Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why a boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why a boost gauge?

Some of the gauges have obvious safety/functionality purposes, but what about the boost gauge?

Is it just an interesting piece of data? or is there actually useful data that it will provide you that you can do something with (change or ease up on the throttle to maximize efficiency, etc.)

With limited amount of gauge real estate (3 in the pillar), that's the one that seems expendable. Pyro, Trans/Diff temps, and Fuel pressure seem to be the critical items to monitor.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if you are after top performance, it will tell you if maybe you have a boost leak, or if you have a wastegate problem or need help adjusting your wastegate properly, also after adding more fuel with mods it'll tell you whether or not you are operating in the parameters of the turbo you have or if you need a bigger turbo.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by y2kram
.... but what about the boost gauge? Is it just an interesting piece of data? or is there actually useful data that it will provide you that you can do something with
You don't need one...unless you plan on adding injectors or fueling devices that tap the wire to the injector pump. Anything less, and you can do ok without!

But your signature looks like you have done a lot of preparation for adding fuel/HP...No?
If so, I'd be more inclined to give up my Tranny Temp gauge first. After looking at it for 3 yrs...I've never needed it ..... other than Dallas gridlock on a 100* day (got to 200*) or backing a trailer up a long driveway (250*). Now I just go to neutral and a fast idle to keep things cool if stuck in bumper to bumper!
This assumes you have a full rebuilt Suncoast tranny.

RJ
Old 06-14-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Abbynormal
Well if you are after top performance, it will tell you if maybe you have a boost leak, or if you have a wastegate problem or need help adjusting your wastegate properly, also after adding more fuel with mods it'll tell you whether or not you are operating in the parameters of the turbo you have or if you need a bigger turbo.
Or when to back out of it before your headgasket goes 'pop'!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
But your signature looks like you have done a lot of preparation for adding fuel/HP...No?
RJ
Hard to say at this point. I can feel the insanity setting in, though... but I am pretty happy with how it runs right now. I think some injectors will find their way under the hood in a year or two.

Priority to me right now are gauges and then address the fuel system (pump and line kit). Have 150,000 mi. on it and haven't had any engine problems but have replaced normal stuff like alternator & starter.

I did lose 2nd gear a couple years ago which is why I had the tranny rebuilt using Suncoast.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:35 PM

You don't have to stop with 3 on the a-pillar either...

Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by NOSPIN4ME
Doug, Nice looking setup! Can't see what's mounted in the Rod Pod??

Dyno #'s seem very low? Must be the stock turbo?....can't even picture an HY-35 with all that fuel

RJ
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM

By itself, the boost guage doesn't really tell you that much. But when combined with egt, rpm, and throttle setting, it says volumes about what is happening with the engine performance.

If you're going to throw out any guage, make it the fuel pressure. Sooner or later, you'll realize that fuel pressure just isn't a big enough factor in vp44 failures to be constantly monitoring it. Occasionally taking a pressure reading at the test port on the pump, itself, is all that's necessary.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

I would ditch the tranny temp gauge, mine barely moves and was kind of a waste of money.......but I figured I'd be better safe than sorry!!

~Nick
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Doug, Nice looking setup! Can't see what's mounted in the Rod Pod??

Dyno #'s seem very low? Must be the stock turbo?....can't even picture an HY-35 with all that fuel

RJ
Yep, all that fuel with an HY-35. It's not happy either.

That pod you mention is a Scotty piece. There's more in there now...TC lock up switch is what you see in the pick, with a couple of LEDs.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by NOSPIN4ME

wow...kinda reminds me of an airplane cockpit
Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Most guys with a 24v run a boost pyro and fuel pressure.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 PM

is it possible, or worth running a trans temp gauge on the 6 spd manual or not
Old 06-15-2006, 07:43 PM

hey nospin4me, can you list all of your guages are? i can't read them, i tried your gallery and i still can't read them, and i'm sooo curious as to what all those guages could be saying!

thanks.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by CumminsRedneck
is it possible, or worth running a trans temp gauge on the 6 spd manual or not
Pretty much a waste of time I would think,as it is your clutch that you would have to worry about, not the temp of the fluid in the gear box.Some guys run diff temps

Quick Reply: Why a boost gauge?