Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.
View Poll Results: Which would you get?
X- Monitor
24.07%
Standard Gauges
75.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

X-Monitor or Standard

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question X-Monitor or Standard

I am finally going to get a set of gauges but I'm not sure witch to get. I like the look of the Xmonitor but are the other gauges better? I just want to keep a eye on my Pyro, Trans, and Fuel.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just my opinion, but i like the gauges separate from the ecm. real gauges give you real numbers, not analog voltages converted to digital signals in the computer. plus i think gauges are easier to read at a glance, you get used to the needle position versus having to 'look' at an LCD display.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:43 PM

I don't think an x-monitor has anything to do with an ecm
Old 04-11-2005, 09:58 PM

I run a x-monitor and the only thing that is different from a analog gauage to electric gauge is , boost pressure is measured by a small box that transfer pressure to voltage, pyro is pyro and fuel pressure is measured by a sending unit the same as everyone except the fellas that feel the need to bring fuel in the cab I wasn't huge on that idea. Analog gauges don't warn you and they don't store hjigh and low values which are very helpful as I am sure you don't drive around at WOT looking at guages.

J
Old 04-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

X monitor is cool I run both the x and analog guages in my truck I do prefer analog over digital but it is more personal preference. My fuel pressure guage has a isolator no fuel running into my cab.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:07 AM

I have an X-monitor, mainly to keep the A-pillar clear, just going to mount a single gauge up there, the FP, Also the X-monitor is a little more stealthy.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't like the delay between readings from the X monitor.....I much prefer the true real time reading of a good old gauge with a needle.....I guess it is all what you get used to....I have been using Autometer Sport Comps for so long on various vehicles over the years that looking at anything else almost feels "unnatural"......
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 AM

Either way you go, you will be very happy. If visibility around the pillar is already poor for you, then you might like to go with the X-monitor. Also, the X-monitor is much easier to install the gauge portion. It uses a module under the dash that everything plugs into, then there is just one data cable to route up to the monitor (looks like a flat phone cable). The X-monitor has a nice balance of update rate without looking twitchy, reacts plenty fast enough. Bottom line - look at samples of each in someones truck if you can, and then put in what YOU like!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:52 AM

You may want to look at SPA gauges, digatal dual read out in one 2+ dia gauge split top and bottom. Been thinking about replaceing my Isspro.
Clark
Old 04-12-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Many people prefer an analog gauge with a needle, no need to read numbers, just look at the needle position.
You may be one of them.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:29 PM

I have the X-Monitor. made a custom mounting device for it. Looks great.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:53 PM

I have found several sites that sell the other gauges but can't seem to find one that has the X-Monitor. Can yall please tell me where I can find one? I would like to read more on them and get a better idea of the price.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:13 PM

i thought the x-monitor was taking its readings from the factory sensors and pulling them from the ecm. is that another digital readout unit? if it uses separate thermocouple, boost fitting, fuel pressure sender then it's better, but I still prefer to see my gauges by the needle position at a glance as opposed to having to focus on numerals on a display. ever see a race car where all of the gauges are ****-eyed? so if the gauge is in its normal operating range the needle is straight up. you don't have to look, if it's out of whack it is OBVIOUS at a glance or out of the corner of your vision. i guess that's why we all have opinions, huh?
Old 04-12-2005, 06:14 PM

www.bd-power.com

With the x-monitor you don;t have to watch the display it will do the work for you sounding a alarm if you go above or below the specified inputs the base X-monitor simply flashes and tells you what is to high or low, i hate have to look at gauges all day that is why I went that route, the other option is you can incorperate a cool down timer for alot less than other products I have seen.

jason
Old 04-12-2005, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trans temp on the "X" uses the same input as the JTEC on mine. I know that it reads really close to what the DRB reads.

Quick Reply: X-Monitor or Standard