Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Where to put nitrous nozzle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where to put nitrous nozzle

Hi all,

I'm about to put a single fogger nozzle on the dually. I have too much fuel and not enough turbo, and a dyno shootout is about to happen here. I'm gonna spray it to clear some of the terrible smoke up and lower egt's. I'm starting with a #30 nitrous pill, and I'm adding no fuel. My question is, where should I put the fogger nozzle? I'm kinda leaning toward putting it after the intercooler, to give the intercooler a chance to cool the charge before I further cool it with the nitrous. Is there enough distance between the outlet of the intercooler and the cylinders to allow good, homogenous mixing of the nitrous with the air? Or, do I need to plumb it in before the intercooler to allow more time for it to mix? My feeling is that just after the intercooler will be enough distance/time, and it'll benefit from getting all the cooling the intercooler can deliver before the nitrous spray does the final cooling. Any of you guys have advice here?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think so, as I've seen some nozzles right in the air horn (24V). You could do both, one before and after
Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nah, one will do! Looks like it will go in the pipe between the intercooler and the air horn on the intake manifold.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's where I'd plumb it: in the steel pipe just after the after cooler.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Chapter President

Really, the best spot for a fogger nozzle would be as close to the combustion chamber as possible. Since NO2 atomizes instantly out of the nozzle on it's own under very high pressure and already contains oxygen, mixing with the incoming air charge is kind of a moot point. Also, NO2 is very cold and you want to make sure it will stay as cold as reasonably possible.....mounting the nozzle farther and farther up stream in the intake plumbing will only make it warmer....even though it will mix with the intake charge and cool the intake charge, it will have been atomized for far too long and warmed up significantly to the point that will have lost a large percentage of it's density and will not be able to offer the max power gain that it could have .....running it through the charge air cooler will only warm it up even more.

All you have to do is look at where the NO2 nozzles are on a race car or street fogger set up....they at the bottom of the intake runners and as close to the intake ports in the cylinder head as possible.

Mount the nozzle in the air horn.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does nitrous actually add power to our trucks?, or is it just for cooling purposes in high HP/temp applications....ie; pulling or drag racing or towing real heavy.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Chapter President

Oh yeah! It adds power!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:25 AM

I dont know if it is a good idea,but I've heard of gas engines injecting the nitrous directly into the turbocharger in order to cool the charge.This was in an import car application if I remember,a volkswagen VR6 I think running 30psi
Old 04-03-2006, 01:07 AM

They spray nitrous onto the intercooler for better cooling. I beleive the srt4 does this with water.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Really, the best spot for a fogger nozzle would be as close to the combustion chamber as possible. Since NO2 atomizes instantly out of the nozzle on it's own under very high pressure and already contains oxygen, mixing with the incoming air charge is kind of a moot point. Also, NO2 is very cold and you want to make sure it will stay as cold as reasonably possible.....mounting the nozzle farther and farther up stream in the intake plumbing will only make it warmer....even though it will mix with the intake charge and cool the intake charge, it will have been atomized for far too long and warmed up significantly to the point that will have lost a large percentage of it's density and will not be able to offer the max power gain that it could have .....running it through the charge air cooler will only warm it up even more.

All you have to do is look at where the NO2 nozzles are on a race car or street fogger set up....they at the bottom of the intake runners and as close to the intake ports in the cylinder head as possible.

Mount the nozzle in the air horn.

What he said!