Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Do it. There is no comparison between an ECM and an EZ. The difference between the ECM and the EZ is larger than that between the EZ and bone stock.

Lag? What's that?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gang,
Quote:
The only reason I don't have one yet is the issues I've heard with bigger injectors.
I'd really like to know who came up with that statement! Issues with bigger injectors... who the CaTCHER??? Wassup?

My truck WAS : Injectors similar to a F1 stage 4, BHAF, HX-40 with blocked WG, 4" exhaust, FASS and of course the CaTCHER ( regular ). Top boost 39 Psi and max EGT's 1250°F. Smoke control, NO PROBLEM. Driveability, in my mind perfect.

OK,OK, Hohn sez the throttle is not linear enough, who cares!
BTW, Hohn I have that magic software ready for you. The throttle is way too linear for my taste. Oh well, we'll see how you like it.

Then someone came up with the story that the CaTCHER has problems with them bigger injectors. That one I had to find out about! After all It could be!
I never went taller with the injectors because I wanted to stay as close as possible to the "average" truck ( Is there such a thing? ).

So I went and got myself Don's stage six injectors. More testing went on.

So today with them sixers sticking in my trucks head...
Keep in mind NO other changes have been made except the injectors!

Max boost 45 Psi. Max EGT 1350°Fi. Smoke control is a LITTLE harder than it was before but is still very manageable. Performance has gone up quiet a bit.
I've beaten the hell outta my poor ol' truck. No problem at all.
All in all GREAT sticks! Very good performance, very little smoke, no MPG gain but no loss either. Two thumbs up to Don!

Now please would someone enlighten me about the issues the CaTCHER has with tall sticks?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Marco
Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 AM

Finally got to tow with the Catcher. It will put out quite a bit of smoke with a 8K trailer hooked to it unless I get on it real lightly till boost comes up a bit. Also able to put out quite a bit of smoke with no trailer. On my previous post I mentioned very little smoke but following my truck with the wife driving I can see the exhaust much better. Hope to put in the 1.6 injectors tomorrow. Anxious to see how it does with it.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marco, The big injector conflict is a bit misleading. I think most are repeating what one person's experience was when trying to use a Catcher when drag racing using big injectors. I have small 275's (for now) and if I floor it off the line the truck will respond slower than if I roll into the pedal. Having said that, I knew from the get go the Catcher responds differently to pedal apply than the stock ECM. I think most including myself had a hard time trying to reframe from the floor it reaction when coming off the line.

Which brings us to Hohn's statment the Catcher having a less linear pedal. If I hold the pedal to the floor on the highway then back out of it, I can feel the responce come back. Make sence?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Marco
Now please would someone enlighten me about the issues the CaTCHER has with tall sticks?
Thanks for letting me ramble.
Marco
Marco,
I am one of those that had trouble. It was not with "big sticks"...it was with big sticks AND a big box, turned all the way up!

With Mach 4's, Regular MAD ECM, TST PM3 on #9...I expirienced a flooding type reaction ONLY when drag racing. I have tried to be VERY CLEAR about that - it happened only when drag racing..trying to build boost before releasing the brake! Appeared to be quenching the flame? Ran rough for a while and would not build more than 15 psi boost for about 60 sec.

I have stated that I miss the MAD ECM for daily driving and think it is the ultimate upgrade for almost all applications!

I know of two others that had similar problems...only during drag racing type starts. One or both of the others had Edge Comps. I'll let them chime in, if interested...but Bob Wagner is aware of all of us.

I have heard from one other with more fuel than I have...but with twin turbos...that has NO problem at all, when drag racing with the MAD ECM....assume it's the twins that solve the over fueling problem I had?

RJ
Old 10-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Chapter President

RJ, People have selective memories, kind of like dogs. You can scold your dog in the morning, but when you come how from work all is forgotten and you're still a rock star.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by Koa Man
Finally got to tow with the Catcher. It will put out quite a bit of smoke with a 8K trailer hooked to it unless I get on it real lightly till boost comes up a bit. Also able to put out quite a bit of smoke with no trailer. On my previous post I mentioned very little smoke but following my truck with the wife driving I can see the exhaust much better. Hope to put in the 1.6 injectors tomorrow. Anxious to see how it does with it.
Koa Man,

I "had" the exact same problem pulling 14k pounds with the Catcher. My truck billowed strait black smoke when I would get on it.

Come to find out I had a "few" boost leaks.

Now, it smokes no where near as bad. Just a healthy huff during the shifts then clears up. And that's seriously giving her the goods with a load on.

Unloaded I have to try to make it smoke. Those boost leaks just wreaked havoc and it really makes me wonder how long I had them.....

Those 1.6's should be real sweet.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Now we're getting to something!

First of all, I'm not blaming anybody for anything he might have said. What I find amazing is the fact that a few words are taken out of the contest and then used to point out a problem that in reality doesn't exist. Which in turn made me order new sticks ( a lot of $$$$ ) and waste a lot of time in R&D for a problem that does not exist.

Let's see the no boost build up during a launch first. That's just what I was testing yesterday night! I'm talking about the CaTCHER ALONE.

My truck will build 41 Psi just sitting there with the tires spinning. Gentle with the Go peddle! Let her spool up to 2 Psi then get into it slowly... By 5 Psi the rear tires brake loose the brakes can't hold the power. Increasing the throttle further up to over 40 we go. Takes me maybe 10 seconds from idle to full power. Probably less.

Now if we add a wire tap fuelling box into the above scenario then without doubt you get way too much fuel! To make things even worse, the box is turned up to it's highest level! Is it so hard to understand that too much fuel is just that, too much? All you obtain is a good smoke show but NO power.

So now what do we blame? The CaTCHER? The fuelling box? The injectors?
The drivers heavy right foot? ( ! ) WHO is responsible for the fuel in excess that the engine can't burn??? The CaTCHER??? I would dare to say: NOT!

See, there's a little more to build POWER than simply sticking parts onto the engine and call it a day. TUNING, that's what's needed then!

Gentleman, I've provided you with the ability to fuel MORE with the ECM alone than anything else, ever before without tapping the pump wire( ECM!). Now it's too much fuel?
I don't think so.

I see two possible ways for your problem. Turn the fuelling box down till the performance is OK, wich in turn will help to keep the EGT's in check. OR find a way for the engine to BURN the fuel you want it to ingest.

Make yourself confortable in my shoes for a few thought's. I have to deliver a product that has to work for Mr. Joe Average. That's 90% of our customers.
Then there is another 10% of customers how want to use the CaTCHER (also)for drag racing, sled pulling, whatever. ( I've declared multiple times that the CaTCHER was NOT developed for drag racing.)

Unfortunatly, those 10% are the ones who lead the pack. Whatever they say, becomes truth for ( almost ) every Mr. Joe Average. Please be patient with me, I have to tell Mr.Joe how things are in reality.

Thanks for your time.

Marco
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Chapter President

R&D sounds like the best part of your job!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Boost leak.

Please be patient with me, I have to tell you another story.

I receive my new stage six stix from Don.
Installed them, take the truck for a test ride. ***!?!
Smoke and lot's of it, poor spool up, only a couple PSI max boost more than my previous stix.

Don musta be crazy if he wants me too keep sucha pigs! That was the first thought that came to my mind!

A short story even shorter. I had five different boost leaks!

Them suckers are subtle! They start slowly and one get's used to them.
Tightened all my clamps, replaced a grid heather gasket... ( was blown through, wouldn't have believed it's possible! )

The off boost smoke was cut down by 80%, off idle acceleration became much snappier, max boost raised by 4 Psi, EGT's went down 150°F.

'Nough said!

Marco
Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 PM

From what I've heard Marco the CaTCHER is a excelent product. I think it's good that you frequent these boards to point out things like this once in a while or as we all know rumors will run rampid.

I'm stashing money for my CaTCHER right now.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:26 PM

rumors will run rampid
About the CaTCHER for sure. Much less for other products who have their own share of problems and relaibility trouble.... Strong lobbie behind them?
Dunno.
You know I'm the new boy on the block. Who in adition does weird stuff that a lot of other guys said it can't be done....

Just to be clear. Let me say it one more time. My two previous MSG's are not directed against anyone in first person. I only want to put things into the correct perspective. If someone feels like I've stepped onto his toes, sorry didn't meant to!

Oh, yeah, I have also another fuelling box coming over. More testing is in progress. I have to understand finally what's going on.

OK Ok, I promise, I quit it now!

Marco
Old 10-28-2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Marco,
I am one of those that had trouble. It was not with "big sticks"...it was with big sticks AND a big box, turned all the way up!
SAme exact problem here but all the emails you and Bob you never responded to stated what the issue was, big sticks and a heavy fuel box

I don't remember ever blaming the ecm only the combination

edit: and if it wasn't a good product I wouldn't still run it,99% of my driving it is fine just the fueled up lauches require a slipping clutch to eliminate stall, once she lights hold on

And I also believe way to many arm chair mechanics frequent this site
Old 10-28-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marco
Hi gang,
Quote:

OK,OK, Hohn sez the throttle is not linear enough, who cares!
BTW, Hohn I have that magic software ready for you. The throttle is way too linear for my taste. Oh well, we'll see how you like it.

Marco

I'm willing to admit that my problems may have been operator error

The more I recall the response of the catcher, the more I miss it. Linearity schmearity. I want my response back!

Bob and Marco are out to get me. I'm probably the only guy in history to test a Catcher and not buy one right away.

They're playing the odds that no human could resist it TWICE

Watch soon for a post from me on how I survived the wifely wrath for buying a Catcher with money I didn't have
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 PM

I had an edge comp on my truck with twins and TST PM# Comp. the Edge was only used in EZ mode for timing and I ran Mad ECM on another truck,so I decided to try it with Mach 5s TST PM3 Comp. and twins, and this ECM makes the twins and TST come on VERY hard , the catcher with Mach 5s and TST Comp. fuels extremly aggresively, I never been so happy from driving my truck, till the Catcher

Quick Reply: Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?