Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Winter fronts - template

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation seen it happen

Originally posted by P.O.R.
how about a piece of card board in front of radiator.a little crude but cheep
Be careful with cardboard. Unless you cover 100% of the air flow or have a hole exactly in the middle of the fan the uneven air flow will bend the fan blades back and forth until one finally breaks off. This isn't a problem unless the cardboard is right up against the radiator, if the blockage is nearer the grill the airflow will equalize. You can get away with uneven airflow with plastic fans but not with the steel ones on a CTD.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For years I have hinted that I need something a little more classy, but the CEO ignores me. So, still using the feed sack and zip ties. Works pretty good. Don't need a hole, but it stops just enough air to make a difference. -6f this morning and was nice and toasty on the way to work. High idle stick adjusted with the power seat really helps too.

Ed
Old 01-31-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I should have stated that I was looking for something that was virutally "invisible" or at least looks like it belongs there. El cheapo is not the main concern here....
Old 01-31-2004, 05:06 PM

Well, I went to the hardware store this morning to pick up some stainless steel hardware to mount the winter fronts and wouldn't you know it.... Murphy strikes!! I took a 70 mph direct hit to the grille from a piece of road debris kicked up my another vehicle. Scracthed the snot out of two of the cross bars on the grille frame. Also, the honeycomb inserts are held in with a sort of plastic rivet. There are tabs sticking out of the grille frame that pass through the honeycomb insert and are then melted and mushroomed out to hold the insert in place. The debris strike broke all the tabs along one side and all the way across the top of the upper left opening. I'm afraid if I mount the winter front to it, the extra drag will cause way too much deflection and further damage the grille. So for now, I will have to settle for just covering the two lower openings. The way the grille is made, I don't see any good way to fix this other than replace the whole stinking grille.

Anybody know how much an '01 Sport grille costs????
Old 01-31-2004, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Unfortunately you have one of the most expensive grilles to replace.

From the dealer and 01 Sport Grille will set you back close to $400. Aftermarket they are $150 + Shipping + the cost to paint it the correct color.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:13 PM

Thanks Rhino.... I think I figured out a way to fix it, but that will have to wait till it gets a little warmer. Either that, or I'll have to take the grille off and bring it into the warmth of the house to work on it. I believe I can make up some new mounting points by building up some fiberglass mat and either epoxy or poly ester resin. It won't exactly be pretty, but who cares? no one will see it anyway. I haven't really looked at how the grille attaches to the hood, are they pretty easy to take off? I'd go look, but I have about 1/2" of ice/sleet all over the truck right now from last night and don't feel much like messing with it.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:41 PM

The grille comes off pretty easy. I would leave it attached to the grill bracket and take it off as one unit. There are some bolts that go through the lip of the hood and a couple that mount the bracket. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to remove it.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:13 PM

Here's a somewhat crappy pic of the winter front grille inserts I made. I'll try to get a pic of the lower two installed on the truck in the next couple of days, but the weather is taking a dump on us and I'm not making any promises.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:43 PM

What I did was trace some out...just like the above pic. I cut them out of black pvc plastic. To fasten them I took 2 black stainless steel roofing screws for each insert, drilled through the inserts so they lined up with a honeycomb grill hole. Then made some small square pieces of pvc and drilled a starter hole in them, then screwed the small pieces to the backside of the grill. With the inserts on the front. Easy to take on and off.
Clearasmud?
Basically use a small piece of pvc as a 'nut' for the screw
Don
Old 02-01-2004, 10:53 PM

i made a winter front out of plastic, i think it is abs plastic,bought it at a stock car racing supply shop in my area,comes in different colors,i used black,it comes 2 feet wide and you buy it by the foot.2 dollars a foot is what i paid.very tough stuff yet very flexable.i cut a piece to fit behind grill,one big piece that covers the entire back side, then drilled holes in it to fasten it to frame work that supports grill,used cable ty's or zip ty's about every 6-8 inches.also cut two pieces to fit holes in bumper,made them a littte over size so they kind of snapp in, friction fit.the pieces in the bumper made a big difference in keeping things warm,these are the ones i remove first to control heat. hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Farmer
What I did was trace some out...just like the above pic. I cut them out of black pvc plastic. To fasten them I took 2 black stainless steel roofing screws for each insert, drilled through the inserts so they lined up with a honeycomb grill hole. Then made some small square pieces of pvc and drilled a starter hole in them, then screwed the small pieces to the backside of the grill. With the inserts on the front. Easy to take on and off.
Clearasmud?
Basically use a small piece of pvc as a 'nut' for the screw
Don
I used two 5/16" button head stainless steel bolts per insert. I found some 3/4" OD, 5/16" ID rubber bushings at ACE that fit perfectly into the honeycomb holes in the grille. The inserts are cut about 1/16" smaller all the way around so they won't rub on the grille frame. I took some duct tape temporarily installed the inserts and then, from the back side, I picked a honeycomb "cell" I wanted the bolts to go through and sprayed some paint through the honeycomb and onto the back side of the insert. Pulled the inserts off, centered a 5/16" hole in the hexagon paint mark, installed the SS bolts, inserts, rubber bushings in the grille and used SS fender washers on the back side and SS ny-lock nuts. Very easy to install and remove and looks very clean installed.

I need to pull the grille off, bring it inside and fix that broken side and install the two top inserts. I'm leaving the bumper holes open for now since it just doesn't get THAT cold here...... yet.