Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Who has a High Tech Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has a High Tech Turbo?

I am oh so close to purchasing a new turbo. It looks like I will be getting a HTB2 from HTT. I will have to get rid of my exhaust brake but that's the price ya pay i guess. HTT seems to have good prices. My power goals are around 450/950 so I think the HTB2 will work good. I would like to hear from anyone who has purchased/installed a turbo from HTT. How is it working out?

It looks like Piers has a B1 EX3 that would allow me to keep my brake, I'm not sure it will keep things cool enough though and it's about $400 more.

Am I making the right choice here?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
HTT has good stuff but the e-brake decision is a tough one, that's why I always suggest that person buys an inline brake even if they think they'll never change turbos.
Whether or not you have to get rid of the brake is your decision, if you are towing they are indispensable and it would be quite an expense to replace with an inline, much more than the extra $400 from Piers.

Sometimes with decisions like this flipping a coin is the answer. If you don't like the answer the coin gives you then you'll know which way you really feel you should go.

The Banks is a nice brake, personally I'd go with Piers' turbo, but that's just me.
Beware, the B1 is a loud turbo that likes to bark with just the slightest move of the throttle.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you called Piers about his B-1 with a HX-35 outlet? I am not sure if it will work for you, but it might not hurt to ask before you have to get a new exhaust brake.

It sucks to think that you will not "need" ok, want more power and have to go a repurchase an item to work with a new combination. I have about decided that I will just limit myself to a hybrid. But, who knows.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't waste the money on a B1 with the HX35 outlet, as the outlet ends up so restrictive that you get half the turbo performance you are paying for.

Better to do as Bill described, and go with an inline brake that will let you have all kinds of turbo options

Have you considered the Edge/DD ball bearing unit? They have the kinks mostly worked out (from what I hear), and it's $1600 or so for a 2nd gen setup. I think it's a good deal for what you get (if it holds up).

JLH
Old 06-29-2005, 06:58 PM

I've had my HTB2 for about nine months now and love it. It spools faster than the stock turbo wiith a 16cm housing and really added alot of seat of the pants feel. It dosn't keep the exhaust as cool as I hoped, because of the 12cm housing I optted for, but it takes a while longer to bury the needle than it did. I think the 14cm housing or even a step up to the killer B2 would make a big difference in temps. One thing about it, what ever combanation you go with, down the road as your needs change, HTT can upgrade the turbo for you pretty cheap. Good luck with your decision, Darl Absher III
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by HOHN
Don't waste the money on a B1 with the HX35 outlet, as the outlet ends up so restrictive that you get half the turbo performance you are paying for.

Better to do as Bill described, and go with an inline brake that will let you have all kinds of turbo options

Have you considered the Edge/DD ball bearing unit? They have the kinks mostly worked out (from what I hear), and it's $1600 or so for a 2nd gen setup. I think it's a good deal for what you get (if it holds up).

JLH
Oh yeah? Even if the darn thing nows stays together, how does it compare to some of the other big singles?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 PM

My friend just put on the HTB2 and he really likes it alot. It didnt cool things down a ton and for him doesn't spool as fast as his stock one but he loves it.

And from what i understand they are easily upgraded if you ever want a bunch more power. I called HTT today and they said they can make a HTB2 into a Sled puller 66 for a little over 300. Which is what he is going to do later.

Anyway he loves it just thought i would post that.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running a HTB2 with the 14 cm exhaust housing for the last year and a half. It is one of the first ones High Tech produced.

It's a very good trubo.

I have no egt issues while towing, even at 9 to 10,000 ft elevation, but have seen the temps get to 1500* a few times when REALLY pushing it hard. Drive pressures are 1 to 1, or better, up to about 45 lbs boost. Spoolup is better than my hybrid HX35 with a 14 cm waste gated housing. Cooling is much better than my PDR HX40 was. Boost went to 55 lbs once in Yuma, AZ, (about 400 ft elevation) but only goes to 45 around here (4200 ft elevation).

It does bark easy.

The HTB2s are holding up very well on the third gens running the older, more agressive, TST boxes, which can really blow turbos easy.

My last dyno reading was 542 hp at a meet in Veags, last Nov. Boost was 45 lbs on the Dynojet during the pulls and it would pull 50 on the street there.

Truck is an '01 ETH.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by duke1n
Oh yeah? Even if the darn thing nows stays together, how does it compare to some of the other big singles?
Well, isn't that the million-dollar question! I wish I knew the answer.

There are so many flavor-of-the-month larger singles out there now that it's almost impossible to sort through them all, not to mention that "old standbys". The SHORT list would include

Airwerks Cool Twist from Rip
HTTs Sledpuller 66
Phat Shaft 66 from Industrial Injection
JR's lil55 and Schwitzer charger
Holset's super 40 and pro 52
The zillion B1 variants
Pius' USB and WSB
Edge/DD BB charger
ATS' Aurora 5000

On and on and on! Maybe the ATS variable charger is *THE* single, but I just can't see spending that much on a single when you're most of the way to twins.

Picking a charger is probably the worst/toughest decision in bombing. By comparison, picking injectors or boxes is CAKE!

jlh
Old 06-30-2005, 11:44 PM

has anyone ever used one of haisley's turbos they are real expensive about the same price as twins. he said they are modified s400's whatever that is. they must be pretty good and withstand a beating if they are using them
Old 07-01-2005, 12:14 AM

Which Haisley Turbo?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:28 AM

i've only seen one on their website, i think it is the same one he showed me at his shop
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM

hale that turbo is based of the same frame as the b2 . so im going to guess as a single it would be a little laggy to the point it would not be street friendly .
Old 03-10-2006, 10:31 PM

I have a first gen. HTT modified my H1C and machined the compressor side to an HX 40 with a 16 CM exhaust housing. It has been a good turbo, spools quickly and I have seen 44 PSI boost.
HTT does good work
Old 03-11-2006, 01:57 PM

IMO HTT all the way. Their customer service is awsome,prices are better and they build and stand behind a bullet proof turbo. I would call and talk to paul at htt. He will take the time to help make sure you choose the right turbo for your setup.

mooseman

Quick Reply: Who has a High Tech Turbo?