Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will it live? (Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will it live? (Transmission)

Here's what I've got...

1999 Dodge 2500 4x4 Club cab sport. BHAF, Quad XZT+ (3000 tune), fuel/boost/egt gauges, fuel pressure idiot light, Holley Blue pump w/relay, 3" glasspack exhaust, TC lockup switch. More to come...

I'm going to get a DTT VB soon. I'm looking at a converter, I know I need to do it. But can I live without one for a while? My truck only has 20K miles (non-bomb'ed) on the transmission now.

I'm thinking about installing something along the lines of RV275's or Jammer stage 2's or possibly 3's (If that doesn't get too hot) And if I can find an xilzarator I'll add one of those on too for fueling. (XZT+ does timing) I know the truck is rated at 215hp stock. The exhaust, intake and XZT+ might be getting me close to 300hp I hope. I'd like to get to 350-400hp.

I've had the truck for about half a year. I've only put 4K miles on it since then. (Rarely drive it) I don't plan on romping on it all the time, or tracking it or anything like that. But I want something I can back the mods down from the cab. Be able to tow a gooseneck every blue moon. And help improve mileage. I don't have to have the power. I drive around most of th time with the XZT off or on timing only.(30hp). I had a superchips (What a turd) and I don't feel comfortable programming this ECM again. Otherwise I'd swap the xzillarator for a smarty. But a programmer also puts a hamper on me hopping in and just driving it for what I want to do at a moments notice.

Anyhow, I wonder how the trans would like just the VB for now? It'll be some time before I can get the other mods as well. But I think the VB should help the gear searching the trans does from time to time. I don't think I'll be to the level where I need billet shafts or anything like that. I just want to have a little more power and not have to worry with the trans.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:02 PM

Oh and I'm thinking about building the poorman's pressureloc for the truck as well.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 PM

It should be fine for awhile...provided you treat it like its already broken. Drive lightly on it and it'll get you by til you have time to build the trans. Mine is in about the same power range and I have towed 17k twice, once up to the mountains. Anyway, be nice and it will be fine. Powerbrake it and do 20psi launches....and kaboom!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by JohnX
It should be fine for awhile...provided you treat it like its already broken. Drive lightly on it and it'll get you by til you have time to build the trans. Mine is in about the same power range and I have towed 17k twice, once up to the mountains. Anyway, be nice and it will be fine. Powerbrake it and do 20psi launches....and kaboom!
5-10 years ago, I couldn't have done that. But having a family and having to provide kinda wakes you up to the fact that "Hey those tires cost money" and "Romping on this thing all the time sucks the fuel down".

I had a duramax before with a juice with attitude. I like having the power there when I want it. But I ride around in the lowest settings 98% of the time.

I'm going to speak to a local trans shop. (Friend) I'll see what he might think/have.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Chapter President

If you are easy on it a VB and a convertor will take some good power with a healthy transmission to start with.