Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will this twin turbo set up work well

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Will this twin turbo set up work well

It was making more than 400 by a long shot but not the 600+ we had seen earlier in the year.
<br><br>Mark,<br><br>You made 404 HP at May Madness...... The dyno does NOT lie. Boost is not indicative of HP and the only true way to see how much HP one makes is on a dyno, spinning tires in the parking lot doesn't prove anything. I love how guys get on the dyno swearing to make xyz for HP and then when the # is low there is always excuses. <br><br>In fact I just got home from the dyno and didn't make what I had hoped for...... Not that it was the dyno's fault, and the problem has been diagonsed and is being fixed (although I did manage 700 HP with boost #'s not much different than yours at MM). <br><br>Doug
Old 07-10-2003, 07:19 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Doug is stepping it up some. 700HP? On diesel?<br><br>Way to go Man.<br><br>Don~<br>
Old 07-10-2003, 07:22 PM

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=75#158584 date=1057882178]<br>You made 404 HP at May Madness...... The dyno does NOT lie. Boost is not indicative of HP and the only true way to see how much HP one makes is on a dyno, spinning tires in the parking lot doesn't prove anything. I love how guys get on the dyno swearing to make xyz for HP and then when the # is low there is always excuses. <br><br>In fact I just got home from the dyno and didn't make what I had hoped for...... Not that it was the dyno's fault, and the problem has been diagonsed and is being fixed (although I did manage 700 HP with boost #'s not much different than yours at MM). <br><br>Doug<br>[/quote]<br><br>Just curious if they don't lie.......then explain my lower HP dyno numbers but yet had faster E/T's and MPH ??? <br><br>05/07/03 (MM02) I showed 512hp ......... one of the dyno meets Mark attended I showed 44x hp (09/03/03).........but yet the truck ran faster at the track then it ever had. <br><br>I'm not defending Mark's truck, just curious about your statement in general.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:29 PM

Don,<br><br>The 700 was with a small shot of N20.... On #2 I was just over 600. I have a problem that needs attention and then I should be able to play with they wastgates and N20 and see how it will react. I was happy with the 700 as I was only using about 20% of the amount of N20 as I was running last year plus having the other issue to deal with. I have the boost restricted to a very low amount until I get the N20 tuned (looking for longevity) :.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:52 PM

Kat,<br><br>When racing there are countless variables...... Traction, the track itself (ie slope), atmospheric conditions, driver, fuel, just to name a few. On a dyno most of these variables are taken out of the equation (as long as they are the some brand and model dyno). On a dynojet the operator really can't affect the #'s. Yes atmospheric condtions and fuel can cause variables but normally they are slight, not 200 HP as is being talked about here.<br><br>Doug
Old 07-10-2003, 08:09 PM

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=75#158610 date=1057884748]
Kat,

When racing there are countless variables...... Traction, the track itself (ie slope), atmospheric conditions, driver, fuel, just to name a few. On a dyno most of these variables are taken out of the equation (as long as they are the some brand and model dyno). On a dynojet the operator really can't affect the #'s. Yes atmospheric condtions and fuel can cause variables but normally they are slight, not 200 HP as is being talked about here.

Doug
[/quote]

So basically your saying I have 450hp ????? I dynoed that much with merely DDIII's + COMP and a PDR HX35 (several times)..................long before bigger injectors(BDIV's &amp; Don M EDM's), long before the DD camshaft, long before the B1 turbo........ all that work and I still only have 450hp....... The funny thing is I never get my peak power before I run out of RPMs ...........whoops.

Was just an observation on my part.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:29 PM

I can tell you this. at a given efficiency it takes a fixed amount of fuel to make a certain hp number. how is it possible to burn that amount of fuel without air to match it???<br><br>the output of the motor is directly proportionate to the amout of fuel and air put in. No matter how much fuel you add, if there's not enough air to burn it all you can't make it into power. it leaves as soot instead. So, saying that boost pressure is not indicative of power is outrageous and flat wrong!!!!!!<br><br><br>otherwise the a truck making 20psi of boost could make 450hp. We all know that to be impossible with an ISB. I can tell you from how the truck ran on the dyno that it was not loaded in a way that the turbos spooled well enough to make the power the truck is capable of.<br><br>In a way you are right. the truck only made 404 on the dyno. BUT it will make a LOT more than that anywhere but on the dyno. PHysics doesn't lie, instruments do.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:33 PM

[quote author=Mark_Kendrick link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=75#158632 date=1057886952]<br>I can tell you from how the truck ran on the dyno that it was not loaded in a way that the turbos spooled well enough to make the power the truck is capable of.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>sounds like you need a different set of twins and piping
Old 07-10-2003, 09:56 PM

[quote author=Mark_Kendrick link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=75#158632 date=1057886952]

otherwise the a truck making 20psi of boost could make 450hp. We all know that to be impossible with an ISB. I can tell you from how the truck ran on the dyno that it was not loaded in a way that the turbos spooled well enough to make the power the truck is capable of.

[/quote]

Mark,

I think it can be done providing the turbo flows near 1500cfm and the intake has had some work done on it. Look at the trucks running a HX40 at 35-38psi and dynoing over 450hp. Say a 40 flows 700-750cfm why cant a turbo with twice the flow run at half the pressure (provided the head is ported to allow that kind of flow)? Granted all this is theorized but to say it is impossible without trying is pushing it.

Nathan
Old 07-10-2003, 10:22 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what Mr Deeds said!! ;D<br><br>Don~
Old 07-10-2003, 10:56 PM

Wouldn't the inter-cooler be the restriction?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:11 PM

the last 450hp truck I saw w/a 40 made about 42-45psi. the flow rate of the turbo is not what determines the amount of power it the temperature of the outlet temp at a given pressure. a 40 makes more power than a 35 due to a reduced temperature not due to more flow. they are both pressurizing the the same fixed volume so the only other variable is temperature. <br><br>A 35 at 45+ psi is making around 400hp, a 40 at 45 psi is probably making 440-460hp.(on identically equpped trucks) TAKE THE 40 OFF AND PUT ON A HY30/BHT3B TWIN SET AND MAKE 500HP WITH NO OTHER CHANGE!!!!!!!!<br>
Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 PM

twice the flow gets you nowhere unless the turbo is capable of twice the PR. it may flow twice as much at a low PR but at high PR the heat is going to effectively reduce the cacity of the turbo. the oxygen in the air charge will be less dense.<br>
Old 07-10-2003, 11:20 PM

Does a bigger turbo twin setup require bigger piping?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:22 PM

[quote author=StakeMan link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=75#158698 date=1057895808]<br>Wouldn't the inter-cooler be the restriction?<br>[/quote]<br><br>The CAC doen't care about pressure it cares about flow. our engines only need about 360cfm at 1 atmoshere. the CAC gets to be a limiting factor when the heat in the air is exeeding its ability to cool the intake charge. the flow isn't the problem. it lacks the surface area to shed the heat. the flow is there to see if the amount of air you need is there(390cfm) the CAC is rated in HP (the amount of heat it dissipates per unit time).<br><br>if you have a CAC rated at 700 CFM and 350hp then if you halve the flow you can almost double the heat dissipation (the air is in the CAC twice as long)

Quick Reply: Will this twin turbo set up work well