Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will FASS cure it all?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hohn,
I agree with your comments regarding the FASS' "heater" not functioning until the engine is up to temp. I've been looking for an external heater and pump combination unit which will allow me to create a "loop" where heated (antifreeze) fluid can be circulated through the pump without the engine running. I want to have an on/off switch inside the cab so I can heat the pump prior to starting the engine, and shut it off once the engine has warmed up.

If I can't find such a heater/pump unit, then the next best option is to wrap "heat tape" around the water separator and filter canisters, and run the cord up to the front so I can plug it in when I plug the engine heater in. I've heard many "old timers" have done this with their diesel tractors overnight to make sure they don't gell up. For those of you who have never lived in frigid climates, a "heat tape" is an electric heating element encased in a plastic tape-like sleeve that is normally wrapped around water pipes to keep them from freezing up.

Franklin
Old 10-01-2004, 01:10 AM

I've had my FASS system in -20°F windchill weather here in Ohio where the winds were ~10-15mph. (Just north of the original poster in Hilliard, OH.) The truck was parked in a lot outside for 36 hours where the warmest temp was -6. All without the block heater plugged in. It started and ran just fine on the winter mix from the Pilot truck stop on i70 & wilson rd. I trust the truck stops... they'd be paying a lot of tow bills if they screwed it up.

brandon.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:49 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well, I think that there's a misconception between gelling and cloud point- real gelling will make the fuel solid. The cloud point is when you start to see paraffine clouds in the fuel, these little paraffine particles are the buggers that clog the filter. So as long as there is either a little heat in hte filter to melt them or a surface big enough so the filter will still flow some fuel until the warmed up return fuel starts to play it's role you are fine.
With a gelled up system you'd have solids in the lines, the pumps etc- try to start an engine then and you are looking for lots of new parts.
The windchill factor doesn't play any role there- if the truck is parked for some time- the windchill simply determines how fast heat is being carried away from an object ad body temperature- like how cold will it feel to a human being. But if it's -6 outside and windy the fuel will go down to -6, not to -20 from the windchill.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 10-01-2004, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AlpineRam

Good Points! I mis-spoke above. The +18 degrees F. was cloud point not gelling temp. But reaching the cloud point can still prevent starting.
Also agree about wind chill being a non factor with regards to cloud points/gelling.
RJ
Old 10-01-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The heat tape is a good idea-- I've seen it done on tractors as well. ND gets plenty cold enough to test these things.

I don't see the need for all that extra complexity. Why not just run an additive with a gel point depressant?

IMHO, sticking with the stock filter with the built in ELECTRIC heater is the simplest route.

I am a big fan of the FASS and Preporator for what they are designed for. But my feelings on the heater arrangement dampen that enthusiasm.

Justin
Old 10-01-2004, 11:51 AM

OEM system has faults as well

How in the hell does anyone expect the OEM lift pump to get "cloudy" fuel to the heater in the first place. The only real "perfect" solution is a tank heater. The fact of the matter is most folks will never have trouble. A little winter additive when it gets real cold is a good idea, but I think this "debate" has little real world merit. I would like to hear from the good folks in Alaska. I suspect when it gets cold enough to cause serious fuel gelling problems anything other than a heater in the tank is useless. I do think the FASS heater will be useful for optimizing flow and filtering capabilities in cold weather. Should only take a few minutes before the coolant is warm enough to help out. If you plug in at night, then its a no brainer.
The fact of the matter is inline electric fuel heaters are cheap, if one feels it necessary to install one on the supply to the FASS. Back to OEM type setup real fast.
Sorry if I sounded harsh I did not mean to.
Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
To me, the "heater" function of the FASS is a joke. By the time it actually heats the fuel (read: engine's up to temp), the risk of gelling is over.

Gelling will happen with really cold fuel hits a filter. This means when you FIRST start the truck-- like the first 10 minutes. If it doesn't gel after 10 minutes or so, it won't gel at all.

So the FASS only heats fuel when you no longer need it. Honestly, I think this is a laughably stupid design. Why have it there at all?

Moreover, the stock filter/lp is up under the hood, protected from the outside and warmed by underhood heat.

All other aspects of the fass are impressive to me (except the price). Why they would take a great product and turn it into a laughing stock with a WATER-HEATED fuel heater is beyond me.

Keep in mind that the OEM filter is 10 micron. Running a 5 micron or 3 micron filter on the FASS make gelling even more likely.

Justin
There is an old saying, Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and prove it. You are terribly wrong on several points.

First the FASS and the Preporator were never designed for the Dodge Pickup truck nor are they designed for the Supermarket crowd. They were designed for the 18 wheelers, to solve problems that are inherent to the big trucks fuel systems.

Starting the truck is not the main problem with waxing of fuel on trucks. I spent a very cold night in Wisconsin at near zero temperatures because the fuel waxed and the truck died out in nowhere country. This is what the fuel heater in the FASS is designed to prevent.

The Dodge was designed for the supermarket crowd with many comprimises so that it operates like the family station wagon. For your information, if the fuel is waxed in the tank, it will never clear the filters in the tank.

The FASS with a very high return rate of the fuel directly to the tank is designed to keep the fuel tank warm enough to prevent waxing while driving down the road. Nothing foolish about it, a good system to do exactly that.

The FASS has found to be capable of supplying the necessary fuel to the Dodge to eliminate the lift pump problem. There are many in tank heater designs available commercially and other equipment available to work regularly in near zero and lower temperatures. Using a blend of fuel generally takes care of the problem. Big trucks have always operated in an enviroment where the truck is not shut off and never reaches freezing temperatures while on the road.

While you have made an honest mistake, you spouted lack of knowledge of the equipment to show this issue as a negative to the design of the product. The product is very well designed and does exactly what it was designed to do. If your need are for a different system, than that is what you should do, look for the equipment that would make you happy.

There is no equipment out there that does not need the care of an operator that knows what to do in temperatures below 0. If you run your truck in below 0 temperatures on #2 fuel and expect to start it with no problems, you are mistaken. That applies if the truck is stock or has the FASS on it.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
The stations up here automatically switch from summer to winter fuel - what temp is the winter fuel good to? I never had a single problem starting or running my 93 at 35 below and even colder- I am worried about my 98 though- it already doesn't seem to be as easy to start up, just at freezing temps - I am here in Anchorage Alaska- so this issue is very important to me! LOL
Old 10-06-2004, 06:28 PM

CruisingRam, get some Powerservice Arctic fuel additive and dump some in with each fill up.

Newbie question - Normally is it the weakening of the lift pump that causes the injection pump failure due to low fuel pressure? Does the FASS bypass the factory lift pump and go straight to the VP44 injection pump?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by njoverkill
CruisingRam, get some Powerservice Arctic fuel additive and dump some in with each fill up.

Newbie question - Normally is it the weakening of the lift pump that causes the injection pump failure due to low fuel pressure? Does the FASS bypass the factory lift pump and go straight to the VP44 injection pump?

Thanks.
The FASS should be hooked up where it pulls directly from the tank and delivers fuel directly to the VP44. The answer is yes. You do need to make consideration for a fuel pressure take off point. There is one on the FASS but that is a long run for the line and I like it better closer to the VP44. Mine uses a junction block with the necessary hose fittings about even with the cowl, down at the frame.