Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

WhooHoo

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhooHoo

Schedueled for tranny work on the 18th (should be good to 450HP). Ordering Smarty tomorrow from DTR. Think I have my gauge issue almost resolved. COnsidering a set of 90HP injectors to top it all off, though I will probably see how things go with the Smarty first.

Am I over looking anything?? WOuld like to have everything covered before doing the installs. Boost elbow etc??? Will I be able to run the Smarty on high setting without cooking something??

Main question is am I missing anything to make the bombs work properly?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned

Yeah, a new turbo.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:28 AM

The boost elbow should come with the Smarty- at least Bob includes it. Just ask about it when you call.

Once you have guages you'll know if somethings not right. Some small injectors would be a good next step, but if ya go too big you might need that turbo mentioned above.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Some small injectors would be a good next step, but if ya go too big you might need that turbo mentioned above.
What about a TST instead of the injectors? It would still let you use the timing of the Smarty, and you could turn it down/off when you don't need/want the power from it. And that way you could possibly negate the need for a turbo right now. Especially if you use the TST for short bursts of playing and then you can turn it down to keep EGTs in check while towing.

Just a thought from a 12v guy.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Forgoing the TST for now. I already have a Dr. P stage II module and as far as I can tell they should work well together. I think I have a line on a set of Dr. P stage III 90hp injectors having approx 5,500 miles on them for $350 w/ NO core charge. I am considering those. How much power can the stock turbo cool??

The advertised numbers for my current set up would be
stock - 215hp 420#'s
+ Dr. P - 295hp 555#'s
+ inject - 385hp 765#'s
+ Smarty - I have no idea what kind of numbers Smarty claims to make.

Obviously these numbers are probably somewhat inflated. But will the stock turbo handle it??
Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Ok so after speaking with Larry??(I think that is what he said his name was) over at DTR I think I have set my mind on what I want to do. I am going to forgo the injectors for now and see how the Turbo hold out to the Smarty and Dr. P stack. If it holds I will re-think the injector deal. If not I guess I will have to start saving again for a hybrid. I also decided to forgo analog gauges and get a digital LCD by Quadzilla. I figure with the billet TC, VB upgrade, Dr.P, Smarty, and LCD coupled with the mods in my sig, the ol' rattler should scoot pretty good. NOw I need to go call my exhaust guy about replacing the 4" with 5" stacks!!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
Ok so after speaking with Larry??(I think that is what he said his name was) over at DTR I think I have set my mind on what I want to do. I am going to forgo the injectors for now and see how the Turbo hold out to the Smarty and Dr. P stack. If it holds I will re-think the injector deal. If not I guess I will have to start saving again for a hybrid. I also decided to forgo analog gauges and get a digital LCD by Quadzilla. I figure with the billet TC, VB upgrade, Dr.P, Smarty, and LCD coupled with the mods in my sig, the ol' rattler should scoot pretty good. NOw I need to go call my exhaust guy about replacing the 4" with 5" stacks!!

If the our stock turbo (At the old shop i used to work for in Texas) held a Drag comp and 180 HP injectors (Boss though he knew better) I think you will just fine. The thing smoked like heck, but ran a hole in the wind!....BUT keep this in mind, you are taking the timing control away from the Smarty (#8 instead of #9)....which will work...but from others testing on this site...wont yield the full potential...
Old 08-08-2006, 05:41 PM

Why would I be taking the timing away from the Smarty? Because of the Dr. P?? It is my understanding that the Dr. P does not add timing. It does not hook up to the ECM, or M sensor. It hooks to +,-, and one wire to the pump.
My current concern is that the stock turbo is only rated good to 280 hp (per cummins) and I will be WAY over that.

Also, with the stock turbo, would there be any waste gate mods that need to be made?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Why would I be taking the timing away from the Smarty? Because of the Dr. P?? It is my understanding that the Dr. P does not add timing. It does not hook up to the ECM, or M sensor. It hooks to +,-, and one wire to the pump.
My current concern is that the stock turbo is only rated good to 280 hp (per cummins) and I will be WAY over that.

Also, with the stock turbo, would there be any waste gate mods that need to be made?

AHH....well i can honestly say that i dont have any experience with the Dr. Performance Module for the 2nd Gen 24V truck...i just assumed that it pluged into the Map and Datalink like the others did. If it does tap to the pump, it a fuel box. SO you should be good on #9 then. (BUT i would double check first)

As for the stock turbo.....they can handle WAY more than 280....there're way to many people on here proving that wrong! Ever look up what the "Rated" HP for a NV-4500 is? HAHA.....it would scare you...you wouldn't want to put an EZ on it! BUT people are sticking way more than double the power to these transmisisons with no to little issue.....soo......take it with a pinch of salt.....
Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM

Just got off the phone with Dr. P and was informed that per their own experience the Dr. P module stacks fine with the Smarty. They say their module does not control the same perameters as the Smarty and therefore will not interfere. So I should be able to run the catcher+timing on the Smarty and be OK. The actually told me that they thought the Smarty complemented their product nicely and unofficially had nothing but good things to say about the Smarty. I'm thrilled. Smarty and QZ Recon XZT should both be on the way. Those coupled with the schedueld tranny work and what I already have and I will hoenstly be able to tell people my rig has been BOMBED!!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
look for the brown truck tomorrow
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 AM

I think it will work nicely: smarty + 80 hp fueling box + built auto.
That hybrid is rated around the same hp as your trans so it sounds like you have a well balanced plan. I'm guessing you don't want to lose the exhaust brake?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:23 PM

I surely want to keep the exhaust brake. As far as a the turbo goes I will have to see how that 35 handles the Smarty first. If it does ok I'll try adding sticks, after that I am sure a turbo is going to be neccesary.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:29 PM

I surely want to keep the exhaust brake. As far as a the turbo goes I will have to see how that 35 handles the Smarty first. If it does ok I'll try adding sticks, after that I am sure a turbo is going to be neccesary.
I had + or - 390/865 on the stock HX35 on my truck with no issues. No real egt issues to speak of either.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:06 AM

well that os good to hear. Hopefully I can get away with those 90 HP injectors without an issue then.