Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why buy an EZ when a VA is $100 less?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A used VA box went for around 170 last week on ebay. Another box you dont hear much about is the power puck.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOHN,

I have been saying this for years now, we are direct with both companies and we consistiently sell more Edge EZ's that van Aaken's, why I do not know!!!! The van Aaken seems to have a better bottom end off idle and costs less, they have been around as long if not longer than anyone making 24 valve boxes too. Just marketing I guess as van Aaken's is very hidden while Edge's is very available. Give us a call on either one of them and we will be glad to help you with them. We only stock the van Aaken that plugs thru the diagnostic port as it keeps your sticker stock and gets you the same performance as the version that plugs directly into the pump.

P.S. The both work great with the new Bosch 275RV's that we sell, it's a perfect twoing combo, or for soemone that just wants a nice HP bump.

Makr @ DPPI
Old 09-13-2005, 05:13 PM

I run the EZ but I only want the timing. With more fuel by truck would smoke like a freight train. Is there anyway to run the VA on timing only?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the Power Puck first came out it was junk. A few bad posts on the TDR and it was over for them. Guess it never got over that reputation. If you haven't noticed, reputation and "flavor of the month" have a lot to do with what sells and what doesn't. Edge has always enjoyed a good reputation, since day one, for many reasons. Many EZs were sold, early on, to happy owners and the reputation began. The VA always enjoyed a reputation of low end power boost, but it was the over 100 hp boost at 18-1900 rpm the EZ gives, which sold it, IMO.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:23 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, this is who I bought mine from. Had it in less then a week. Like I said, mine plugs into the pump.

Just keep an eye on his items and they come up consistently.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Banned

GlennRMK,

FYI if the picture that is posted with the ad is the box you actually received it is a very old design and is no longer made by van Aaken, looks like it is being sold by Valley Fuel aka BD products that is not an authorized van Aaken distributor. The van Aaken has used the European weatherproof ABS container for their modules for almost 3 years now, the picture shows the old extruded aluminium box that was use prior to the ABS one. Not that the product doesn't work as advertised but thought you and others would wnat to know it's old technology etc. We ONLY stock and sell the V series for the 24 valves that connects to the data port and MAp sensor , the one you showed connects to the pump itself, which requires you to break the pump seal. No biggie if you're out of pump warranty but if you aren't it's a possible problem etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
The VA always enjoyed a reputation of low end power boost, but it was the over 100 hp boost at 18-1900 rpm the EZ gives, which sold it, IMO.
I thought the VA and the EZ were very comparable in their power gains... I thought the EZ was only rated at 65hp. unfortunately, the EDGE website doesn't seem to be cooperating at the moment.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 AM

I'm very happy with my power puck, I bought it from Bama (member here) for $200. I dynoed at 252 hp and 640ft/lb with just it and an AFE stage 2 intake back in May on a dynojet. The best part is I don't have to open it up and move a jumper.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by micah
I thought the VA and the EZ were very comparable in their power gains... I thought the EZ was only rated at 65hp. unfortunately, the EDGE website doesn't seem to be cooperating at the moment.
Correct. The EZ gives a "max gain" of about 65hp. At peak hp (~2700rpm), it only adds about 40hp.

Edge advertises based on the "best gain" on the tq curve. If you run the numbers, you see that the 65hp gain is the result of the 180lb-ft gain, and 65hp= 180lb-ft right around 1900rpm.

So when they advertise "adds 65hp and 180lb-ft"-- they are, in fact, talking about ONE point on the curve, NOT TWO. This is simply the point of greatest difference between the stock and modified curves. Elsewhere on the curve, the numbers are way different. Just off idle, the difference is almost nil. As you pass 2000 rpm, the modified and stock curves get closer together.

Remember: "area under the curve" is the best measure of total HP or Tq.

h
Old 09-14-2005, 02:45 PM

The picture shown and what you actually get are different. Mine is the plastic weatherproof box. With boost fooler. Only down side is it plugs into the pump. But, not the end of the world.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 PM

no mention of the quad box for the 2001 models - anyone heard anything about them?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:42 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so let me get this straight if I order the va v5 all i have to do is find a place to mount it in the cab and run the plug under to the dignositc port and plug it in and its done or is there more to the story. Right now my truck is compleatly stock i dont want to change injectors i just want a little more hp and torq for towing i dont have the means or the want to start messing with injector changes. any input would be nice thanks
Old 09-17-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy83
so let me get this straight if I order the va v5 all i have to do is find a place to mount it in the cab and run the plug under to the dignositc port and plug it in and its done or is there more to the story. Right now my truck is compleatly stock i dont want to change injectors i just want a little more hp and torq for towing i dont have the means or the want to start messing with injector changes. any input would be nice thanks
The diagnostic port that the VA plugs into is NOT in the cab. It's under the hood, and has a plug already in it from the factory. IIRC, it's also only on 2001 and 2002 models. If you have an earlier model, you have to plug into the pump... That's the Smartbox R. The V5 plugs into the diagnostic port.

Clear as mud?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:30 AM

I am wondering which gives better MPG improvement assuming all other things being equal. I would love to see the TQ/HP curves for both on the same graph. I would easily give up peak for higher average.

Darkstar
Old 09-18-2005, 01:41 PM

I'd say with some confidence that a MAD ECM would have the best area-under-the-curve. Then the VA, then the EZ. All will show about the same peak hp gain (65-70hp or so around 1800-2000 rpm), but the WIDTH of the fat part of the curve would seem to indicate the ECM is the king of these so called "timing" modifications.

Quick Reply: Why buy an EZ when a VA is $100 less?