Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Windshield gauge pod...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am VERY excited about using one of the overhead console/windshield gauge pod mounts when I start putting gauges in my truck sometime soon. I ulitmately want to wind up with as many gauges as possible (I just like bells and whistles), so I'll probably get the 4 gauge pod. But I also think I'd like to have some in the A pillar. So I'll probably get the three gauge A pillar mount and put my tweeter in one of the pods and then two gauges in the other two pods. See, I have an aftermarket Focal tweeter that is much bigger than the little bitty Dodge "tweeter", so I'll need that larger hole. Too bad nobody markets a 4 gauge pod A pillar mount. BigBlue custom made his by doing some fiberglass work, but I don't care to mess with that.

Scotty,

Is it possible to have four gauges in your dash pod, or do you have to have three and the switch? Just wondering. The switch is a little big for my tastes. Also, do you have any other pictures of it? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dash Pod comes with a template for 3 gauges and a switch...or 4 gauges.

I ended up selling mine cause I already had an A-Pillar and thought both would look cluttered...just personal opinion. I did a 3 gauge dash pod (on top) from Auto Meter. Love the look but it was a bear to wrestle with....Electric gauges were easy but the mechanical FP gauge was nasty to get right! (see gallery, if interested)

RJ
Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You can do any combination of gauges and switches that you prefer with the 2nd gen Dodge Pod.

I did away with the template simply because the end user will make it custom for their needs.

That switch was for my auxilary fuel tank pump...a reminder that it was on.

Here are a few more pictures...

http://www.scottyairsystems.com/Dodge%20Pod.htm

Scotty
Old 02-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scotty
I have some Dodge Pods in stock now.
Currently it is only available through Scotty Systems.

PM me if you are interested.

USDOT has some very specific regulations when it comes to altering what is deemed safety oriented items on a vehicle.
Two on the Ram that could be a problem are the windshield [safety glass and line of sight] as well as the A-pillar handle which is also a safety component.

I doubt DOT would do much about this until a lawyer decided to pursue it in a lawsuit from a collision. Even changing the location of the interior rearview mirror [if its a factory part] can be a problem.

Just a heads up.

Scotty
Line of sight should not be an issue with the gauges mounted above the rearview mirrior. As far as moving the rearview mirror down about an inch (or so I'm told), there is no law saying where on the windshield this mirror needs to be mounted, let alone if it's even required.
As long as there are 2 rearward facing mirrors, beit inside or outside, we are legal. Just look at all the cube vans/utility body vehicles with their back windows blocked (or nonexistent), they all have 2 outside mirrors.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NOSPIN4ME
[B]Line of sight should not be an issue with the gauges mounted above the rearview mirrior.
I agree. Shoot, I almost think that pillar gauges will get in the way enough to be about equally problematic as "above the rearview mirror" gauges. Also, I don't do racing (just fast driving) and look in my rearview mirror all the time anyway.

Originally posted by NOSPIN4ME
As far as moving the rearview mirror down about an inch (or so I'm told), there is no law saying where on the windshield this mirror needs to be mounted, let alone if it's even required.
Yeah, I'm excited about moving my rearview mirror down some. I like the feeling of equipment clutter in my truck.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:37 PM

I think it may be a little less convienent than an A-pillar but I think I'd still go for it just so it is inconspicious and different.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by STAT 007 Scotty,

Is it possible to have four gauges in your dash pod, or do you have to have three and the switch? Just wondering. The switch is a little big for my tastes. Also, do you have any other pictures of it? Thanks! [/B]
I have one in my gallery. You'll need to ignore the 150psi air compressor boost gauge -- I was waiting on the 100psi Isspro to arrive.

brandon.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 AM

I just ordered one of these babies for a friend. These things are great. The ONLY drawback is that you have to cut your dash bezel - not a big deal though.

Thanks Scotty...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by joefarmer
I have one in my gallery. You'll need to ignore the 150psi air compressor boost gauge -- I was waiting on the 100psi Isspro to arrive.

brandon.
OK, thanks. That pretty much seals the deal for me. I'll be going with the pillar gauges and overhead console gauges.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by joefarmer
after Wildcat closed.
Wildcat went out of business???? That's news to me. What happened there? That's too bad, Rod is a decent fellow.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by DaNuGuy
Wildcat went out of business???? That's news to me. What happened there? That's too bad, Rod is a decent fellow.
This aint new:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=60091
Old 02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Den

Thought you guys might be interested in seeing the custom pod I just made for my 1st gen.

First post is the rough design..down farther is the pod complete, but not installed yet.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=60589

Den
Old 02-08-2005, 07:59 PM

Absolutely awesome Den - VERY nice work.