Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Wich Injector Is The Safest With Stock Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:12 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wich Injector Is The Safest With Stock Clutch?

So I have the Van Aaken V5 and been looking around at injectors because so many people say a injectors coupled with the va is a nice touch for towing. So my question is I have been loooking at the Stage 2 Jammer Injector or the Stage 3 Jammer Injector Nozzles and wondering if they would be a safe match to keep my stock clutch happy for a little while longer. Also I belive the Rv 275 hp Injectors are a little much for my needs as this is not goin to be a horse power junkie just need to further tie up loose ends on my quest to make a capable tow rig. I do plan on doing a clutch in the not so near future but just wondering how to make some good power for towing wile keeping the stock one happy for a wee bit ,Thanks in advanced
Old 11-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the rv 275's are just about 60 hp. If you put any upgrade injector in there your clutch won't like you. whos to say when it will go (or if). your best bet is if you can't put the clutch in now, don.t do the injectors, if you do you might have to take the box off till you can do the clutch. If you say I will just take it easy taking off, that don't work, where the clutch slips is in the higher gears when you build boost. I would wait till I could up grade the clutch then go big and then you will need more air. It's just one big marry-go-round and you can't get off
Old 11-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my case: I have run the 275's and the EZ and have no problems with my stock clutch. I'm running the Smarty on level 5 now and still have not slipped my stock, 190K mile clutch. Even on #7 it would break the tires loose and not slip the clutch.

Now, with that said, I very seldom pull as much weight as you do. When I do pull fairly heavy, I ease into the go pedal and try not to put too much strain on the clutch at one time. So far, so good, but I know a new clutch is in the not to distant future if I pull heavy.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 AM

LOL yeah right the more hp to a degree will make it easier to tow ofcourse you have to control egts. i tow everyday 6x10 enclosed trailer which with tools weighs in at about 2,500lbs on average. i run super mental injectors and i have a hy 35 small turbo and i can keep her well under control. its all in how you drive . my opinion is due the clutch first its more expensive but it will save you money in the long run. besides you will get an overall improvement because she will put more power to the ground !!

2 cents
Old 11-05-2006, 08:50 AM

Another factor is your gear ratio. I think you can get by with more power if you have a 4.10 ratio than 3.54. Also, I have heard people state that the clutch used on 2001.5 and 2002 trucks holds less torque that the smaller diameter clutch used with the 5 speed. Regardless, my stock clutch slipped in 6th gear with an EZ and 275 injectors when I weighed 20,000. I was as easy on my clutch as one could be. I always started in 1st gear at an idle.

Steve
Old 11-05-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quit mentally playing with yourself and order those injectors already!!

I know this isn't apples to apples, but my stock torque converter held the EZ just fine in lockup, it was the injectors that pushed it into shudder land.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by J BODY
.....it was the injectors that pushed it into shudder land.
"shutter land"...........another good one!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never slipped the stock clutch with the EZ, even towing a heavy 5th wheel. The same day the DD2 injectors went in, though, heavy clutch slip in 5th gear at 1800 RPM - running empty! Ordered my Con OFE the next day!

Rusty
Old 11-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Muted User

You will hear all different stories. Some guys will slip with 275's, some guys will slip bone stock, because the clutch is just plain shot to begin with. In my case, the clutch not only held RV275's and a TST, but it held BD XXX stage 4 injectors for almost 6 months. Hohn, a regular on here as well, also had a stock clutch hold up very well. Basically, just go big on the injectors, see what you got and go from there. You may get a good amount of time on your stock clutch. Just step up when it starts to slip, because once it starts to slip, its all over... things happen fast then.... And the gear ratio of your rear end doesnt matter. The rear end gears do not change how much torque is transmitted from the engine through the clutch.

Kp
Old 11-05-2006, 05:40 PM

the gears do however factor how much the truck is being shoved along at any given rpm, & it also makes the 3-4 & 4-5 or even 5-6 gear shifts easier on a clutch. just the bigger drop in rpm's when you shift gears on a 3:55 geared truck will make the clutch easier to slip, but like most have said, about all you can do is stick the injectors in & see what happens, the stocker on my 01' died shortly after adding RV injectors to the VA box, good luck either way, Dusty
Old 11-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
the gears do however factor how much the truck is being shoved along at any given rpm, & it also makes the 3-4 & 4-5 or even 5-6 gear shifts easier on a clutch. just the bigger drop in rpm's when you shift gears on a 3:55 geared truck will make the clutch easier to slip, but like most have said, about all you can do is stick the injectors in & see what happens, the stocker on my 01' died shortly after adding RV injectors to the VA box, good luck either way, Dusty
Drop in RPMs will be the same between gears with the same transmission, regardless of rear end ratios.

Although I had a 12" clutch in my truck, I'l throw my story out anyway. Had an Edge Drag comp, clutch didn't slip, but the VP died. Replace that with a HRVP and stage two jammers, clutch didn't slip. Put the comp on 1x1, and it caused the clutch to slip. Swapped Comp for a smarty, and it would slip at around 1700 rpm in 4th when pushing it most times. Some times, I could do a good run in 4th without it slipping, and another time, leisurely passing a car on the highway in 5th (around 13-14 psi of boost) and it would let go. I ran it for 8 months with it slipping. If I didn't run the smarty or comp, I could've gone a lot farther I'm sure. But, I also never tow anything either.

I'd say just buy the injectors. If it slips, pull the VA off until you get a clutch for it. It was easy to keep the clutch from slipping up until the end. Just need a softer foot.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 PM

I've got the same combo and my clutch is still holding (daily driven and sometimes pull 8500 lb trailer). Happy - I always heard (before I bought) that people trade up when they get the RV275s - and go to Mach 1.6s - I like my EGTs though (900-1000 towing) with this setup.

I do have a South Bend clutch sitting on the shelf waiting for when that day comes.....
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 PM

I have got the bosch 300 also like rv 275. and a edge chip, first dyno run with the truck I got 339 hp 750tq and the clutch sliped some thing nasty. only 1/4 of the way in to the throtle. just trying to help
Old 11-06-2006, 07:21 AM

With my Edge EZ the clutch didnt slip but as soon as i put the stage 5 jammers in the clutch started slipping the first time i put my foot down.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
So I have the Van Aaken V5 and been looking around at injectors because so many people say a injectors coupled with the va is a nice touch for towing. So my question is I have been loooking at the Stage 2 Jammer Injector or the Stage 3 Jammer Injector Nozzles and wondering if they would be a safe match to keep my stock clutch happy for a little while longer. Also I belive the Rv 275 hp Injectors are a little much for my needs as this is not goin to be a horse power junkie just need to further tie up loose ends on my quest to make a capable tow rig. I do plan on doing a clutch in the not so near future but just wondering how to make some good power for towing wile keeping the stock one happy for a wee bit ,Thanks in advanced
Id say that they all are

if u can control ur right foot, but anything that will make over 330 rwhp will demolish ur clutch.. ask me how i know...

I did run 370s and a 100 plate 380-400 rwhp on a stock clutch that was dying on me, it just didnt agree much when id romp on it or tow.. So u can use that as a guideline... since im a 24V clueless...

Rick

Quick Reply: Wich Injector Is The Safest With Stock Clutch?