Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to start?

I have 2001 ram with 24v cummins that is all stock.I do tow a trailer sometimes and I was am curious what I can do to increase power and performance while also being safe about it.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Banned

The first things you will want to do is intake and exhaust. Then gauges and a fueling box of some sort.

A diesel can draw as much air as it wants to burn the fuel that is injcted. The intake and exhaust make it able to pull more air, and get the hot air away from the trubo quicker.

The gauges let you see what is going on, so you can be safe about adding more fuel.

I would reccomend a BHAF as far as the intake (do a search on it) Or a Scotty II. I have heard nothing but great things about either. But they do each have a place.

Exhaust, STRAIGHT PIPE. Personal prefrences... You can buy a 4in kit, or go to a local muffler shop and have them remove your muffler. You already do not have a cat, just a muffler and resonator... I had a shop cut out the muffler and move the exhaust to dump out infront of the axle for $40. Sounds awesome.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:39 AM

Id go gauges first (boost, pyro, trans), then exhaust (any 4 inch with NO cat), then intake (probably AFE Stage 1 or 2), the an Edge Comp box. Thats a very common setup that I ran for awile and had good power that didnt seem too much for the tranny.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
The first things you will want to do is intake and exhaust. Then gauges and a fueling box of some sort.

A diesel can draw as much air as it wants to burn the fuel that is injcted. The intake and exhaust make it able to pull more air, and get the hot air away from the trubo quicker.

The gauges let you see what is going on, so you can be safe about adding more fuel.

I would reccomend a BHAF as far as the intake (do a search on it) Or a Scotty II. I have heard nothing but great things about either. But they do each have a place.

Exhaust, STRAIGHT PIPE. Personal prefrences... You can buy a 4in kit, or go to a local muffler shop and have them remove your muffler. You already do not have a cat, just a muffler and resonator... I had a shop cut out the muffler and move the exhaust to dump out infront of the axle for $40. Sounds awesome.

Id do gauges first,

Displaced, has the best idea, cept gauges should be first on the list, anytime you are gonna alter fuel, or anything on these monsters, is best to be able to diagnose rather than second guess many of your adjustments,

Tx
Old 11-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Id recommend against a BHAF, and put in gauges, exhaust, and a fueling box.

Underhood temps are pretty hot. Even with the "heatshields" most air intake places provide, installing a "Bhaf" pulls temps that are much hotter than a stock airbox. Cooler air = power. The stock airbox pulls air from the fender, not engine compartment, which is way way cooler air.

If anyone is stuck on the idea of a cone filter, id suggest some 4" tubing run out side of the engine bay, or a co2 sprayer on the intercooler to keep temps down.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:50 PM

u sound like ur low on cash as was my situation...dont alter fueling till u have backup money for a tranny and till u have gauges

just straight pipe ur exhaust and you'll love the sound....you'll even believe u have more power cause it sounds meaner...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by mr T
you'll even believe u have more power cause it sounds meaner...
Believe theres more power.. lol