Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will this twin turbo set up work well

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Will this twin turbo set up work well

Doug,<br>it looks like that fella had the wrong people build the turbos and tune the truck.<br><br>I can make a 100 more hp than that with a hx or hy.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:19 PM

[quote author=JCL123 link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=30#156233 date=1057264521]
How do I avoid getting / purchasing the wrong setup?
[/quote]

Do what you are doing now, look at other people's setups, and talk to them about what works for them. Talk to knowledge people also. Ask questions, there is no such thing as a dumb question. R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H!!!

Doug has done the work, and is a leader in the horsepower game, and has lots of knowledge. Not saying Mark is wrong, Mark has done lots of research also.

Since you already have a HX40, why not incorporate that into your system? I knowof MANY good twin systems that use that as the smaller charger.

Andrew
Old 07-03-2003, 04:40 PM

[quote author=TxDieselKid link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=45#156253 date=1057267164]<br>[quote author=JCL123 link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=30#156233 date=1057264521]<br>How do I avoid getting / purchasing the wrong setup?<br>[/quote]<br><br><br><br>Since you already have a HX40, why not incorporate that into your system? I knowof MANY good twin systems that use that as the smaller charger. <br><br>Andrew<br>[/quote]<br>Thanks Andrew,<br>I am hot and heavy into the research and I truely appreciate the advice. <br>Doug's name pops up alot in the HP arena so I recognize him as a definate leader so I wouldn't discount his advice.<br>The Diesel Dynamics HX40 16 that I currently have is way to laggey for what I am running considering the Auto,89%TQ,3:54 gears and 36&quot; tires or I would probably not even blink twice about considering it for the top turbo. Now if I was running smaller tires or lower gears???? but I really like the tires and the gears. I just gotta control as much of the smoke and still want to give her as much fuel as I currently do and maybe more later.<br><br>James
Old 07-04-2003, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James,
I appreciate you saying that you are into research, individuals expect different performance out of their vehicles and there is rarely a generic fix. You should know exactly what you want and then find out how to get there or if it is even realistic to try to get there. Please consider the following as food for thought, I'm not asking anyone to take it as gospel.

There are no magic turbos, compound or single, they are simply air compressors that are turned by our engine/exhaust---another air compressor that uses expanding gases to turn the turbine wheel on the turbo (air compressor). The larger the volume (CID of engine), the higher the rpm, and to some extent the amount of fuel being burned (over fueled to a point) will create more force to spool the turbo. I mention this because in the case of an automatic transmission, low rpm torque converter combined with tall tires and tall gears...........the turbo (turbos) get robbed any volume of driving gases during normal stop and go driving. To see if any turbo or combination of compounds will reduce or eliminate lag and smoke you must monitor your rpms on light stall and take off. What is the stall speed and how many rpm does it take to make enough power for the equivalent of taking of in second or third gear in a manual transmission. I'm not suggesting that you change your setup but with 36&quot; tires, 3.54 gears and (I'm guessing) a low stall speed converter it will be a challenge to get any turbo spinning on an uphill start. If your truck was equipped with an Allison auto that had a super low first gear I would guess that your present turbo/setup would seem very peppy and the off boost smoke would disappear. Turbos with light wheels, small shafts, housings and good design do spool faster but my take is that most need ~1400 rpm to start building significant boost. Many of the high performance singles and twins that are lauded as fast.....are most impressive in the midrange 1700-2200 where the boost builds incredibly fast and puts a smile on our face. If a torque converter has a light load stall of 1200rpm, what is going to happen? Again just food for thought. If low smoke, quick spool and tall gears are your goal then a fast turbo with a small housing or small twin setup will be the best but you still have to get at least one turbo to spin up. Then trade off will be that drive pressures will be high in the upper rpm range and upper boost numbers. This will hurt horsepower and can shorten the life of the turbo and engine. Another trade off. Keep on learning and test driving trucks that are similar to yours. I wish you well and please let us know as you mod's progress. Larry

The only &quot;magic&quot; turbo that may exist is the variable vane turbo but I've not had the money to check them out. I would guess that they would excel the same way that propeller driven airplane does with a variable pitch prop compared to a fixed pitch propeller. How well I know the tradeoffs and trials of a fixed pitch prop when seeking high-performance......................
Old 07-04-2003, 04:36 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I do wonder a bit about the standard twin setups I see- In my neck of the woods we usually use a very small charger with an external wastegate as the low rpm turbo and a quite big charger as a high rpm turbo. We do not stage the compressor sides, we let the compressed air of both turbos go to a Y junction with a valve that inhibits backflow into the turbo that has the lower output pressure at the moment. The wastegate dividing the stream of exhaust to the small and large turbo is actuated by exhaust pressure. Due to this the small turbo spins down when the exhaust pressure is greater than the resistance of the diverter wastegate. The small turbo can not overspeed if the system is set up correctly. <br>These setups are made with the goal of good driveability and not maximum boost. Since both chargers are in their optimum area of the map most of the time the mass flow is good compared to back pressure. Though I never did a setup liker this to an ISB I think that this could prove worthwhile. Has anybody done this already ?<br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 07-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Banned

[quote author=Mark_Kendrick link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=45#156236 date=1057265288]<br>Doug,<br>it looks like that fella had the wrong people build the turbos and tune the truck.<br><br>I can make a 100 more hp than that with a hx or hy. <br>[/quote]<br>What did you &quot;tune&quot; your truck to at May Madness????
Old 07-04-2003, 12:52 PM

<br><br>The only &quot;magic&quot; turbo that may exist is the variable vane turbo but I've not had the money to check them out. I would guess that they would excel the same way that propellor driven airplane does with a varible pitch prop compared to a fixed pitch propellor. How well I know the tradeoffs and trials of a fixed pitch prop when seeking highperformance......................<br>
<br><br>AEROCHARGER® Series 66000 <br>• Medium to large displacement applications. <br>• Engine output range (for installations using a single Aerocharger): <br>Gasoline engines: 120 hp to 350 hp ( 88 kW to 257 k/W) <br>Diesel engines: 80 hp to 235 hp (59 kW to 173 kW) <br>• Three (3) turbine and four (4) compressor trims available. <br>• Air Flow capacity: 214 cfm to 540 cfm (365 m3/h to 918 m3/h) <br>• Charge Air Control: Diaphragm actuator, standard. <br>• Pressure ratio: 2.0, for continuous operation at maximum rated engine speed. <br> <br> <br>Other Users and Applications <br><br>I can only imagine what that puppy costs!!! Thats the biggest one they make... So I guess you have to twin it too! <br>
Old 07-04-2003, 01:07 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a personal friend of Corkys. I am familiar with this turbo as well. He feels the turbo is kinda small for our application. It is very cool in that you dont have to run oil lines to it. Its totally self contained. The bad part is the turbo is maxed and off the map at a pressure ratio of 2.0. Great for gas miatas and mustangs, but not turbo diesels. Man, your in Dallas....you should come see me, I will help you get that truck &quot;in the groove&quot;<br><br>Don~<br>
Old 07-04-2003, 01:08 PM

It all depends on what you want from your setup. A small twin setup for the street with an hy or hx 35 on top will spool quicker., But top end rwhp will suffer some. The spooling and drive pressures will differ depending on how big you want to go.<br>Bigger turbos, more lag, more top end rwhp. The holy grail of twins would be of course something that quick spools and doesn't choke the top end rwhp. <br>There is a Ford owner who has transplanted a 12V CTD into his truck, runs B1/B2 twins and has dynoed around 800rwhp on #2. I've only seen the post, not familiar with the B1's housings or how quickly it spools.<br>Choose the setup that's right for you and your application. Twins can be as different as singles depending on what you will use them for.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:15 PM

The holy grail of twins would be of course something that quick spools and doesn't choke the top end rwhp. <br>
<br><br>I want the HOLY GRAIL ;D ;D ;D ;D
Old 07-04-2003, 03:51 PM

Wouldn't the &quot;holly grail&quot; of turbo setups be a single turbo that spools like mad but flows the same CFM as a twin setup?
Old 07-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

what is going on [undecided]
Old 07-04-2003, 05:48 PM

[quote author=StakeMan link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=45#156595 date=1057351894]<br>Wouldn't the &quot;holly grail&quot; of turbo setups be a single turbo that spools like mad but flows the same CFM as a twin setup?<br>[/quote]<br><br> It would seem so... But wouldn't someone take that and put it in a twin?
Old 07-04-2003, 05:55 PM

[quote author=StakeMan link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=45#156595 date=1057351894]<br>Wouldn't the &quot;holly grail&quot; of turbo setups be a single turbo that spools like mad but flows the same CFM as a twin setup?<br>[/quote]<br>It would seem so Stakeman... If it spooled almost instantaneously, made great boost (65psi???), and made the same cfms. But this doesn't exist does it?
Old 07-04-2003, 06:00 PM

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=30#156213 date=1057260944]<br>I saw a B-1/B-2 twin setup at Muncie..... The HP output was a little shy of 700 HP. As I recall it was around 300 HP shy, the truck only made around 410 HP! The fellow running the setup was pretty disappointed in the #. Do some research there is a lot more to building a good set of twins then just bolting on a couple turbos.<br><br>Your correct but in all fairness did anyone even ask as to why that happened. No not one person. And I was not dissapointed I had a set of pulling injectors in that you could pee thru. The turbos never lit all smoke and then rpmed out. I immediately swapped out injectors to re-dyno but as we all know the dyno broke. Testing is being done and was all along concerning Drive pressures, intake charge temps, boost levels ect. and all the data so far is excellent. This is and will be a good set-up, as are yours, let us get things dialed in with some testing and tuning. Fred[/quote]

Quick Reply: Will this twin turbo set up work well