Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

which will be faster?? 02 H.O. with 3 mods VS. 03 stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:which will be faster?? 02 H.O. with 3 mods VS. 03 stock

Doug, I've got the stock HY35 with the 9cm wastegate and even with the comp on 3x3 and running from a dead stop up to 80 mph, I can't get the gauge past 700 (post). Now, I don't know what my egt's were with stock exhaust. But even with the stock air box, the highest I've hit is 710/ You add about 300* in there and that comes to roughly 1000 pre (give or take). I know that post is less accurate and all but this is just a general posting about egt's. I push 35 psi out of mine and have been for some time and there is not a single problem with it. Give the little HY some credit.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:38 AM

ok, will do (give the HY some credit)! It is certainly better than the stock HX for off-the-line acceleration at HP levels under 300. no question that this is why you have good kill rates. For even better kill rates though, (you gotta settle that Ford score), put in a Piers hybrid HX35. Then you can use comp level 5/5 and have lots of smiles and lots more kills . <br><br>getting back to the HY thing -- a couple of points to keep in mind. First, you've got exhaust, which will help about 100 degrees or so. You've also got a BHAF, which probably gives you another 50 or more degrees (?). So that certainly improves ETGs as well as HY spoolup. <br><br>My concern is that you're measureing post, and because you're running more than 28 lbs of boost, the 300 degree rule of thumb goes out the window -- actual exhaust temps will climb much higher than the post-turbo measurement indicates. you may be as high as 500 degrees difference between pre and post. Interestingly enough, your situation is one most suitable to a pre-turbo measurement, simply because you're pushing the HY to its limits.<br><br>I didn't mean to suggest that the HY isn't capable, just that it has its limits regarding usable HP and a lower choke point than the HX. I'd be interested to see what you dyno at, so all this theorectical discussion can be put to the test -- but I'd be suspicious that 35 lbs is past the choke point (efficiency band) of the HY and that you're well below 300 HP. level 3 is about 275 RWHP, according to the Edge site, and and not sure that this should require 35 lbs of boost to achieve.<br><br>Also, the real test of the HY limitation is on a sustained hard pull. for street rodding, I'd expect the HY to be very nice, as your experience validates. So you're certainly maximizing the capability of the HY at level 3. Level 3 is probably the limit, though. Especially at 35 lbs of boost, I'd be worried about my real EGT. you should add a pre-turbo thermocouple and then tell us what your actual pre-post difference is at 35 lbs. that would be fascinating!
Old 12-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Banned

Doug, I'm saving for a pre turbo setup, just have to figure out how to wire it in with the Dakota Digital gauge since the existing thermocouple plugs in to the back of the gauge with a 8-plug connector. Don't ask me to explain.<br><br>I've done pretty well at settling that Ford thing. Look at my kills. ;D I've got the stock auto in my truck so I can't run 5x5 yet. I very rarely run 3x3 off the line for two reasons, stock auto, and after I use 3x3, my truck surges. Granted, I am well below 300rwhp, but I've been using the comp since the beginning of June or so and have been pushing it to 35psi without any trouble. I am going to experiment with it and lower the boost just enough to where there is the slightest hint of a haze at WOT. I know 35psi is the limit on this thing. It is great around town and will really tear it up.<br><br>By the time I get ready to run 5x5, I'll have the full ATS tranny so the HY will have to go. I'll probably just go ahead and run a Piers HX40 for a while till I save up the money for twins. I mainly do city driving so I will need a turbo setup that will spool kinda quick. I guess if the lag is to bad, a little nitrous shot in front of the inlet would cure it up . Maybe some propane farther down stream? ;D<br><br>Rest assured though, if I see that Ford guy again, I'm setting the thing on 4 (locked up of course) and I'm going all out. He was tough though. Shift kit, 2 wheel drive, 80hp chip. The score will get settled. Don't worry. Many others have gone down trying to beat up the Mighty Cummins. ;D
Old 12-04-2002, 09:24 AM

yea, I hear ya. not sure the HX40 will please you, however, with just the comp box. But yea if you are going for injectors and drugs, then you'll definately need it. consider, however, that if you're going for twins and you need a stepping stone, the PDR HX35 is like half the cost of the HX40 and will probably make you MUCH happier until you have the fueling to support the twins. seriously, you'll get more kills off the line with the HX35 than the HX40 unless you get more serious fueling in there. The PDR HX35 has an HX40 impeller on the compressor side and spools up very nicely, from what I've been told. with just a comp box, the HX40 will feel like a pig compared to what you have now.