Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why are people using boost elbows instead of manual boost controllers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you use a mini regulator for airtools and put it in the wastegate line, dial up what pressure you wanted , On second thought do they let all the air through up to what you dialed in or only let through the pressure you set it at.
I think i just confused myself, it is early in the morning cut me some slack.

Steve
Old 10-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Those mini "regulators" are just a needle valve. You can use them to reduce the pressure an air tool sees because they are a flow restriction. When there is no flow, the tool sees line pressure. As soon as you pull the trigger on the tool, pressure drops due to the "regulator" valve. On a wastegate actuator there is no flow to speak of, so this type of "regulator" will not work.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
You can get a MBC for $50. It's a ball-and-spring valve that will let you PRECISELY dial in the EXACT boost that your WG actuation will begin.
The more I think about it, the more a boost elbow seems like a pretty sorry band-aid..... Plus, an MBC won't leak boost.JH
Right on JH & wannadiesel....Manual Boost Controllers are very simple, easy to use and impressive.

I installed a JoeP MBC when I swapped my KSB-1 for a HX-55 from J.R. Paid $35.00 last winter. I bought it when I installed an external wastegate....at that time, did not realize that the MBC only increases boost - so could not use it. Like others have said...I did not really understand the MBC.

Played with it this past weekend....VERY precise and simple to use. Requires delicate adjustments but is possible to adjust in 1 psi increments (if interested??) and no surging/leakage. Will take me from 40 psi (wastegate setting) to 50 psi. I assume the 50 psi is equal to fully closed off...but have not tested it yet.

SO-so pics in gallery...see HX-55 on workbench. Will get a better pic.
RJ
Old 10-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

I used one of those mini regulators on my powerstroke for a boost fooler. I put it inline and set the psi to factory specs to confuse the computer so that my check engine light wouldn't keep coming on!!! It worked awesome, but as far as using them for a boost controller it wont work
Old 10-07-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostdCTD
Sounds like a lot better plan than just unplugging it, only thing I wonder is if the springs inside these are strong enough to withstand the pressure without just bottoming the springs out.
The MBCs at the site I posted will add up to 30psi to the WG setting.

SO, since your stock WG is set at ~21psi, you could keep the WG closed until you hit 51psi!

I think the spring is plenty stiff. All it has to do is ADD resistance to the existing WG actuator. So if you want your gate to pop at 35psi, your MBC only has to add 14psi of resistance.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
I think even if they werent strong enough, you could modify it by putting in a stiffer spring. Surley it would be better than a boost elbow. I saw one ebay auction i think where it was talking about mounting the boost controller in the cab so you could adjust it on the fly. I think that would be AWESOME! I wouldnt mind to tinker with that idea some if i got a boost controller, and was bored one day. Would be sweet to be able to adjust it from the cab. Just run the lines in the cab from the AFC, then to the wastegate. Just mount it wherever you want. Maybe under the dash, where only the **** to adjust it can be seen, and reached by just reaching down and turning it. I dont know. Just thinking out loud

Eric

OOOOOO!!!! Think how COOL this would be a a 12V! A variable valet switch!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:32 PM

A few clicks on my boost controller easily dials in max boost. I borrowed a buddies "drag" comp, I have the regular version, and it made approximately 5 more psi and still climbing before I let out of it. A few clicks on the boost controller brought boost back down to 40psi. There's a pic of the controller in my gallery.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J Double
"CLICKER"???? Wha Chew Meen...Clicker?? I ain't got no stinkin clicker!
Mines must be a Chebby....u musta got chew a Rolls Royce?

I suspect my $35.00 JoeP (now $40) is the cheapest one out there. Works great so far....... but this is the first week it's been used. I'll just have to wait & see how it holds up.

RJ
Old 10-07-2005, 04:51 PM

RJohnson, I have the same MBC. Were you able to use the supplied silicon hose to 'T' into your wastegate hose off the turbo? I need to install my MBC this weekend.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:57 PM

Yeap, it's a clicker alright. Turn the dial and click, click, click The difference between a Drag Comp and a regular Comp is six clicks of adjustment on the controller.

I picked mine up from a fellow TDR member but you can also find them here (third down from the top) for a descent price.

Link no longer any good....
Old 10-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have an adjustable boost elbow and for some reason I am not able to figure out why I can never get over 26 psi of boost even with the Ramifier and downloader stacked on max. so how come a needle valve won't work?

Don't mind me...its something I am just not grasping. LOL

Scotty
Old 10-07-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
OOOOOO!!!! Think how COOL this would be a a 12V! A variable valet switch!
Sounds cool, huh!!

But I think the AFC only goes so far as to limiting power. At a certain boost number, I'd say it wouldn't matter if it sees any more or not.

Now that I read that, it doesn't really make sense, but I know what I mean.

Chris
Old 10-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
I have an adjustable boost elbow and for some reason I am not able to figure out why I can never get over 26 psi of boost even with the Ramifier and downloader stacked on max. so how come a needle valve won't work?

Don't mind me...its something I am just not grasping. LOL

Scotty
With a needle valve, you have to have flow to vary the output pressure. The WG plumbing is pretty well sealed, so there is no flow to speak of.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:39 PM

HOHN,
I have to chuckle a little bit about your question...only because "we" find ourselves following, rather then leading. I will admit, I am still a little green when it comes to getting the most out of my 12V, but as an engineer...I find myself always thinking "outside of the box" when it comes to work and hobbies.

I am using a adjustable flow control valve from a hydraulics system, and used a couple compression fittings, piped a hi-pressure 1/4" silicone line into my cab, and the result...an adjustable wastegate. I have been running it completely closed...but have to be careful, as I have already hit 35+ psi with my stock injectors and stock turbo...so as soon as the 330's go in, and I grind my stock plate to 100...I will have to open the valve up some. But it is nice to know, I can just turn a ****, and crank up the boost.

Great thread...I think we should all work together and share our little tricks and secrets...specially with performance.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:19 PM

hey meester engineer, do you have any ideas on how to use that (or similar) set up to get the wastegate to open earlier? i've got some ideas i want to try out with the twins. thanks

dave

Quick Reply: Why are people using boost elbows instead of manual boost controllers??