Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?

I have been thinking hard about what i want to do next to my rig, i hear alot of talk about the MAD ECM, Would this be a good upgrade or should i look into something else? If so, what would be next, i am hoping to have twins by next summer, but only if $$$$$$$ allows, Thanks for the help
Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 PM

I could be wrong but i heard it does about the same thing an Edge EZ does
Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned

It adds about the same power an EZ does, but it does more than that. It takes away all of the defueling in the stock computer. No defueling between shifts, no high rpm defueling (pretty sure on that one), no off the line defueling. Not to mention the instantaneous throttle response you get with one. If I knew my tranny would handle it, I'd get one.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Close, BB. It can't get rid of the high rpm defuel-- only the Blue Chip Redline box does.

It does get rid of all the stock ECM's torque limiting features, so the engine gets a HUGE dose of bottom end and response.

My only objection to the ECM is that is compresses your pedal travel-- There's no difference between 60% pedal and 100% pedal (FOTFB)-- this makes it harder to modulate and is the only objection I have to an otherwise great mod.

jh
Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 PM

I think BB means no 2700 RPM de-fuel, not that it raises the Rev limiter! Which, IIRC, the CaTCHER doesn't defuel @ 2700 RPM like the stocker!

12v Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
how is the mad for towing?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOHN
I thought you were having a issue with the Mad ECM and the Mach 4s as far as too agressive fueling down low? CTD2500 lists large sticks in his sig also, so.... From reading the posts I thought the Mad ECM was really ideal for trucks that were running stock or small sticks but with the larger ones it fueled hard enough to cool the flame? Did I missunderstand?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:32 PM

I can nearly stall my rig in second from a start but I have learned to drive it differently with the comp on kill and big sticks (read building boost with a clutch threads), as far as towing I saw a reduced egt due to less lugging and quicker spooling. I don't know if I would buy another one But I do know that I would miss the one I have in a lot of instances especially just day to day driving, if your going to run the drag strip with big sticks and a box it may give you issues, as i think rjohnson can attest being he removed his. Bottom line for me is ther benfits outweight the disadvantages at the end of the day. I see fueling to around 3000 rpm.My truck as a daily driver and tow rig with the comp on 2x2 is a great setup with 20ish mpg.

J
Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed a mad ecm that had a glitch in it ...no oil pressure gauge so Bob wagner (super person to deal with) sent me a new one. while i was waiting for it i re installed the stocker then the new mad as soon as it came. the stock ECM makes the 24v a pig to drive .after having the mad i wouldnt want to drive my truck with out it. i can pull out and pass just as fast as my 90 bombed 12v now i am waiting for my mach 1.6s. this truck is used mostly for towing .

the only neg. thing with the MAD ECM is the smoke. if you dont learn to roll softly in to the fuel pedal . but sometimes I like smoke
Old 10-12-2005, 05:10 AM

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences with it, i guess i am still on the fence about one, wish there was a way to "test drive" one to see if i would like it. What other type of mod should i do if i dont go with the MAD ECM? Thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by yfz450guy
how is the mad for towing?
It SHINES for towing. You will love it.
If you ever had or drove a 12 valve motor towing, this is the best way to decribe the feel with a Catcher. Great low end /off idle torque.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by j-fox
It SHINES for towing. You will love it.
I can see where this would be true...with stock or smallish injectors.

With my Mach 4's I found the Mad ECM had too much smoke down low, even just hauling heavy (9000 lbs).....even with my box turned off.

CTD2001 - It's more responsive than any other mod out there and fun to drive. With your Bully Dog 5's and a comp box, on an automatic, I think you will have serious smoke issues. If those don't bother you...do it.

I loved my MAD ECM, but ended up daily driving with my box on "0"....and had some over fueling issues off the line, when drag racing. I do miss it for daily driving!

RJ
Old 10-12-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I loved my MAD ECM, but ended up daily driving with my box on "0"....and had some over fueling issues off the line, when drag racing. I do miss it for daily driving!

RJ
Hey Roland, what ever happened to your Mad? Not that I'd be interested in taking it off your hands...
Old 10-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Chapter President

Bob Wagner seems to have no complaints driving his rig with Mach 4s and the Mad ECM, none that I've heard about anyway.

I don't know if I could give up my MAD at this point. I love it, but I have a stock TC and small injectors at this point. Things may change when more BOMBs come into the picture.

I read and like HOHN's idea a while back about having a custom box program to come in with full fueling at say 25 psi of boost. Of course the ideal boost number would depend on which turbo we are talking about. I think a TST box would be best as it seems to have the most adjustability for fine tuning. Maybe, even take a page from the Duramax guys and add a shot of nitrous.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
where would a guy get a mad ecm?

Quick Reply: Will MAD ECM Do much for Me?