Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

2001CTD I will include an extra ecm in the next shipment for you to try out.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dodgediesel4x4
Hey Roland, what ever happened to your Mad? Not that I'd be interested in taking it off your hands...
Sorry 'H'...Sold it! Would not work on an HO anyway.

RJ
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
2001CTD I will include an extra ecm in the next shipment for you to try out.
I kinda figured Bob would chime in with something like that...I would at least take him up on his offer to try it!!

Chris
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 PM

I have been looking into one of these also. I'm concerned about having too much smoke when I go to Mach-4's. Is there any way I could test a MadEcm before dropping the cash and finding out I can't run it? Any vendors that would like to lend one for a few weeks?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ratsun
HOHN
I thought you were having a issue with the Mad ECM and the Mach 4s as far as too agressive fueling down low? CTD2500 lists large sticks in his sig also, so.... From reading the posts I thought the Mad ECM was really ideal for trucks that were running stock or small sticks but with the larger ones it fueled hard enough to cool the flame? Did I missunderstand?
I don't know if it was cooling the flame-- it mighta been. I'd just say that the pedal response isn't linear enough-- that's all I can describe it as.

This is related to injector size because large sticks serve as an amplifier to pedal sensitivity, which aggravates the lack of linearity.

I couldn't tell if the ECM was causing a "bog" from overfueling, or if it was just normal turbo lag. Judging by the quantity of smoke (and opacity), I'd say a bog was a definitely possibility.

This phenomenon is something you can totally drive around. But it is there, and it's a real quirk that can be annoying.

The catcher's response is unrivalled, but the smoothness penalty is there and it doesn't need to be. Then there are the other quirks.

Suffice it to say, I picked up a used VA in lieu of a Catcher. I saved over half the Catcher cost and got most of the benefit of the catcher. Not that a VA is a substitute for a catcher (they're different animals), but the VA is close enough for my purposes at the cost savings I saw.

Maybe a regular Catcher would behave differently than the "special" tester I had?

jh
Old 10-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTD2001
Thanks for sharing all of your experiences with it, i guess i am still on the fence about one, wish there was a way to "test drive" one to see if i would like it. What other type of mod should i do if i dont go with the MAD ECM? Thanks
I was able to "test drive" one. Well, borrow is more like it. I installed it in my truck on a Tuesday, drove it to the track on Wednesday and broke the output shaft on my tranny. (only part we did not replace when it was rebuilt)
Replaced the output shaft with a DTT billet piece on Thursday and went back to the track on Sunday. Where it laid down a 13.94@94mph. (stock injectors and stock turbo)

Before the MAD ECM it ran 14.2@93mph.

Around town, and even on the highway, throttle response was unreal...my wife drove the truck home from Mass Diesel after the output shaft was replaced and said all this truck wants to do is GO!!
And yes, much more smoke too.
Well needless to say I did not want to give it back. The only reason I don't have one yet is the issues I've heard with bigger injectors. Next year we'll make the step up and include a bigger turbo also.

I emailed Bob Wagner with a bunch of questions but haven't heard back yet.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:02 PM

Doug, I sent you a PM. I don't think that I have an email from you. Thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
will it work for towing? how much is it? where can i get one?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:27 PM

the catcher works perfect for towing, I am up in Auburn, WA

shoot me an email for more information

someone around here had this custom made

Old 10-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear
I could be wrong but i heard it does about the same thing an Edge EZ does
OK, well having now driven my truck with an EZ, a Catcher, and now a Van aaken, I can tell you that the Catcher is in a class by itself.

It works similarly to the other boxes on paper-- in the real world, the distance between the Catcher and plug in boxes is miles apart.

jmo
Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 PM

http://www.wagnerandassociates.biz/

call Bob wagner VERY good to deal with and stands behind what he sells!

"catchers are free but you have to buy his $800 M&Ms"
Old 10-15-2005, 10:58 PM

well to day i installed the Mach 1.6s and this truck rips.I had a set of blue prints sitting in the dash and in 3rd gear i can make them land in the back seat every time boost is up to 35 psi and the pyro jumps to 1200 but by that time im doing 90 something so i got to slow down. as far as smoke that seems to be about the same as the stock sticks.one nice thing ...I got to sack my neighbor........NO, not her, the dude in the ford PS. was a good feeling
Old 10-16-2005, 01:38 AM

After installing the Catcher in my truck, it would throw out a real good smoke cloud if I didn't slowly roll on the throttle. I installed my PDR HX40 and 4 inch exhaust today and took it out for a test drive. No matter what I did, I could not get a big smoke cloud like before. It will only put out a real small dark gray cloud and then all clear. With the stock turbo it was thick black smoke if I got on it hard at low rpms. That was the only thing I did not like about the Catcher, but that problem is gone now. I hope it will not come back when I install the 1.6s I have sitting on the shelf.

I also want to say that it was easy to drive the Catcher w/o smoke....you just have to slowly roll on the throttle. The difference in daily drivability with the Catcher is unbelievable. I don't care about 1/4 mi. times or high dyno hp. I want a truck the will tow real good and have good throttle response. The Catcher does that. The low end on my 24V is as good as my 12V with the addition of the Catcher. I highly recommend it.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

I do lots of towing with it and love it. Just did posting under MAD ECM, check out my previous posts to see how much I ENJOY IT.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:03 AM

Can anyone compare/contrast a Mad ECM to Edge EZ?

I currently have the Edge EZ / 275's / intake / Exhaust.

I am in the North East with a 2WD truck and plan on doing a lot of towing throughout the winter. I am actually contemplating taking out the EZ because I'm not sure I need the power. I will however be towing HEAVY... so maybe the power will be needed...

From what I hear the Catcher has tons more response than an Edge...

Thing is, my ECM is fubar'd, I need a new one anyway, so I am thinking ditch the Edge and get the Mad ECM while I am getting a new ECM anyway.

Quick Reply: Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?