Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why buy an EZ when a VA is $100 less?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Va was around quite a while before the EZ came along, and has always been cheaper. What made the EZ more popular, is it makes more power. A newer version of the VA may have changed that.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DodgeCowboy83,

You mount the box under the hood on the fuse panel, the diagnostic plug is to the front or rear of the injection pump with a dead end (keeps dirt out etc) plug in it, then plug into the MAP sensor at the parting line of the cylinder head and the block to the rear behind the fuel filter. You're done and ready to run.
You'll be amazed at the HP change just form a simple van Aaken module. Call us if you need one.

Mark @ DPPI
Mark @ DPPI
Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
The Va was around quite a while before the EZ came along, and has always been cheaper. What made the EZ more popular, is it makes more power. A newer version of the VA may have changed that.
First I ever heard of that. Of course, I wasn't in the diesel game in '99 or 2000 so, so the earliest VA boxes may have been down on power compared to an EZ.

Since I've been into CTDs (early 2002), I've never heard of a VA being less powerful than an EZ.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:41 PM

I've heard of people stacking the EZ with other boxes (powermax?) and was wondering if the VA is a good candidate for this kind of thing. meaning if I go with the VA now, will I be able to add to it later for more gains (if I decide i want more )
Old 10-22-2005, 12:47 AM

I just got a VA off of eBay for $100. I think it is the older model, Smartbox R, which is supposed to work for 1998.5-2000 models. I have an 01 will this VA be able to work for me?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:35 PM
GSP

Hey guys , These VAs on Ebay, Is there a spacific or certai seller to look for? I did a serch on ebay for Van Aaken and only found 1 guy selling and he wanted $399, thats more $ than buying from one of this sites venders.

Are these VA off ebay your getting new or just random sales used?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:48 PM

On Ebay do your search under Dodge Cummins and also Dodge Diesel.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The seller is valleyfuel, the boxes actually come from BD diesel. The one I got appeared to be new. We had a mixup and I got the wrong one the first time. He exchanged it in a week or so.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:37 PM

I have done a lot of dynoing comparing different combos on the same trucks, the VA makes less peak power than the EZ. As for better bottum end with the VA the dyno does not show this to be a fact, from my experience both boxes deliver almost identical low and midrange power.

I know that I used to carry the VA line as well as PDR but both of us dropped them for the same reason, reliability. There were just to many problems arising with the VA units.

Doug
Old 10-23-2005, 01:45 PM
GSP

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
I have done a lot of dynoing comparing different combos on the same trucks, the VA makes less peak power than the EZ. As for better bottum end with the VA the dyno does not show this to be a fact, from my experience both boxes deliver almost identical low and midrange power.

I know that I used to carry the VA line as well as PDR but both of us dropped them for the same reason, reliability. There were just to many problems arising with the VA units.

Doug
Well which unit do you find with Less Problems arising?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:21 PM

None of them are without some problems..... Edge used to be great but lately even their QC isn't as good as it used to be. But we have less Edge units returned than VA by far, and any problems with the edge units are resolved very quickly.

Doug
Old 10-23-2005, 10:41 PM
GSP

Jetpilot ,Do you own and run a retail parts store? there is nothing in your profile that states that your running a business selling edge or Va products. And whats with the chocolatetown usa. Why should anyone belief anything you post?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 AM

GSP,

Yes I own a diesel business, my sig does not state this do to DTR's rules..... As for chocolatetown, its Hershey PA in the good old USA. Sorry about the confusion.

Doug
Old 10-24-2005, 08:03 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetpilot
GSP,

Yes I own a diesel business, my sig does not state this do to DTR's rules..... As for chocolatetown, its Hershey PA in the good old USA. Sorry about the confusion.

Doug
Advertising seems very reasonable on this site. You should work up something, pretty big audience and a lot of guys that are semi local to you.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 AM

P.J.

You are correct! We are working towards that now, hopefully everyone will see more very soon.

Doug

Quick Reply: Why buy an EZ when a VA is $100 less?