Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why are people using boost elbows instead of manual boost controllers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why are people using boost elbows instead of manual boost controllers??

I've been looking at this more and more.

You can get a MBC for $50. It's a ball-and-spring valve that will let you PRECISELY dial in the EXACT boost that your WG actuation will begin.

A boost elbow seems quite primitive by comparison!

I bet you could even find a cheap ball-and-spring type setup in the McMaster Carr catalog for cheap. Any ideas?

The more I think about it, the more a boost elbow seems like a pretty sorry band-aid when they are so much better options available. Plus, an MBC won't leak boost.

JH
Old 10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Chapter President

I would tend to agree......the boost elbow is very primitive and hardly anymore effective than a blocked wastegate. Most people probably don't run the simple and inexpensive boost controllers because they don't know about them. When the boost elbow that is supplied with a Comp or EZ is used, it serves it's intended purpose of more or less making the wastegate inoperative.....The Comp only provides enough fueling over and above stock to take a HX35 to 35 psi or so - the max reasonable limit for that turbo - at this point, you really don't need a wastegate; there just isn't enough additional fueling to overspeed the turbo. But, as we have all seen many times here, when you add some bigger sticks to the EZ or Comp, the need for an operable wastegate is evident. The boost elbow will do nothing to help in this situation and, at that point, the adjustable boost controller for the actuator starts to look like a really good idea!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree too! I don't think most people even know about the manual boost controllers because frankly it's never really brought up on here. If I could run one on my auto I sure would, they are tons better for being able to fine tune your turbo to make it run at its best. The boost elbow and locking the wastegate closed is an easy way to get more boost, but doesn't give you much room for adjustment. Hopefully this thread will get some looks and get people thinking about MBC's!

Good idea HOHN!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

What I'm wondering is if you can drill, tap, and install a small bolt in the stock elbow if that'll do the same thing. For the hardlined guys like myself, you can take a stiff spring and attach one end to the waste gate arm, the other end to a turnbuckle, and the turnbuckle to the alternator bracket and voila. Home made adjustable boost controller.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One Word Turbo Master, OK, that was two, but they work great!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

Hey blue,

Look at my pic in my gallery, I did almost the exact process you just described. It worked ok, but it was truly amazing how strong that wastegate is!!! I had a heck of a time finding a spring that was strong enough!! It worked decent though

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 10-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

That looks like the spring I've got. I just need a longer turnbuckle than what I had. Even with two people pulling on it we could spread it maybe 1/2"-3/4". This sucker is stout.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned

That is what I ran into also, I cranked the crap out of that thing trying to get it tighter and I ran out of thread. I have mine completely locked shut right now, but when I get some free time I'm gonna go get a longer turnbuckle and try it again. I like the idea of adjustibility over being completely locked!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

and yeah, that spring that I have is one STRONG mother trucker!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned

Yeah. Mine's just to short. Even with the turnbuckle extended all the way and the spring stretched as far as I could possibly stretch it (almost hooked a come along to it ) I was still an inch to short.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that seems like a lot of monkeying around.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Yeah. Mine's just to short. Even with the turnbuckle extended all the way and the spring stretched as far as I could possibly stretch it (almost hooked a come along to it ) I was still an inch to short.

That would be freakin hilarious............."so what ya using for a boost controller?" I'm using a come along
Old 10-06-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
that seems like a lot of monkeying around.
Consider the source.....I think maybe there's a football involved?

Kind of a moot point for me.....no wastegate.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Banned

Hey. You do what ya gotta do with what ya got.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
One Word Turbo Master, OK, that was two, but they work great!!!

Well, that's why the MBC appealed to me so much. Compared to a turbomaster, it:
1) Costs less
2) is MUCH easier to install

I mean, a PREMIUM MBC is like $80. Turbomaster is what, $130?

For you hardlined, HY guys, why couldn't you just cut the hardline, and plumb in the MBC with the 4mm hose and hose clamps?

Quick Reply: Why are people using boost elbows instead of manual boost controllers??