Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

white clearance lights question....i need this resolved

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white clearance lights question....i need this resolved

Is it illegal to have white clearance lights on the top of my cab?? A few people have told me that they must be amber if they're facing forward but I have seen some white ones before. I have clear clearance lights (clear lenses) but they came with the amber LEDs so I ordered white LEDs to replace them. But if it is illegal for some reason, I won't bother switching the LEDs out, so someone let me know! thanks

Dane
Old 08-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've been running them for almost 4 years, and I have not had a problem...
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 PM

Yes depending on what state you live in. It is one of those things that you can get away with if for 4 years and then one day it will bite you in the butt.
Ask yourself how bad is the economy in your state. If it is bad and the Bears are hungry for anything to generate and income.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:12 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

There supposed to be amber when lit. The clear lenses are ok. But at night, they should be amber. Lighting is a highway safety thing. White lights are for roadway illumination, or vehicle identification i.e. license plate (but they can not face forward). All others must be amber (front) or red (rear). If you see white and/or lights, the vehicle is moving toward you. Red, same direction as you. Always better to follow the rules, as Rott-n-dawg states they are definitely looking now.

FWIW The reason the Hat has not been pulled is he has the AHP, and city cops for eighty miles scared of him. When he left SC, you could hear the sigh for three states in all directions...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wyododge
FWIW The reason the Hat has not been pulled is he has the AHP, and city cops for eighty miles scared of him. When he left SC, you could hear the sigh for three states in all directions...
The what?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Arizona Highway Patrol
Old 08-30-2010, 02:45 PM

thanks guys, I guess I'll just follow the rules for now.... I just really like the look of the white ones better than the amber ones for some reason. maybe I'll have the lenses tinted so it gives the 'smoked' look and they arent so bright. thanks again.

i live in PA by the way

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM

I just changed out the bulb in one of my clearance lights... can you tell me the best way to prevent leaks? For some reason, I am paranoid it will start leaking now... The guy at the shop said to put a small amount of vasaline around the seal. ?? Any advice anyone??
Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by teamropingal
I just changed out the bulb in one of my clearance lights... can you tell me the best way to prevent leaks? For some reason, I am paranoid it will start leaking now... The guy at the shop said to put a small amount of vasaline around the seal. ?? Any advice anyone??
Vaseline will soften the rubber of the seals, and help them stay pliable and soft. If the seals look cracked and faded, or seem like they are hardening, you might want to consider replacing them. You can run a garden hose over them and then see if they are leaking under controlled conditions. Might get a couple of drops inside, but not ruin anything. If you did find a leak you would be able to be proactive, not reactive. Always a better situation to be in.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by bortzy93
thanks guys, I guess I'll just follow the rules for now.... I just really like the look of the white ones better than the amber ones for some reason. maybe I'll have the lenses tinted so it gives the 'smoked' look and they arent so bright. thanks again.

i live in PA by the way
They can be any color you like, as long as when they are lit they are amber. If they are to bright you may be able to put a dimmer on them (?). I know that ISSpro gauges are led and they have a dimmer that you can add to them.

Just a thought.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by wyododge
Vaseline will soften the rubber of the seals, and help them stay pliable and soft. If the seals look cracked and faded, or seem like they are hardening, you might want to consider replacing them. You can run a garden hose over them and then see if they are leaking under controlled conditions. Might get a couple of drops inside, but not ruin anything. If you did find a leak you would be able to be proactive, not reactive. Always a better situation to be in.
The rubber seal actually looked really good! In fact, it looked brand new. Great idea about running a garden hose over it.. but then I will be tempted to also get out the soap, LOL.