Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why is everyone so hesitant to tap the pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is everyone so hesitant to tap the pump

I posted what turned out to be a very hot topic titled "DONT TAP THAT WIRE" or something along the line. I got some very good feedback, but I still see a major contrivercy over this subject. Some of the members swear by it, and some have bought the boxes capable of making that extra power and are not using it.
WHY?
If tapping the wire does not cause the injector pump to fail, then why isn't everyone tapped? If it does cause premature failure then everyone should know about it. I know speed costs, but the replacement of the injector pump is not cheap and it is not a performance enhancement. I would rather spend a grand on something like a turbo or injectors. Lets settle this once and for all so I can sleep at night. Everyone's input is needed. Please state the following in your reply: Type of box
Tapped or not
If not, why?
If so how long did the pump last
Old 02-26-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The answer boils down to one word- warranty
Old 02-26-2004, 06:52 AM

Cool

I tapped my pump wire back in '99, when I had something like 6,000 miles on my truck. First I ran a Blue Box, now I have a drag comp. I presently have about 78,000 miles on my truck with zero problems. In fact, the only problem I have had is an oil pressure sending unit went out, replaced under warrantee, and a few flat tires.

This is an interesting topic.

A few years ago, a local shop did a study on this. You may be able to write them and get the results, but it went something like this:
VP44s fail. The percentage of failures is actually slightly higher for a stock, untapped pump than it is for a pump that has been tapped for a box.

More info might be available here:
www.thepowershop.com

Also, from what I have read, the "most prone to failure" VP44s were the early ones, as in 98.5, and '99. My '99 is running just fine.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:53 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
UNtapped

Reasons:
'99 model year-know to be the weaker pumps
Stock Tranny-Need to save $$$ for replacement tranny (unless I get a free one in the mail)
Want to add larger injectors & Turbo (see above)
Old 02-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Edge Comp running on 5X5 w/ a stock trans. My wire is tapped. I've been running this way for a little over 10K. I don't tow. I have had zero problems. My trans is just a crisp as the day I bought the truck.

I think people often times read these boards and give the same weight to anecdoatal evidence as they would hard number driven data. i.e. my pump failed, I have a box, and that obviously caused it vs. my pump failed and upon taking it apart and sending it back it was reported that because the fuel box increased the duty cycle a component failed thereby causing the actual failure.

The result is guys write opinions about what they "think" caused the failure and the result is nothing more than conjecture with little basis in fact.

IOW until I see something from an engineering perspective about the actual cause of failures I'm not convinced that tapping the wire in and of itself is the sole cause of the demise of the VP44 on most trucks. Scott
Old 02-26-2004, 08:34 AM

I have been tapped for 30 000 km no problem with the vp. Had to replace the clutch though, she got a wee bit hot! Warranty is the biggest concern from the guys I have talked to.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:39 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
In the last 2.5 years, we've had exactly two VP44s die immediately from pinning the pump wire. That makes it 2 out of 400 and some odd Comps and PowerMaxes. We did send both those pumps away for analysis at a reputable rebuilder, and he verified that it was the "rough" rotor problem that caused the failure. They also said that while the box induced the failure, they also felt that the pump was probably going to fail early anyway as the fragment would likely have made its way into the system as the miles went by.

As for other failures, we've had a handful of customers (I don't have the exact numbers, but I think its 7 or 8) who have had VP44s go away. In every case but 1, we feel it was attributed to low fuel pressure (under 3 PSI at WOT).

So, is it possible that your VP44 will fail immediatelt? Yes. Is it likely? No. Will the performance enhancements kill your VP44? If you look after your fuel pressure, then also probably not. Will you experience reduced service life from the VP44 due to enhancements? We don't have any firm numbers on this, but the harder you run any piece of equipment, the less miles you will get from it. So if you're running 600 HP and your foot is into the throttle constantly, chances are you are taking miles off the VP44. If you only use the power once in awhile, I feel your VP44 will last many, many miles.

Rod
Old 02-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
IOW until I see something from an engineering perspective about the actual cause of failures I'm not convinced that tapping the wire in and of itself is the sole cause of the demise of the VP44 on most trucks. Scott
You mean like this?
http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/Bosch-VP44.htm
Old 02-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Banned

Very interesting discussion. How many people with 01's who have had their pump wire tapped have had them fail? I know my stock pump was putting out 0 psi at WOT. I just hope I caught it in time to save my VP pump. That was like 30K miles ago though.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:33 AM

My brother had an 01' that had a VP-44 failure right after we installed RV275's on his HO. The dodge dealership warrantied his truck no problem.

I think it is just luck of the draw on the pumps. I tapped mine back in October and have not had any issues thus far, @12k miles currently sitting at 57k+ miles.

-CM
Old 02-26-2004, 11:50 AM

I am a firm believer in lubrication and pressure...do what u can to keep the pressure high ( larger banjos, max-flow kit,pusher pumps, etc..) and monitor it (gauges are a must IMO when tapped). The other thing is extra lubricants for the VP, I use an additive in every tank that adds extra lubriaction for the injectors and the VP. I am a worry-wart so I take all the precautions i can .......i love my fueling box and the performance it delivers and i wouldn't trade it no matter what, i cant wait to add injectors and some other mod's when i can but I will not take my fueling box off when that time comes.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:46 PM

I have a new cluch being installed this week,(South Bend OFE) hope to pick up Friday or Saturday. After reading this I will definately hook up the wire, I have been "on the fence" about tapping, but now I am going for it.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:57 PM

I have had my wire tapped for more then 15,000 miles. I wish that i could say that those 15k miles were on a setting other then 5x5, or that i drove it nice.....but i cant. My truck has never hiccupped (knocks on wood). i am a beliver of "if its gonna die, its gonna die no matter what you do!"
Old 02-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kinda on topic.

I lost my VP44 at 4,000 miles.

No fueling box, no bad fuel, no dying lift pump, no codes thrown.
It just died.

I guess that woud make me another believer that if it's going to fail, it will regardless.

The only thing keeping me from piercing any wires is cash flow.

When I can afford the transmission and the box I'll go ahead and pierce away.

phox
Old 02-26-2004, 06:30 PM

My pump-wire is untouched, nor do I have any type of box, the reason?........warranty. I paid waaay to much for my truck to have to replace a vp44 outta pocket when I couldve had DC do it for free.

However.....if I had some more $$$ Id pierce it in a second

Just my .02
Jeff

Quick Reply: Why is everyone so hesitant to tap the pump