Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

which will be faster?? 02 H.O. with 3 mods VS. 03 stock

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which will be faster?? 02 H.O. with 3 mods VS. 03 stock

my buddy just recieved his new 4x4 2003 H.O. 4 door single rear wheel dodge a few days ago, and the first words out of his mouth were <br> &quot;lets run em when i get 500 miles on it&quot; <br><br> <br><br> ive got a extended cab 02 H.O. 3500 with almost 10k on it now, the only things it has done is BHAF, superchips 65/185 D-BOX, and a 3&quot; dynomax straight thru muffler- which have dropped 1.5 seconds off my time at the track, and added 6 mph~<br><br> it should be a fairly close race dont you guys think??<br> or am i going to be adding injectors to up the power on my CTD??<br><br> <br>
Old 11-28-2002, 11:55 PM

Re:which will be faster?? 02 H.O. with 3 mods VS. 03 stock

My money's on you.<br><br>Later, Rob
Old 11-29-2002, 12:14 AM

The salesman that sold me my 02 showed up one day at my workplace driving my exact same truck only as an 03. He gave me the speech about &quot;you should have waited for one of these&quot;.<br>After the usual bantering back and forth, we went for a run. I thumped him! He was not thrilled, but was impressed with what a few mods to an 02 can do.<br>I like the 03's and with a few Bombing toys, they will motor!! But I'll keep my 02. ;D
Old 11-29-2002, 09:15 PM

;D ;D ;D<br><br> well, i was able to drive my buddies new 03 H.O. today. <br> man the rpms rap up quickly even with the 3:73 gears in it!! but it doesnt have enough power right now to beat me <br><br> we ran them 2 times, and i was astonished how bad i got him the first time i thought it would have been a even match, my truck with more weight, and close to the same power level.... but i guess his truck needs to get broken in more----<br><br> after hearing about these new 03's with the new engine, i was having horse power envy,.. but it looks like mine has more than i was expecting <br><br>i guess when he gets his power box, air filter, and missing muffler, i will be shopping for some injectors--<br><br> <br><br>
Old 11-30-2002, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in Sept. at Diesel Thunder in Spokane WA the local Dodge dealer supplied an '03 HO and we dyno'ed it. It dyno'ed 262hp at the rear wheels - thats a 12.7% power loss through the drive train. You should take quite easily.<br>Bob ;D
Old 12-02-2002, 12:44 PM

yea, you will be shopping for injectors when he puts a box on that 03!<br><br>Thats cool that your 02 with an Edge EZ (D-box) beat a stock 03. The EZ adds only about 50 HP at the flywheel on an HO, so you're running very near 300 HP (flywheel). But the HP curve of the EZ may be favorable to you, and even though the 03 may develop slightly higher peak HP, I bet your HP curve is much better on the low end between 1500 and 2000. My guess is that the stock 03 is still pretty constipated below 1800 (compared to your 02/EZ) in order to meet new emmisions goals. So (my guess is that) they won't fuel very good at the low end, and of course they put the little HY turbocharger on them to please the EPA. <br><br>The 02 HO is just a very nice platform for modification. They respond very nicely to injectors, and the HX turbo breathes much nicer than the HY. DD2's, a fueling box, and you're at 350 RWHP for about $1200 as long as your air supply can support it. 4&quot; exhaust and scotty air for another $750 and you're set for under 2 grand.<br><br>But watch out for those 03's. It remains to be seen how well the stock injectors do, but in my opinion odds are that an Edge box can fire those common rail injectors in ways that may be more effective than fueling boxes on the 02s. And I heard that they already come with 4&quot; exhaust. But, alas, even the HO comes with the little HY turbo, which means great spoolup but it will choke early. Also what we don't know about the 03s is whether or not DC cut any other corners in the drive train (like U joints). It may be just as strong as the 02s but I don't know. Biggest problem I see with the 03 HO is the little HY turbocharger which you'll have to dump in order to beat an 02 HO. <br><br>It won't be long before stage 2 injectors will be available for the 03's (DD already has stage 1's I think). That, and a fueling box and my guess is that the 03 (with a different turbo) will beat an 02. But I will suggest that, if I had an 03, I wouldn't be putting in injectors. first year common rail injectors? I'd be hugging my injector warranty to avoid the cost of $800 a piece if one failed. So I think you'll see more regular joes out there with EZ boxes an no injectors. <br><br>injectors + your D-box and you'll probably beat an 03 with just a box. just watch your air (EGTs). unless he replaces that HY, you should always have more usable (EGT controlled) HP. <br><br>
Old 12-02-2002, 01:02 PM

[quote author=Bob Beauchaine link=board=7;threadid=7668;start=0#73892 date=1038671201]<br>Back in Sept. at Diesel Thunder in Spokane WA the local Dodge dealer supplied an '03 HO and we dyno'ed it. It dyno'ed 262hp at the rear wheels - thats a 12.7% power loss through the drive train. You should take quite easily.<br>Bob ;D <br>[/quote]<br><br><br> THAT is the same HP we had 2- 2003 trucks dyno here just last month for the diesel dyno day-<br><br><br>
Old 12-02-2002, 01:22 PM

[quote author=Doug link=board=7;threadid=7668;start=0#74597 date=1038854684]<br>yea, you will be shopping for injectors when he puts a box on that 03!<br><br>Thats cool that your 02 with an Edge EZ (D-box) beat a stock 03. The EZ adds only about 50 HP at the flywheel on an HO, so you're running very near 300 HP (flywheel).<br><br>But, alas, even the HO comes with the little HY turbo, which means great spoolup but it will choke early. Also what we don't know about the 03s is whether or not DC cut any other corners in the drive train (like U joints). It may be just as strong as the 02s but I don't know. Biggest problem I see with the 03 HO is the little HY turbocharger which you'll have to dump in order to beat an 02 HO. <br>[/quote]<br><br> i was just as surprised as you that my truck was quicker than his- but already we have added a BHAF to the 03, and the muffler will be taken care of on tuesday <br><br> im pretty sure that all 02 a H.O. trucks come with the HX TURBO cause they have the rubber hose and not the metal line that all auto trucks have-<br> also, i checked the 2003 H.O. and it too has the rubber hose from the wastegate to the compressor housing, so i assume that it too has the HX TURBO ????<br><br> if and when he gets a box on his truck, we will line them up, and see how much of a difference it makes- im positive his will woop me really bad-<br><br> we were on the highway checking our rpm differences at 60 mph, i think his was about 300 or 400 more than mine- his has 3:73 gears and mine has 3:54 gears-<br> i gave him the nod to go ahead and gun it giving him the advantage - we were both in 6th gear, at 60, and i instantly got one truck length ;D and was pulling away at 80mph, but the traffic was getting close so i had to let out--<br><br> yes the 2003 has a great exhaust system, it has a 4 inch elbow coming out of the turbo!!! that right there has to keep the turbo cooler, and make more power!!!<br><br> i just might trade my truck in if this 2003 turns out to be a better/faster/cheaper to modify= more bang for the buck <br>
Old 12-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the opportunity [and still do] to be doing some comparisons of the 01' HO and the 03' HO. 03' stock to 01' stock...definately the 03' will beat an 01' 6 spd. I too am concerned with the new driveline. I like the 373 gears for 'off the line' but still prefer my 354's for highway cruising.<br><br>I like the sound of the 03' under load but miss the sound I am accustomed to with the diesel rattle in the 01'.<br><br>the layout of the 03' is nice in the cab.<br><br>We will be testing the air intake and power upgrades over the next few months. ;D<br><br>I do not like the HY-35 on the 03' HO...I think I might tear that thing out of there when Rod is not looking.<br><br> <br><br>Time to go test the 03' in a chaotic ice covered panic stop.<br>heheheh<br>
Old 12-02-2002, 01:48 PM

[quote author=Scotty link=board=7;threadid=7668;start=0#74617 date=1038857984]<br><br>I do not like the HY-35 on the 03' HO...I think I might tear that thing out of there when Rod is not looking.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br> Q??-<br> when i was tinkering on this 03 H.O. i put my hand down on the wastegate diaphragm and it has a rubber hose-<br> i assumed that it was a HX turbo???<br> am i wrong??
Old 12-02-2002, 02:26 PM

I was down at Diesel Dynamics in Ogden and saw one of their prototype trucks. The 03 HO 6-speed has an HY turbo. What matters is the letters stamped on the nameplate, not what the wastegate hose is made of ;D
Old 12-02-2002, 03:11 PM

[quote author=patriot pearl blue]<br>yes the 2003 has a great exhaust system, it has a 4 inch elbow coming out of the turbo!!! that right there has to keep the turbo cooler, and make more power!!!<br>
<br>it doesn't make more power. For the stock truck, EGTs are not a problem (so thats not why they did it). The real reason they did it was for emissions -- it helps that little bitty HY turbo spool up faster so that you get lower smoke and more kick in the pants at low rpms, while keeping the noise level down.<br>
<br> i just might trade my truck in if this 2003 turns out to be a better/faster/cheaper to modify= more bang for the buck <br>
<br>well, not so fast on the 03 being more bang for the buck. He's gotta loose that HY turbo before he can realize anything above about 300 RWHP or so and I would suspect that his EGTs are going to be an issue with even a fueling box, due to the smaller 9cm exhast housing on the turbo. I run my 02 ETH (empty) with EZ fueling and no pyrometer and THATs a risk even with the HX. I'm not sure I would do that with an HY. Note that the 12 cm housing on the HX has almost 80% more cross sectional area than the 9 cm housing on the HY. In other words, almost double in size. 4&quot; exhaust or not, thats a problem for sustained hard pulls at high HP levels. great for spoolup though. <br><br>They use 4&quot; exhaust and the HY on the 03's for a reason: it makes the EPA happier, and it gives improved kick in the pants accleration off the line. They didn't do it to make high HP mods less expensive or to support sustained high HP levels.<br><br>So don't jump to the conclusion that the 03 will be less expensive to upgrade. A fueling box may be the only thing they can tolerate without a turbo upgrade. You should be able to flirt with 350 RWHP with stock exhaust, stock turbo, and a scotty II intake, and you can do that by adding injectors. If you want to do sustained pulls, then you'll have to drop $500 on exhaust. Consider too that even though the stock 03 exhaust is 4&quot;, it still has a restrictive muffler, so as such is not as effective (in lowing EGTs) as an after market 4&quot; exhaust would be for the 02. So the 03 guys will have to straight pipe or get a flowmaster muffer or something.<br><br>This is largely conjecture, but consider what has to be done to the 03: fueling box ($600), turbo($700), muffler($200?), injectors ($800). total $2300<br><br>for the 02's you have a fueing box ($600), no turbo, exhaust ($500), and injectors ($500, depending on which ones). total $1500.<br><br>more bang for the buck? probably, for just a fueling box only. beyond that the 02s are still very capable, cost-effective platforms.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:21 PM

[quote author=Scotty link=board=7;threadid=7668;start=0#74617 date=1038857984]<br>I like the 373 gears for 'off the line' but still prefer my 354's for highway cruising.<br>[/quote]<br>second that, Scotty. that extra 5% translates to 2250 rpm instead of a bit over 2100 at 75 mph and stock 265/75 tires.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't the '03s running taller tires which compensates for the lower geared rear end?? <br><br>Another unknown is the '03 clutch. Add a box and injectors to the '02 and you're probably looking at a clutch upgrade. Maybe the '03 won't need that.

Quick Reply: which will be faster?? 02 H.O. with 3 mods VS. 03 stock