box so its on its way back. Do you remember any specifics which may help me to "joggle" their memory? Fingers crossed......
Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM

They never acknowledged it was a problem with me either. All I know is after replacing the xzt+, I never had another issue. You can have them reference my last name in their records "Dornak". That is, if they keep case records:-)

Quick Reply: XZT+ Surging