Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN

The more I recall the response of the catcher, the more I miss it.

I'm probably the only guy in history to test a Catcher and not buy one right away.

They're playing the odds that no human could resist it TWICE

Watch soon for a post from me on how I survived the wifely wrath for buying a Catcher with money I didn't have

X2, but I'm going to wait until spring to buy one.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Ben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must of lucked out. I have no "linear" response issues. Never did. My next door neighbor that's been driving my truck on/off for the last 2 mos never has either.

NOW. The guy that test drove my truck for a front end vibration issue DID. He couldn't stop bucking getting it going. I just laughed. Obviously a power deliverly he wasn't used to.

I was leary at first about the "responsiveness" of the Catcher from what I had been reading. I just kind of laughed when I first drove it. It was GREAT. I couldn't figure out what people were complaining about. Driving styles I guess.

My towing update after my boost leaks were fixed came from my neighbor, he was the one filling me in. This weekend I towed with it. Nite and day difference from before. Both smoke,egt, and power wise. I was ALL grins.

For towing with a stick this thing rocks. Around here the only road 65mph is a major east west road, everything else is 55 or 60mph. Can't tow in 6th that slow, just not enough r's to be effective. Most of it is in 5th.

The Catcher flat out shines there, head and shoulders above the EZ. The truck pulls HARD to 70mph in 5th gear. The EZ NEVER did that. It would peter out the higher you went in the rpm range. I can pass people now loaded down with NO issues.

Just my experiences.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:20 PM

I couldn't figure out what people were complaining about. Driving styles I guess.
Most likely it's a question of driving style. I agree.
Flooring the throttle & CaTCHER is a no no.

Gentleman,
I received the fuelling box today.
It's too soon to give you full details now I've not had enough time for some serious testing.Anyway, I've done a power brake/burnout in the highest setting ( 9 ). Smoke like I've never seen before but my lil spinny thing did light. No real problem other than way too much smoke.
I'm a little confused.

Marco
Old 10-31-2005, 09:24 PM

I was wondering, after reading all this and other CaTCHER threads, would it be worth my time to ditch my Comp and get the CaTCHER? I am aware of the SPECIAL CaTCHER. But would it be worth it to swap, and maybe run another box, something less aggressive to help compliment the CaTCHER?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the only problem i have with the catcher and the mach 1.6 is ,it makes my face hurt
Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 PM
Banned

Marco, you have me as one of your most satisfied customer. I have done lots of postings about the CATCHER, and how much I thoroughly enjoy driving it. As usual you only hear the bad things about it from a few people(definately not the majority).

Even with my somewhat medium power setup, I have a constant every time I drive it, and am still amazed at the extra responsiveness the CATCHER gives even towing. When into it hard it just keeps rapidly gaining speed, till you suddenly realize you're at 100mph bang like that.

On paper the CATCHER doesn't LOOK any different than EZ or VanAaken, but it sure is in everyday driving, which is the majority of time for most people. The CATCHERS biggest strong point is it's driveability. Yes it has a few minor learning curves to properly manage the power, but once you have(it doesn't take long) it's all smiles.

It may not be for everyone(haven't heard too many people saying they don't like it), but it will have it's supporters just like EZ, VanAaken, Comp etc.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Marco
Gentleman,
I received the fuelling box today.
It's too soon to give you full details now I've not had enough time for some serious testing.Anyway, I've done a power brake/burnout in the highest setting ( 9 ).
Marco
Such a tease Is this to work in conjunction with the ecm, to complement the ecm, or a ez/VA type of box? This is the first I've heard mention of it.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:21 AM

Is it my understanding that there is more than one version of the Catcher? Can someone explain the differences?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatboy
Such a tease Is this to work in conjunction with the ecm, to complement the ecm, or a ez/VA type of box? This is the first I've heard mention of it.
No it is the ECM reprogramed to make the truck run stronger on the bottom end

and there are two versions the standard and special(to use with fueling boxes)
Old 11-01-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by NOSPIN4ME
Is it my understanding that there is more than one version of the Catcher? Can someone explain the differences?
The standard is for trucks without any timing boxes added...it adds timing. The "Special" is for boxes with ez's, comps, etc...that already have timing added.

In addition there are several different programs to match Dodges software variations...HO's, SO's, Calif Trucks, etc. But they are just required variation to match your truck.....not options for you to consider when buying.

All are designed to end up at the same place....MAD ECM performance.

PHATBOY - Sounds to me like Marco is talking about trying to duplicate the over fueling scenario some of us expirienced with TST/EDGE boxes.
RJ
Old 11-01-2005, 08:20 AM

Sounds to me like Marco is talking about trying to duplicate the over fueling scenario some of us expirienced with TST/EDGE boxes.
Exactly what I want to do.

Today we got strong rain here, no testing, too dangerous.

Marco
Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 AM

Okay guys...my interest is peaked. Quick question though, the CaTCHER replaces the original ECM. What happens if you take you truck in to the dealer for whatever (warranty work, oil change, etc.) and the service tech decides that while it's in, he'll go ahead and reflash the ecm because of some version upgrade or what not. Anyone happen to know if it will overwrite the CaTCHER?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by bamalam
Okay guys...my interest is peaked. Quick question though, the CaTCHER replaces the original ECM. What happens if you take you truck in to the dealer for whatever (warranty work, oil change, etc.) and the service tech decides that while it's in, he'll go ahead and reflash the ecm because of some version upgrade or what not. Anyone happen to know if it will overwrite the CaTCHER?
When they put the DRB tool on, it will show the ECM has all the currant updates.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:13 AM

The dealer cannot reflash the Catcher to a stock program. Marco made sure of that.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
He also made sure that someone can't COPY the flash in one ECM to another.

Can you imagine the piracy nightmare? Sheesh!

Marco-- care to comment more on your Mach 6 testing?? hehe.

Quick Reply: Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?