Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Where's the smoke, and all this torque everybody is talkin about????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Where's the smoke, and all this torque everybody is talkin about????

I agree with you Gary.<br>I raced my truck one night with some of the other diesel heads from this area. The main reason was to see if the fueling box I have made a difference. It went about 5 mph faster and smoked alot more. <br>IMO Smoke is is HP going out the tail pipe. Some smoke is COOL ;D 8) ;D <br>See Ya<br>Chris
Old 07-19-2003, 03:19 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Re:Where's the smoke, and all this torque everybody is talkin about????

I believe there is a performance reference chart on the Dodge Ram web site for a stock truck and lots of tsb's to check out. That is if you think there is something wrong with the truck. Just a thought.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:12 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your boost line boots possibly even pressure test the system, then check your fuel pressure at the between the injector pump and injectors. something is not right in your system. my friend in missoula bough an eth stock and it didnt have the snap of mine but under a load it pulled really well. he added a box and saw very little improvement dd2's though and away the truck went. changed fuel filter lately?

The lack of air would definately prevent the system from sensing any load being placed on the motor thus lack of power in demanding situations

Good luck
dusty
Old 02-24-2004, 04:01 PM

i have to agree, some smoke is awesome, or a lot of controled smoke is also sweet. but its also nice to use that power
Old 02-24-2004, 07:49 PM

if you talk to TST they will tell you that the PM3 will not smoke. the standard PM3 with adjustable remote is 50 state emmissins legal, therefore the fuel is added with boost to keep the truck from smoking.the PM3 does not add extra timing unless you send it back to TST to have it reprogrammed to the competition version. then level 4 is the same as level 9.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 PM
The Guru

I wonder how good your injection pump is?? When mine started to die the smoke stopped and so did the power. If you ran your lift pump for any lenght of time at 1-2psi, your VP44 would be suspect. Check your engine codes. With a new injection pump, I sure can dump a good smoker. Can even do a decent burn-out.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be VERY suspicious of a boost leak. Why?

Well, not only does the TST work of boost to determine fueling, but SO DOES THE STOCK ECM.

If you loosened a boost hose and then drove around, you would get a little bit of smoke and a LOT less fuel. Without the MAP input, the ECM will limit fueling at a very low level.

Same thing for the PMAX. With no boost, you get no fuel.

So check for boost leaks: intercooler boots, and especially your gauge connections. I had a hairline crack in my boost tubing that cost me 6 psi peak boost!

Soapy water can help you diagnose a pressure leak. Look for bubbles.

I would also be VERY suspicious of your MAP sensor. If you don't have a leak, then there is SOME kind of failure in the chain of events that tells the ECM/fueling box that you have boost.

Justin
Old 02-26-2004, 04:57 PM

Guys guys, check the dates. someone resurected this post. That no power, no torque, no smoke, no response problem is long gone. When I put the RV 275's on it was like night and day. HUGE difference. So something was wrong with the stock injnectors. Now I can make 36#'s of boost, slip the clutch at will, do a 150ft+ burnourt starting in third gear and make nice juicy smoke clouds which really anger the yuppies when they are tailgating me.

Life has been good since August. Stock ETH injectors are LAME.

Now I just wish I would have gone even bigger.....

Zino
Old 02-27-2004, 07:48 PM

Aren't you guys ashamed of yourself.

There goes his clutch or the headgasket. Then he'll need an input shaft, bigger injectors,twins.When will this maddness stop.We should have been silent,and just let him think his Chevy was just more powerful than those little 6cylinder Dodges.His kids will have to do without shoes,while he' saving for the twins.Enjoy the ride Zino.Merv