Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.
View Poll Results: Why Dont You Have Stacks?
Because I dont want them.
75.39%
Because I dont have the cash yet.
24.61%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Why Dont You Have Stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Just don't have the money yet!

No don't do this. My PO did this when he chopped out the muffler, and was too lazy to route it over the axle. My wheels/tire would be BLACK after a day, it was so annoying! Just go down to your local truck shop and get a few feet of "Slinky pipe", I don't know what it's called, and route it up over your axle, tie it up with baling wire, and put your turn-out back at the end of it.
Agreed here

i did it, and im gonna do away with the tip infront of right rear, cant keep my rims clean anymore..

As for stacks? on a one ton yes, on a 3/4 no, im not a stax guy..

Rick
Old 12-16-2006, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JD Dearden
For most people the negative sides of stacks greatly out weighs the positives, My stacks are very loud, hard to clean, throw blacks flakes everywhere that stain anything they touch.
Just think we breathe that crap in! Sorry, not trying to be a hippie... I convinced myself I wanted stacks after I bought a 5" straight pipe kit. But now I have to deal with the hassle of selling that first. And actually, after reading this thread, I'm deciding whether I really should go with stacks. My truck isn't all that fast so I don't want to attract races and then go to shame. The soot seems to be a problem too. And finally, I would have to cut a hole in my bed. Probably doesn't really matter, the truck isn't new. Stacks just look way cool. But I guess a 6" tip looks cool too. Oh, and with stacks I can't see the smoke in my right mirror. Ahh.. What should I do???
Old 12-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Banned

Super Trucker

Stacks ? Yeah right.... And I'm posta put them stacks where?
Attached Thumbnails Why Dont You Have Stacks?-imgp0027.jpg   Why Dont You Have Stacks?-imgp0045.jpg  
Old 12-16-2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Oh, and with stacks I can't see the smoke in my right mirror. Ahh.. What should I do???
For me this would be the deal breaker
Old 12-16-2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Howy
Not to get off track, but I think a big deterent here locally is some guy that had stacks on a gas v8 truck. some POS 90's Ford I think. Had huge semi stacks shooting out of the bed and wow.....worst sound Ive ever heard in my life.

Sorry to get off topic a little, but once I saw that, I never wanted them ever again!
Once I saw stacks on a 2nd Gen Dodge ram dually when I was up in Yosemite. They weren't the kind that stuck out the bed, they stuck out the sides of the truck. Like sticking out the side of the truck where the running boards go. So I get up close... Turns out it was a gasser. It had the nice v8 badge on it. At that point I thought it looked stupid. So I guess a diesel with stacks doesn't look any better with stacks than a gasser to the common folk.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:31 AM

You guys are funny!

Stacks RULE! Stacks RULE! Stacks RULE!

If done right they look AWESOME! I've had guys on DTR who hate stacks tell me they look good on my truck and after seeing mine done, they may reconsider. Kinda like ask'n the ugly girl to the prom and on prom night find'n out she cleaned up to be the hottest girl in school!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:53 AM

I think they look cool and sound cool, but they are not for me. For one, the kids like to hang out in back sometimes. The realist in me says any dual exaust look isn't for me.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Edited by Admin
Yep they look shiny & neato so long as you keep them clean, like all the rest of the truck. See they blow the exhaust UP and away from the other cars and people behind you, instead of blowing smoke & emissions on the cars/people/pedestrians around you. Shortcomings though? Never even crossed my mind...must be something in your own conscience.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Thread hijack, sorry.

In a somewhat similar subject to the "big rig" appeal of stacks, I have always wondered this:

What do you guys think the appeal of an external engine air cleaner be for our trucks? Let me explain.

Imagine on the R/H fender, where the radio antennae is, if there was a somewhat protruding cylindrical "can" that housed a BHAF vertically, with either an older MACK truck style black forward facing inlet scoop or a Pete style (chrome?) raincap. Not too big, just to scale of the truck, kind of recessed into the fender. All ducted thru the R/H inner fender to the turbo, functional, grabbing fresh outside air.

It would take cutting out some factory sheetmetal, on the fender, and the hood.

Maybe this has been discussed before, just throwing out an idea.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:17 PM

i have a couple reasons, and voted dont have the money, but given enough spare $ i prob would get a set

i dont want to cut into my bed

it would be sooooooo much harder to keep out of the skinny pedal

lots of people around here already have stacks

i like blowing smoke in the faces of tailgaters and in mass drivers (you know the term im going for) faces

when i bought the truck last month it has a brand new 3.5" exhaust kit on it

i dont have the time to waste on keeping stacks clean.... i have a hard enough time keeping the truck clean

i havent done enough fuel mods to create enough smoke to make stacks useful........
Old 12-16-2006, 03:22 PM

Wow, contrary to belief, apparently the majority don't like stacks. Guess people with stacks are just as loud as their truck.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:52 PM

Voted no because they are not cheap, dont want to cut the bed on my truck and dont want to worry about rain filling the exhaust with water. They do look bas *** though
Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Allen Hibbs
Voted no because they are not cheap, dont want to cut the bed on my truck and dont want to worry about rain filling the exhaust with water. They do look bas *** though
WELL..... you could run them on the outside of the bed and do bull haulers to stop the rain (problem solved)
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
WELL..... you could run them on the outside of the bed and do bull haulers to stop the rain (problem solved)
Thats true. But i think ill stick with the 18" tip i got got coming from summit for a while
Old 12-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Muted User

Bull Haulers dont look right around these parts blackdiesel.

Quick Reply: Why Dont You Have Stacks?