Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will this twin turbo set up work well

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this twin turbo set up work well

I have been looking for a twin turbo set up for my truck. It is a 2001 4X4 DDIII's, ez comp, air box, current HX40 16 (diesel dynamics), DTT Tranny with 89% TC, 5&quot; exhaust and to make matters worse lifted with 36&quot; tires. The &quot;enforcers&quot; arent to hip about all this smoke and my turbo is way laggey.<br><br>I have been doing some homework and I guess I am confused to say the least. This site is awesome though and I am glad I have found it.<br><br>Some say to run my HX40 16 with a HT3B, others are saying run the stock turbo with the HT3B. Money does matter so I doubt I can go the B1B Quick Spool and Ht3B combo.<br><br>What I am asking is this; Would it be a good combo to run the HX40 changed to a 14 housing with the HT3B? I already own it and the 14 housing wouldn't set me back too much more.<br><br>What would be the best set up?<br><br>I don't plan on stopping with the mods but have to take a break after this or its the couch for me. :'(<br><br>Help me out please...<br><br>I need to clear up some of this smoke, don't want to give up the rush, want more power, and eventually want to do more stuff.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:23 PM

Re:Will this twin turbo set up work well

When I say that &quot;I already own it&quot; I am referring to the HX40 not the complete set up.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:11 AM

I hear a cam and headwork reduces smoke maybe an alternative.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:22 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your elevation? Unacceptable Smoke with dd3's tells me you might be kinda high up.<br><br>Don~
Old 06-28-2003, 09:46 AM

Elevation is definately not the problem as I am in the Dallas, Texas area. <br><br>The truck runs great once you get boost but to control smoke at all I am having to run 3.1. Ewwww.<br><br>
Old 06-28-2003, 09:55 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope no altitude problems. I can speak from experience. Its the humidity that is helping it to smoke. Mine has really started to smoke too. In my experience the spool with twins is not any better than a single HX40 turbo. The twin systems that spool good ( using a HY or HX35 ), also can chop off HP on the top end power. 36&quot; tires are not helping much either.

There is not a 14cm2 housing for a HX40. Unless you go hybrid using a 35 housing machined out to work. I would not do this myself.

Don~
Old 06-28-2003, 12:50 PM

Thanks Don,<br> I was told there was a 14 for it and now you have helped me quit chasing my tail. I checked with Piers about doing the Quick spool on it (HX40) also so that may be an option.<br><br>

Trending Topics

Old 06-28-2003, 12:53 PM

[quote author=Jamie Attridge link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=0#154380 date=1056802262]<br>I hear a cam and headwork reduces smoke maybe an alternative.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks Jamie for that input but I really don't think I want to go into the motor yet.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

JCL123:<br><br>Call Mark Chapple @ &quot;TST Products&quot; in Colombus, Indiana.<br>I believe he can help you out with a 14cm housing for an<br>HX-40. As I recall, he has one on his 95' Dodge CTD.<br>His phone number is: (812) 342-6741.<br><br>Hope this has helped you some.<br><br>--------<br>John_P
Old 06-28-2003, 10:46 PM

Thanks John_P.<br><br>
Old 06-29-2003, 07:02 AM

I was told to use an HX35 with the HX40 compressor housing for the small turbo I have this turbo and it spooled real well at the low end. I would use a 12 or 14 housing for quick spooling. Then wastegate around it for the HT3B or an HX60.<br>Bruce
Old 06-29-2003, 11:59 AM

Read this. It might give you some insight on the subject
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=11097;start=0
and this
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=12832;start=0
Old 06-29-2003, 12:26 PM

I guess this is where ALOT of the confusion comes in...<br><br>I read all of that and it sounds good but I have been told by several so far that the stock turbo is going to choke me off on the high side. What I read there clearly says otherwise.<br><br>Do I really have to lose my passenger battery too?<br>Can I run a scotty II air box?<br><br>I am getting the part about a small turbo for quick spool up but wouldn't it be better to run one that is larger than the oem designed for quick spool.<br><br>Am I mis-informed about the oem turbo choking me down in the twin set up?<br><br>I was also told the B1B will spool as fast as the OEM Hy9 Is this true?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:41 PM

[quote author=1dslram link=board=7;threadid=16452;start=0#154609 date=1056888147]<br>I was told to use an HX35 with the HX40 compressor housing for the small turbo I have this turbo and it spooled real well at the low end. I would use a 12 or 14 housing for quick spooling. Then wastegate around it for the HT3B or an HX60.<br>Bruce<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks Bruce that is one of the things I am looking into...<br><br>
Old 06-29-2003, 01:46 PM

I read all of that and it sounds good but I have been told by several so far that the stock turbo is going to choke me off on the high side. What I read there clearly says otherwise.<br><br>Yes you can run a stock turbo on the top....I do, it's not modified and has 111K on it, are there down sides to it and are there limits.....you bet there is, and at the limit is my middle name. A modified turbo on top is a benefit no doubt but what people don't realize is the bottom one needs to be modified too, some people just don't get it, but when they go for a ride and see me go from 10-60 psi in a flash they start to wonder then. One other thing, as far as I know I'm the only person that has done both wastegate designs.....bypassed(to the down pipe) and divorced(to the big turbo) with the R&amp;D on both. Now, unless someone beats me to it I will go from a stock 35 with and 18.5 housing and an external wastegate to a PDR 40/16 on top with an internal wastegate to match the PDR HT3B that I already have and will get the before and after data from both setup's.....I have lots of data now, in both different temps/humidity outside and intake temps at the hat.<br><br>HP now is around 600, and with the water injection off I can make almost 1900 egt pre turbo.....you tell me if I need more turbo!<br><br>Jim

Quick Reply: Will this twin turbo set up work well