Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Whos got the best Locker for D70

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whos got the best Locker for D70

With the addition of the 370s, 4k gsk and the goerends tranny. I now have the need for a locker. Just wondering who has the best one for daily/ strip driving. I dont ever tow and install is no problem seeing how my boss knows how to do all the backlash and what nots. I drive it like I stole it so i want it to hold up.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:57 PM

a full detroit is all but drunk proof but they do clank and clang a bit.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:43 PM

Detroit is the only one to consider. but for street/strip, wouldn't an LSD be better for you?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree, for the best street manners and street/strip performance, there will not be a substitute for a Dana Powr-Lok LS.

A Detroit is great for hard offroad use....I have owned several but would not consider one for a street truck.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
I agree, for the best street manners and street/strip performance, there will not be a substitute for a Dana Powr-Lok LS.
I disagree. If you want to best go with ARB. You get the best of both worlds. Open for street and spool for the strip.

But last I checked an ARB for a D70 was $800+. You'll also need a compressor and lines. After it's all said and done it will be over $1000 for parts.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned

I thought the ARB came with the compressor and what not?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlue
I thought the ARB came with the compressor and what not?

Nope

the compressor is usually 250 dollars or more extra, and installation of the darn thing can run it up to 2K or so total...

Rick
Old 01-26-2006, 06:02 PM

i run arb's in my d70/d60 combo in my wheeler rig. by far the better of teh selectable lockers out there. pricy = yes but you get what you pay for.

jiMMy
Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yarddog
I disagree. If you want to best go with ARB. You get the best of both worlds. Open for street and spool for the strip.

But last I checked an ARB for a D70 was $800+. You'll also need a compressor and lines. After it's all said and done it will be over $1000 for parts.
Don't get me wrong, I like ARB's....I have owned a few of them too.....I run one in the front of my Jeep.......but to me, I have no use for them in a rear axle application. I have simply NEVER wanted or had the need for a completely open rear. To me, the ARB is the worst of both worlds in a rear axle application - open which is completely useless since it is very quick to lose traction and by the time you realize you have lost traction you must manually engage it and are now stuck with a spool that you will have to manually disengage again. Those familar with the Powr-Lok already know that you don't have to bother with any of this in a street appliction. It is a brutally strong and durable LS that operates automatically and seemlessly before traction is ever lost and does so without the need for any driver input. Performnce is amazing and flawless with the Plok - ther isn't another LS that performs as well.

Now for a front axle application for offroad use, I couldn't agree more that a manually selectable locker is the best of both worlds.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've learned to live in harmony (somewhat) with my detroit. Clicks, pops and the occasional POW! when it locks in under power don't even bother me anymore. At first, it was most un-nerving, though...
Old 01-26-2006, 07:16 PM
JAX

Go with the Detroit, they're absolutely bulletproof. You'll get the hang of driving with it and at first, when you decelerate and then accelerate in the middle of a turn, you will sh*t your pants, then you'll be fine! LMAO! Seriously though, the Detroit is by far the best locker to put in these heavy trucks of ours. The auto tranny will take alot of the jarring out of the locker, while a manual will magnify it, but it's worth it. There are no air lines to route or get hung up on, no compressor to deal with, no switch to flip, just 100% traction to both wheels, all the time.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only downside is that I don't have enough horsepower (yet) or clutch to light 'em up in 3rd
Old 01-26-2006, 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions but today a d70 with a limited slip seemed to have just fallen into my lap.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too would opt for the Power Loc in this application. With cone clutches, you can add or subtract the ammount of clutches to dial in your preload. If you want a boost on icy roads, or off-road on loose stuff, it's the one. It will live a prettys long life on the street too. Yeah, I've had many others in Jeeps over the years, (trash loc, power loc, ARB, Detroit, Lock Rite) but the Detroit is just too ruff with all that weight on the rear axle (if you have a camper, or tow some big stuff), as is any full, gear driven locker, not to mention their iff-y control on pure ice. I'm a contrarian, but I don't think full lockers under a CTD hold up all that well, especially if your toting 15-20K lbs on the street.
The factory Trac Loc has a short life expectancy under that big weight.
Now, if this rig is to be a dedicated off-roader, with no towing or weight bearing, Detroits or ARB would be more desireable.
Just some very long term opinion here: 40 years of using traction aids on Jeeps, Land Cruisers, International Harvesters, and Dodges.
regards, as always, jefe
Old 01-29-2006, 03:14 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by jefe4x4
The factory Trac Loc has a short life expectancy under that big weight.
Now, if this rig is to be a dedicated off-roader, with no towing or weight bearing, Detroits or ARB would be more desireable.
The factory limited slips in these trucks are Powr-Loks.

Quick Reply: Whos got the best Locker for D70